3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: High Plains Goat  (Read 706 times)

Offline Jack Skinner

• Trad Bowhunter
High Plains Goat
« on: August 24, 2015, 10:33:00 AM »
I drew a doe tag this year for antelope. A few folks have asked about antelope hunting so I thought I would take you on a doe hunt in the high plains of WY. We drew in an area along the continental divide its an area my hunting partners and I have drawn before. There is a large hunter managment area here boardered by walk in areas. Walk in areas are private land that G&F pay an access fee to so that the landowner will allow public hunting.

Any good hunt starts with practice

This guy was hanging out just past my practice area. Guess he wasnt SCARED

No matter how well you know an area it can always throw you a curve. One year there may be too much moisture in the form of rain and hunting water holes is a waste of time, the next season you may be hard pressed to find water. This year it was cattle the area was covered with cattle, every water hole had its own herd. The natural spring we like to hunt was particularly a favorite hang out and was covered in cattle and their very large presents they leave behind. None of us wanted to sit and smell that and deal with the livestock. We moved on and found a couple of solar wells with smaller herds hanging out and picked our wells.
Sonny and his brother Todd (dark side archer) set up their blinds and left them overnight. In the morning Todds blind had been stomped on and torn but they were able to use it. Lesson if cattle in pasture dont leave blind up. Todd was still able to shoot the largest goat we have taken from this area to date and a 20yd shot at that. We may just make a trad hunter out of him yet.
My set up was a solar well I like to call the banishment well because it is the fartherest out. I had two small herds of about 15 yearlings hanging around so I didnt leave my blind up but placed it each morning. I did also have some wild hoarses hanging around but they moved on the first morning.

Here are a couple of other residents of the area

Now remember I have a doe tag. I was in my blind less than 20 minutes and really not even set up and comfy when this guy comes in and waters at 18yds

His vitals were covered so I fixed that after he left.
Cattle there are some things I have heard but here is what I know. Dont try and run them off or you will get this

Every antelope in a mile will know that something is going on around the water hole (this photo from last year). So leave them alone only tap the blind to keep them off it. Two bucks were trying to water and doing the come in and run back and come in and run back. Then they look up blew and moved away, sure enough here came the cows. But if the cattle had watered and were just laying around and resting the antelope would come in. More soon

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: High Plains Goat
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2015, 10:37:00 AM »
:coffee:
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2015, 10:48:00 AM »
I feel your pain on the moo cows. I just found out that a bunch were put in to the area of the Bighorn forest that I will be elk hunting shortly. Noisy, crapping everywhere, disturbing the wildlife. And they do love to destroy blinds, for some unknown reason. Other than that, they are great.
Hope a doe stands broadside to you in bow range.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2015, 11:32:00 AM »
I like it. Keep the story going buddy.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline Jack Skinner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2015, 11:50:00 AM »
Yep Centaur the cattle did a number on Todd's blind and it is one of the older and in my opinion better double bulls. Hard to replace.

So on day one at least 7 different bucks came in to my water hole, not all watered and only one lone doe with fawn. She was a nervous Nelley and wouldnt water. Heres are a buck that played peek-a-boo around the gease wood.

Day two was much of the same. From 0730 till 1130 I had 14 bucks come and go from my well. Only one doe the same doe with fawn and she still wouldnt drink. At the time she was at the well I had 10 thats right 10 different bucks at the water hole not all drank but most did.

Quarting towards me not a good shot. But some would step right in and water broadside.
Look at this guy think he is ready to explode

Learned something new. I didnt think when it was actively raining that antelope would drink. I was wrong, it was about 1030 when a thunder cloud came over and it was raining hard enough that water was running off the blind. In comes this guy

Yep that a nice goat. Not really heavey but tall. He faked in and out and even went and layed down at about 60yds for 10 minutes. Then he got up shook off like a dog and came in and watered.

Him leaving not too good a photo but it was raining. I had to head home after lunch, so my first weekend was almost all bucks. We may have to rename this water hole the "buck hole".
2nd weekend to come

Offline Jack Skinner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2015, 01:00:00 PM »
Sonny had stayed during the week and after seeing the picture of the nice buck at my well he set up there. His son Ty came up and they were hunting together. They found that the goats were watering facing them so they were digging out a location to move the blind for a better shot. As they were sweating away the rancher leasing and running his cattle on the public land came by. In talking with him he said he was going to turn loose more livestock into this pasture and why didnt they just go hunt his land because all his cattle were on the public land. His property was part of the attached walk in area and he gave us permission to drive in and set up which was cool. Ty took a buck from one of his wells and Sonny missed a nice buck.
On Friday Sonny gives me the rundown and tells me how to get to the private well.
Out of work early drive over I leave the trailer at home this time as I wanted to try out new tent and stove I was going to be using for elk. I set up on the well and was able to leave blind up no cattle, sweet. headed back to the public land to camp. Camping on the high plains

Tent worked geat but the wind was up to much to try new stove. Something else I learned about antelope they would rather drink from the overflow pond and or the seep to the overflow pond. Some reason they just dont like stock tanks. I set up with my blind about 20 yards to the overflow pond and about 25 to the stock tank. I cheated towards the pond and would only shoot the pond 25 was streaching it to the tank.
Saturday morning was pretty busy with wildlife just not goats.

