3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: A "killer" ground blind setup?  (Read 542 times)

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
A "killer" ground blind setup?
« on: August 24, 2015, 12:09:00 PM »
Last year I helplessly watched from a stand as 2  different P&Y class bucks walked through here during the early season. The crops are rotated now so I can't say for sure if they will use this area this year but if they do, I'm hoping this will do the trick.

Offline Jake Scott

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: A "killer" ground blind setup?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2015, 12:35:00 PM »
That's fantastic!  Great work.

Jake
FORM FORM FORM FORM

TGMM family of the bow
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
PBS Associate Member

Offline Jayrod

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2015, 12:50:00 PM »
Yeah man that will do the trick!!BEST OF LUCK!
NRA Life member

Compton traditional bowhunter member

Offline Stump73

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2015, 01:21:00 PM »
Looks awesome. Hope you get a big o boy.
BigJim Thunderchild 54" 52# @ 28"
BigJim Thunderchild 56" 42# @ 28"

Offline Cavscout9753

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2015, 01:31:00 PM »
Id live in there!
ΙΧΘΥΣ

Offline olddogrib

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2015, 01:37:00 PM »
Great job, good luck.  My perfect ground blind would be positioning my hunting stool just right so that when the P&Y'er walks by and I "stroked out" and hit the ground I'd automatically butt dial 911 with my exact location for the paramedics to bring the defibrillator before the coyotes started gnawing on my tough old arse, lol!
"Wakan Tanka
 Wakan Tanka
 Pilamaya
 Wichoni heh"

Offline Stickbow98

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2015, 02:17:00 PM »
So, what am I looking at here?    :confused:  
Just kidding... Great camo job Jon, my only suggestion would be that you still haven't altered the blind "profile". You need to extend some irregular branches from the top to take away the blob shape and make it look more "wild" and naturally occurring.
Good idea getting it done now though, plenty of time for them to get used to it.
Good luck!    :thumbsup:
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2015, 02:26:00 PM »
Good call on the extending some branches upwards. Probably a good idea. I may do that but I'll wait till it's either raining or about to rain. I want to keep disturbance to a minimum now this close to season.

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2015, 03:59:00 PM »
That looks awesome Jon,

My concern would be a collapse if you get a lot of rain, heavy wind  or an early snow.  Did you do anything to add roof support?

I did the same thing to a double bull blind with eastern red cedar right before the turkey opener a couple years back and when my daughter and I got to the blind opening morning it was caved in from wind and rain.  We were able to pop it back up in the dark with birds roosted nearby and she actually shot a bird from the blind that morning, but turkeys are well.....turkeys.  Not sure the local deer population would have tolerated the disturbance it took to get it back to "hunting shape" as openly.
"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2015, 04:27:00 PM »
Yea. Trap I cut a piece of number 4 rebar just longer that the highest point in the blind right at the top hub. Jammed it in the ground right under the hub to keep it up. The blind has heavy 12 inch tent stakes on the inside. 8 of them. Then the four outside tie offs are attached to rebar driven into the ground. Hoping for the best. Always the chance of wind snapping a rod too. Really need a heavier duty blind for this but hopefully it works.

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2015, 05:47:00 PM »
That should work just fine! Good luck to you Jon!

You can homemake a really great ground blind from a cattle panel, some grass carpet from the big lumberyard, and 6 or 7 sticks of 1/2"pvc. These blinds are for more permanent applications, but they are cheap, stay in place, and last a very long time.

Bisch

Offline RETARMY06

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2015, 07:04:00 PM »
My only concern is this - will those needles/branches start to turn brown and dry out before it's time to hunt? I use ground blinds made from natural materials too. I am not allowed to cut anything green - dead branches only. But there's one advantage to that - dead never changes color or shape year round. But the shape and density are great, no doubt about it.

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2015, 11:19:00 PM »
The pine needles will turn brown but they won't fall off. By the time season starts a lot of our grass and foliage will be brown. If you use other species of tree the leaves will fall off and you will be left with a bunch of sticks. But if you cut and use either pine species or oak species the foliage will turn brown but will remain for the whole season. I use pine tree boughs all the time to add foliage to treestands and it really works well.

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2015, 12:10:00 AM »
I'd say you are in great shape with that setup. Looks awesome.  Good job my friend.
"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Offline kevsuperg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2015, 07:02:00 AM »
Nice job. Ground hunting is where its  at!!
USAF Medic 1982-1992
Life member BHA.
RMEF, PBS, Compton, idaho trad bow hunters

Offline mark Willoughby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2015, 07:09:00 AM »
Looks great
Never spend your money before you have earned it ,.... Thomas Jefferson

If you want something you've never had , you must be willing to do something you've never done ,... Thomas Jefferson

Offline DennyK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2015, 06:49:00 PM »
Jon That's awsome! Good Luck!  :clapper:
Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope.

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2015, 08:26:00 PM »
Nice, good luck!
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©