3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Your Thoughts On Shooting Sow Bears  (Read 899 times)

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Your Thoughts On Shooting Sow Bears
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2015, 06:05:00 AM »
My thought is that once the law is complied with hunting ethics are an individual thing...I would not ask anyone to give me permission to kill an animal legally...we seem to live in a time when internet pundits must be consulted for permission before proceeding...not my cup of tea

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline dbd870

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2015, 06:54:00 AM »
Originally posted by damascusdave:
My thought is that once the law is complied with hunting ethics are an individual thing...I would not ask anyone to give me permission to kill an animal legally...we seem to live in a time when internet pundits must be consulted for permission before proceeding...not my cup of tea

DDave
Well said!
SWA Spyder

Online oldtimerbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2015, 07:51:00 AM »
Pick up the book Understanding Michigan Black Bears by Richard P Smith. There are a few chapters on bear cubs that are very informative . Mr Smith loves black bears and is very well informed on bears in the wild. I would not shoot a sow with cubs
oldtimerbow

Offline bowberry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2015, 09:06:00 AM »
I've never bear hunted but I would like to.
   I've been pondering the same question.

I just saw the video of the bears playing in the swimming pool.After seeing that I think that I would pass on a sow with cubs.But thats just me.

With that being said, I don't think you could crash a healthy bear population if some hunters chose to shoot mama bear.

In the end I feel that my hunting ethics are between me and God and the bear. We'll work it all out together,alone.
Black locust selfwood longbow
52#@28"
Great Plains Longbow 55#@28"

Offline Brock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2015, 09:09:00 AM »
I would never shoot a sow with cubs even if she was dry and no longer nursing as it is impossible to tell that at bow range.  If the cubs are with her then you got to treat them like they are nursing.

That being said I would shoot a "dry" Sow if really old or if it was an accident.  Actually, my bear was just that...thought it was a boar...big head, wide body, perfect coat with no rubs or rippling on the sides, no cubs or other small bears with her.  

That being said I think cubs that are in their 2nd spring will survive fine as that is when the mother would kick them out anyhow.  The first Spring...I don't think would work.....other bears would be their biggest threat and wolves I would think.

Here is my sow that even the guide thought was a boar until we turned her over to drag over log.  I am getting her tooth aged as he suspected her to be over 14 years...teeth worn and yellowed...large skull (almost 19") and 300# with no fat on her at all for a Spring Bear except small fat saucers on each haunch the size of my hand.

Sows with cubs are illegal most everywhere.  Dry Sows without cubs in attendance are not in most places.  Follow the laws and then make your choice.  I had no intention of shooting a sow though legal if not accompanied by cubs in Saskatchewan.  Sometimes mistakes happen...as I was convinced she was a big boar.

Keep em sharp,

Ron Herman
Compton's Traditional Bowhunters
Backcountry Hunters & Anglers
PBS Assoc since 1988
NRA Life
USAF Retired (1984-2004)

Offline Etter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2015, 09:35:00 AM »
If you really want to understand the lives if bears, read both of Ben Kilham's books. There is nobody alive who has spent more time with wild black bears. The most fascinating reading Ive ever done and clarified a lot of things Ive been wondering about for ages.

Offline zepnut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2015, 09:36:00 AM »
Also would not shoot a sow with cubs.

Offline Whitetail Addict

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2015, 10:26:00 AM »

DDave
I'm not looking for anybodys permission to kill a sow bear with cubs Dave. As I stated in my original post, even though It's legal where I hunt in the Adirondacks, It's never seemed right to to me, and I've never done it.

After talking with the biologist, and assuming that he'd know what he was talking about regarding bears, I simply asked for the thoughts of the others here.

If we knew each other personally, you'd know that that asking for permission to legally kill an animal isn't my cup of tea either.  ;)  

Bob

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2015, 10:31:00 AM »
The facts as presented from the biologist may have been misquoted or misinterpreted. I will offer that without the science, performed by biologists and PAID for by hunters, these wouldn't be the good ole days for most hunting that they are.

The best biologists I know are avid hunters. I hired a bunch and NEVER hired one that wasn't a hunter.

Oh, I wouldn't shoot a sow with cubs, whether or not the law allowed it. My choice. I do however trust the science. But then, I'm profoundly biased.