Three coyotes came in together and hung out for awile could only get a picture of two at time. After they left a lone dog came in and he was in poor shape. Thin looked like a cross between a fox and coyote he was ugly. Then I found out I had this neighbor only ten yards from my blind but we got along well.

I think from his look I was beginning to smell.
Finally around 11 three does and two fawns came in. The fawns got in the way of the two does so no shot. Then the lone doe hung around and finally stepped in and watered. Zing right over her back, I just couldnt believe it. After she left 3 bucks with a doe came in but none would water.

When I got out and took a break at lunch I shot all the way back to the blind just pick a spot stop shooting at the whole critter. Thats what is going thru my mind. Really slow afternoon a few bucks come around only one waters. Then its getting hot so I decide to open back of blind to let some air in, Yikes right behind the stock tank are three does. At first I thought they would water in the tank and be gone. But they kind of moved up and down the fence and then went under and came around to the pond. The first doe got there so fast I didnt have my bow in my hand. She came close to water and then the second doe came up and spooked and both backed off into the grease wood and just watched the blind. Then out of nowhere a buck steps out of the grease wood at 50yds, and wanted a drink. This gave the does new courage and a doe and the buck stepped in the pond at 18yds and drank. When she was done the buck moved away and she just stood and looked at her friend like come in and drink, well nows my chance. Pick a spot is running in my head. I will tell you the shot was still high but she spun around and dropped right where she was standing. I thought either I had broken the shoulder or hit the spine. She could'nt move so I felt it was a spine hit and not waiting to see if I got the top of the lungs or not I jump out and placed a second arrow in her chest. I am still shooting high but got it done.

Mulberry selfbow with home made arrow and broadhead. This is my 3rd antleope with primitive gear. Now I just have to get a handle on shooting high before my elk hunt in two weeks. Like I started with all hunts start with practice and I will be shooting my set up daily until then.

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2015, 01:05:00 PM »
Congrats on your goat. Now, get after those elk!
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2015, 01:43:00 PM »
Excellent story, Jack...and thanks for posting to the SBevel thread the lope shoulder shot damage.

I'd say you earned your meat on that one!

Brings back fond memories of some time living in MT and chasing speed goats!   :thumbsup:
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline Bernie B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2015, 02:01:00 PM »
Great story and pictures!  Congrats and good luck with the elk!     :thumbsup:

Bernie

Offline killinstuff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2015, 02:19:00 PM »
Very cool.  I was all over WY and western SD last week, jealous of the guys getting to hunt and I had to work.  Glad I'm at least getting to read a story or two from the lucky guys who had tags.  Very cool.
lll

Offline britt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2015, 04:21:00 PM »
Thanks for sharing Jack.
"My gratitude speaks when I care and when I share the trad. way"

Offline Caughtandhobble

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2015, 06:44:00 PM »
Congrats!!! Thanks for taking the time to take us along for the hunt.   :archer:

Offline kadbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2015, 06:46:00 PM »
:thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
Colorado Bowhunters Association
Grand Mesa Bowmen
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Cmane07

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2015, 07:03:00 PM »
Great story man and congrats on the goat!
Caleb Hinton

58" PA-X cocobolo 50lbs @28"
"Luck favors preparation"

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2015, 07:18:00 PM »
:thumbsup:
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Online Tim Finley

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2015, 08:30:00 PM »
Great story ! I could never get antelope to come close to a pop up blind .

Online Carcajou

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2015, 08:31:00 PM »
:clapper:  Jack, congrats! Selfbow Speed Goats 101 ! I know how hard they can be to kill with a stickbow, and thats a great trophy to say the least!

love the "High Plains Camp" and the Elixer in the bottle on the table...Cheers to the fallen Doe!
" MEMBER ~ COMPTON Traditional Bowhunters "

"Searching through the remnants of my dream-shattered sleep"

Offline Kopper1013

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2015, 08:40:00 PM »
Congrats, very nice!!!
Primitive archery gives yourself the maximum challenge while giving the animal the maximum chance to escape- G. Fred Asbell

Offline kennyb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2015, 09:12:00 PM »
Great story and pics Jack! Congrats on your antelope doe! Way to go!

Kenny
>>>-------------->
Black Widow-PSA III 60"
Tall Tines Recurve 62"
U.S Army Veteran
U.S. Army Military Police K-9 Corps

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2015, 09:23:00 PM »
Great job!!