3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Dan Tolke's 2 under draw technique.  (Read 1097 times)

Offline JJY

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Dan Tolke's 2 under draw technique.
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2015, 06:00:00 PM »
Not sure if this a true toelke technique but its what my three under has evolved into.

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2015, 08:05:00 PM »
That's exactly how I did it, worked wonderful for me, I went back to 3u though but still shoot that way on occasion
JD Berry Taipan (original) 53@28 62”
Cascade mountain Brush Hawk 53@28 56”

Online Tim Finley

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2015, 08:14:00 PM »
I shot 2 under for 7 years then developed arthritis in my middle finger from pulling on the string with mainly  that finger, so went back to 3 under.

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2015, 09:58:00 PM »
I've been playing with something very similar recently but didn't know it was already a thing.  Sacrificed a tab tonight and I really like it on my 58" chinook.  Haven't been shooting it much as it's pretty tight shooting split at my draw length, but the two under was very nice.  Might bring the old girl back into the rotation!

Offline Kyle Lancaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2015, 04:31:00 PM »
I've been trying this as well after I ordered a bow from Dan. I bought both his 2 under and 3 under tabs. Give Dan a call and he'll talk you through it. VERY nice and knowledgeable man. I asked him if Jared would film him but haven't gotten anything yet. The instructions with tab are very good.

Offline Kyle Lancaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2015, 04:33:00 PM »
Tim Finley above makes some really fine Kota Bows!

Online Burnsie

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2015, 12:27:00 PM »
I gave it a shot when I got home from work last night. It's something new and felt different at first,  but I have to say I really liked it.  Was hitting my mark pretty darn good and it began to feel real natural.  I'm going to keep tinkering with it.
"You can't get into a bar fight if you don't go to the bar" (Grandma was pretty wise)

Offline Rock 'N Bow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2015, 04:01:00 PM »
I was taught a similar technique by Mike Fedora. I'm pretty sure Dan Toelke learned a bit of bow building from Mike Fedora, so it seems he may have adapted his shooting technique as well. My accuracy has improved immensely after using the 2 under technique.
Todd Henck Longbow 68" 58#@28"
Dave Johnson Longbow 66" 60#@27"
Northern Mist Ramer 64" 50#@27"
Northern Mist Classic 68" 52#@28"
Shrew Hill #1 "Alpha" 67" 48#@28"

Offline Birdbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2015, 04:55:00 PM »
Up front, I haven't tried the technique but after nearly 30 years of teaching LE firearms I would suspect that in the heat of the moment it wouldn't be any different than delivering a firearms shot - separating the action of 1 finger from the rest of the hand is very difficult. Those who consistently hunt successfully with the method, I tip my hat to them.
Unadulterated truth is not pablum.

A simplification of means and an elevation of ends is the goal. Antoine de St.-Exupery

Offline dnurk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2015, 07:32:00 PM »
Got my tab from Dan today (amazing service as always) and just shot it a bit.  Didn't mess with nocking point changes or anything and I perceived the bow shooting a bit more loudly than my normal split finger tab.   Anyone else have this experience?  Is it like shooting 3 under where moving the nock point up a bit can help compensate for that?  

Feels strange of course after only shooting a couple dozen arrows but I'm definitely going to give it a fair chance. I can see where if the muscle memory becomes ingrained that it would be a very solid holding technique.

Offline tomsm44

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: August 26, 2015, 08:46:00 PM »
I read this thread a couple days ago and was kinda curious, so I decided to give it a try today.  I was hesitant to try something new this close to deer season, but what the heck.  I'm wondering now why this style isn't more popular.  I'm shooting a 64" bow so finger pinch wasn't really an issue, but it still seemed to feel more comfortable.  It even made aiming feel more natural.  Sounds strange since it's just one finger that's changed, but when I volunteered with 4h shooting sports several years back, one of the experienced shotgun instructors taught new shooters to point their off hand pointer finger straight down the underside of the forend toward the end of the barrel and the clay bird.  He said that even though you can't see your finger, we're so used to pointing our fingers at things that just the feel of it pointing will make you more accurate.  I saw quite a few kids improve quickly with that technique.  I think I'll stick with it for a week or so and see how it works out.  I shoot with a glove and I also like the idea of keeping my pointer finger out of the glove.  Makes it easier to do fine detailed, important tasks.......like nose picking.

Thanks for sharing,
Matt
Matt Toms

Flatwoods Custom R/D:  64", 47@28
'66 Kodiak: 60", 55@28
Redwing Hunter:  58", 53@28
Ben Pearson 709 Hunter:  58", 47@28
Ben Pearson 709 Hunter:  58", 42@28
Hoots Recurve:  56", 42@28

Offline Jim Wright

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: August 26, 2015, 09:50:00 PM »
Dave, be sure and employ deep hooks. Every once in a while I blow the release and let my fingers unfurl a bit initially. It always seems loud.

Offline dnurk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: August 26, 2015, 09:56:00 PM »
Thanks Jim.  Will definitely pay attention to that. The notes Dan includes with the tab kit shows he recommends a really deep hook and that may be it. I'm used to split shooting in the big crease between first and second pads.  Looks like he recommends right into the meat of the second pad.

Offline South MS Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: August 29, 2015, 01:43:00 PM »
I tried Dan's method as described on this thread the best I could, sure wished someone who knows for sure would do a short video.

I found that my Centaur Chimera shot quieter and my accuracy was better.

I had to change up my anchor point to keep my arrow close to my eye since I normally shoot 3 under with the index finger in the corner of my mouth and thumb knuckle on back of jaw/ear.

With Dan's method I placed the index finger just under my cheek bone and thumb knuckle on back of jaw/ear.

It seamed to give me a better sight picture and I was in the 10's more frequent than before.

Of course this is all anecdotal at this point, but I was encouraged by the results.
Everything I have and have become is due to the Lord and his great mercy.

Offline old bucky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: August 30, 2015, 11:03:00 AM »
After reading this thread,I'am also trying to shoot this way with the split finger tab that I have, I think I'am going to like it so I ordered the Toelke 2 under Tab.

Sam

Offline South MS Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: August 30, 2015, 02:12:00 PM »
One more thing that resulted was a 1/2" gain in draw length due to the change in anchor point.

Still trying to make this automatic, but since it still is new my first reaction is to draw to my usual anchor.  This will change with more time at it I'm sure.
Everything I have and have become is due to the Lord and his great mercy.

Offline yth-mnstr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: August 30, 2015, 11:53:00 PM »
Tried it tonight and bow was quieter for sure.
justin ammons

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: August 30, 2015, 11:58:00 PM »
I used to shoot almost exclusively two under...it just makes sense to have the least contact with the string possible...these days I am shooting 3 finger and 2 finger split

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline md126

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: August 31, 2015, 09:31:00 AM »
It's the same concept as using a mechanical release with a compound, except with our fingers obviously.

The less pressure and influence on the string the better.

Offline ChetterB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: September 01, 2015, 12:01:00 AM »
Thank you very much for this post!!! After reading I gave it a try -- fantastic thanks for adding to my shooting pleasure, Jerry.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©