Offline pinky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2015, 12:22:00 PM »

Taken from my mother's dining room window a week ago.  I'm pretty sure these two wouldn't make it through the winter without mamma bear. There are a lot of calories to put down before winter for all of these. I have flung a rubber blunt at bear hienie, but am not a bear hunter.
Martin Hatfeild TD (bearings)RC
Trails End     (Good Medicine) RC
Selway (Lil Shooter) LB
Aspen (Elite) LB

Public Land Hunter

Offline mangonboat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: August 23, 2015, 12:55:00 PM »
"I have flung a rubber blunt at bear hienie".

And I thought I was the only one who may - or may not- have done that with young bears that are overly familiar with human stuff.
mangonboat

I've adopted too many bows that needed a good home.

Offline Paul Cousineau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: August 23, 2015, 06:03:00 PM »

DDave
I like this response.
The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feast on the riches of the hunt. -Proverbs 12:27

Offline Wiley Coyote

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: August 23, 2015, 08:37:00 PM »
In Ontario it is illegal to shoot a sow with cubs so it doesn't matter how old they are they are not legal game. I hunted in Quebec a few years ago and apparently it is legal to shoot the cubs?????????
Great Northern Bushbow
Super Shrew Delux
Talon Longbow
Chekmate Hunter Recurve

Offline Brock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: August 23, 2015, 09:21:00 PM »
Once the sow and cubs have parted ways....and are no longer nursing or staying together they are legal.

Like I said..I would not shoot a sow that had cubs with her and tend to wait a while to make sure none come strolling in late behind a bear that I cannot tell whether is a sow or boar.

Follow the local laws...and in the end the choice is a personal one after the laws are followed.
Keep em sharp,

Ron Herman
Compton's Traditional Bowhunters
Backcountry Hunters & Anglers
PBS Assoc since 1988
NRA Life
USAF Retired (1984-2004)

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: August 24, 2015, 11:58:00 AM »
I don't think it is a good idea to take a sow if she had cubs. If the cubs were able to be on their own, the sow would already have left them.
Sam

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: August 24, 2015, 04:50:00 PM »
I don't shoot anything with tits or youngsters. At our shot distances and binos that is pretty easy to discern.

Offline Whitetail Addict

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: August 25, 2015, 11:27:00 AM »
I'm not surprised to see that there are so many others here that look at this the way I do. Like I said earlier, legality aside, I couldn't imagine cub bears having much of a future without the sow.

I can't imagine that our DEC is ignorant on the subject, and the only reason I can think of for it being legal, is maybe for population control. If that's the case, it would seem like there'd be better ways.  :dunno:  Thanks.

Bob

Offline Birdbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: August 25, 2015, 02:35:00 PM »
Bob,
  Here in NH, it's the same - all bears are legal in the fall. I've talked with our bear biologist and the rationale is that they are weaned and eating solid food on their own. Another factor is that because bears are so hard to judge ( size and especially gender), honest hunters wouldn't be criminalized by taking a bear perceived to be adult. Most bears taken here are by deer hunters with a tag in pocket and in thick cover, a quick decision.
  For me, and since cubs of the year will den again with the sow, I'll pass on them. Those cubs still are needful of the sow in some fashion. Maybe it's learning how best to choose a den to overwinter or where to find early spring food sources when emerging in their second spring.
 When they are solo and 1 1/2 year olds in their second autumn, is the earliest I would consider taking one.
  Solo bears are nearly impossible to determine sex so I don't worry about if they are boars or sows.
  Just my 2 cents.
Unadulterated truth is not pablum.

A simplification of means and an elevation of ends is the goal. Antoine de St.-Exupery

Offline Producer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: August 25, 2015, 07:34:00 PM »
I would not shoot any animals with babies. It seems to me that if you leave them alone you will insure your future hunting. If you were in the wilderness starving that would be another story.
What gives me wings? Flying with my arrows over and over again. And never giving up...For giving up means not believing...

Offline Ulysseys

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: August 25, 2015, 08:50:00 PM »
Hunted in Maine with a friend once...I got a boar on the first night he didn't see anything all week so he complained to the guide that he just wanted to "see" a bear.  The guide said he had a bait that sow and Cubs were hitting daily and he certainly see them but to NOT shoot the sow.  Well within an hour of sitting the sow and cubs come out and you guessed it, he shot the sow with a rifle.  The Cubs were tiny and never left the sow....he ended up chasing them off with a branch then trying to knock them out of a tree with rocks before the guide came in....even still they never left and I can't imagine they lived.  I wouldn't shoot a sow with Cubs, personally, legal or not.
Type inspirational or witty quote here

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©