3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Dan Tolke's 2 under draw technique.  (Read 1096 times)

Offline Hopewell Tom

• Trad Bowhunter
Dan Tolke's 2 under draw technique.
« on: August 23, 2015, 01:30:00 PM »
Has anyone tried it?
He says many like it for shorter bows. I'm going to send for his tab kit with instructions for 2 under, just looking for a few comments before I talk with Dan.
TOM

WHAT EACH OF US DOES IS OF ULTIMATE IMPORTANCE.
Wendell Berry

Offline Tradcat

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Dan Tolke's 2 under draw technique.
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2015, 02:52:00 PM »
I have tried it (I think), or a modified version. I'd draw with a deep hook(split) and then once I reached full draw, I'd drop the top finger to literally point parallel to the arrow resting my cheeck bone against the side of my forefinger. Releases were very smooth and shooting was very consistent. In other words, you start the draw cycle with all three fingers (split) and then after dropping the top finger, it becomes a two finger under version with about 70% of the pressure in the middle finger and 30% pressure in the ring finger. I'm also curious about the results that other shooters have had with this method.
                    Tradcat

Offline Jim Wright

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2015, 04:11:00 PM »
Dan taught it to me a few years ago. What I learned was to draw middle and ring finger under with DEEP hooks. My index finger rests lightly on top the shaft. The rest may vary with hand shape and size but I put firm pressure with the pad of my thumb on the back of the middle digit of my little finger and anchor the tip of my middle finger in the corner of my mouth, the knuckle of my thumb at the rear point of my jaw. Very clean, consistent release.

Offline wapiti

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2015, 04:30:00 PM »
Learned it a long time ago when I lived near the Toelke's. I actually lay my index finger on the string without pressuring it up. Didn't effect the tune of my bow but sure gave me a more consistent release.
“Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock.”-Will Rogers

Online Burnsie

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2015, 07:06:00 PM »
So you use your middle and ring finger under the arrow like you normally would with a typical split three finger draw,  but don't use the top index finger.  After reading about it on Dan's web site, I gave it a try, but I assumed you used your index and middle finger under the arrow like a three under draw, but with the lower ring finger removed.  So, what two fingers does Dan's method use?  
Anyone ever try one finger above and below the arrow?
"You can't get into a bar fight if you don't go to the bar" (Grandma was pretty wise)

Offline slowbowjoe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2015, 07:46:00 PM »
I shoot this way; stumbled on it years ago, came back to it more recently, and then came across this being recommended by Dan. My technique is sort of a blend of the previous three posts, but I don't point the top finger. I begin the draw with regular 3 finger split, and my index finger just settles to lightly rest on the arrow, relaxed. I do find it's helped with my consistency.

It's done with the regular 3 fingers split. It's not just a two finger under configuration. That doesn't work for me at all.

Offline TURKEYFOOTGIRL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2015, 08:54:00 PM »
Yes I've shot it for a couple years now since talking to Dan. I can't picture ever going back. I like the strength my two deep hooks have compared to 3 finger tips.
"Life's too short for ugly bows n arrows" Chris B

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2015, 09:03:00 PM »
Originally posted by Hopewell Tom:
Has anyone tried it?
He says many like it for shorter bows. I'm going to send for his tab kit with instructions for 2 under, just looking for a few comments before I talk with Dan.
check this guy out...  

Offline dnurk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2015, 09:12:00 PM »
Contemplated shooting this way before but have not done it yet.   tagging for future interest

Offline StickBowManMI

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2015, 09:34:00 PM »
My wife has been shooting this way for 15 years. She does great with it!

Offline JJY

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2015, 10:02:00 PM »
I shoot two under also, I originally shot true split finger but noticed that my top finger kept being less engaged so just dropped it all together. Seems like my consistency increased when I did. It also forces me to use a deeper hook which I think helps.

Offline tim roberts

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2015, 10:03:00 PM »
Been using this for a couple of years now, better smoother release, and it added a bit of length to my short draw!
Thanks,
Tim

TGMM Family of the Bow

I guess if we run into the bear that is making these tracks, we oughta just get off the trail.......He seems to like it!  
My good friend Rudy Bonser, while hunting elk up Indian Creek.

Online Burnsie

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2015, 10:09:00 PM »
Originally posted by Kirkll:

Originally posted by Hopewell Tom:
Has anyone tried it?
check this guy out...    [/b]
Appears to be using his index and middle finger.  Looks like there are different versions of the two-under technique
"You can't get into a bar fight if you don't go to the bar" (Grandma was pretty wise)

Offline bisket

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2015, 11:25:00 PM »
I stumbled on to this technique also....
I started doing this on a shorter bow that was tight on my top finger when I was shooting and became uncomfortable to shoot.  When my finger was sore I started shooting with it slipped off to side of string ...I guess just touching it.  I liked it so much that I do it with my longer bows now.  I find it to be very consistent.
Michigan Longbow Association
Michigan Traditional Bowhunters

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.
-Henry David Thoreau

Offline Elkchaser

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2015, 11:50:00 PM »
I've been using Dan's technique for probably 5 or 6 years nows, for all my bows, regardless of length. Dan taught me while I was picking up a new bow I had bought. Deep hook with middle and ring fingers and index finger resting on the arrow shaft. For me, it makes for a very consistent release. It seems so natural now, I can't ever imagine any other technique.
   :archer2:
No matter where you go; There you are.......

Toelke Lynx RC 58", 51@28”

Offline Hopewell Tom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2015, 05:48:00 AM »
Pretty positive throughout.
Thanks for the comments, I'm getting me a new tab!
TOM

WHAT EACH OF US DOES IS OF ULTIMATE IMPORTANCE.
Wendell Berry

Offline dnurk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2015, 08:05:00 AM »
Helpful information.  Going to order one to try as well.

Thanks folks.

Offline Swinestalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2015, 02:14:00 PM »
Originally posted by Jim Wright:
Dan taught it to me a few years ago. What I learned was to draw middle and ring finger under with DEEP hooks. My index finger rests lightly on top the shaft. The rest may vary with hand shape and size but I put firm pressure with the pad of my thumb on the back of the middle digit of my little finger and anchor the tip of my middle finger in the corner of my mouth, the knuckle of my thumb at the rear point of my jaw. Very clean, consistent release.
Dan taught me this as well. What I do exactly.
Having done so much, with so little, for so long, I can now do anything with nothing.

Online topGUN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2015, 03:07:00 PM »
I am interested in trying this method. Is there anyway someone could post a picture of how this looks. I am sure there are others that would like to see it as well.

Thanks, Jeff
52" Kodiak Magnum
54" Don Dow Stik
62" Mohawk
56" Kanati
58" JT Traditions Apollo 2

Offline dougbutt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2015, 04:49:00 PM »
I shot three under and strained a ligament in my ring finger at work about two years ago.  I couldn't shoot three under any more so i switched to two under, pointer and middle, temporarily till my finger got better. My finger feels fine but i never switch back

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©