3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: My TICK experience!!!!!!!!  (Read 881 times)

Offline Producer

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: My TICK experience!!!!!!!!
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2015, 07:13:00 PM »
I grew up in CT and we were outdoors in the field and woods constantly and I only got one tick on me in all that time. I moved away and came back for some bird hunting and me and my dog were covered in ticks in the same spots as I played as a kid. I wonder what has changed over the years because I hear the same story a lot. I just read a story about up in Canada moose are being killed by tick infestations. I believe that 40 years ago they were unheard of up there. They said in the story that one moose had over 100,000 ticks on it.
What gives me wings? Flying with my arrows over and over again. And never giving up...For giving up means not believing...

Offline LongbowArchitect

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2015, 07:16:00 PM »
Blood test results are back from my Doctor and confirm that I do not have RMSF or Lyme Disease (both bacterial infections) but rather Colorado Tick Fever (viral infection) carried by the Rocky Mtn Wood Tick. Apparently RMSF and Lyme Disease are carried predominately by the Deer Tick found elsewhere in the U.S. The viral infection Colorado Tick Fever has to just take it's course and get killed by one's immune system as antibiotics will do nothing for it. Doctor says to cease the antibiotics he prescribed for me as a precaution. Length of time to kill the virus depends on one's immune system. I'm feeling great now. The good news is that once a person contracts Colorado Tick Fever his body will build up anti-bodies to it and never get it again.

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2015, 08:20:00 PM »
Good luck with your recovery.  We have a lot of deer ticks and Lyme disease here. It is a constant watch cycle.  The black tick has taken a heavy toll on our moose population.
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline R. Combs

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2015, 08:51:00 PM »
I am just finishing up a months worth of antibiotics for Lyme disease. I am going to continue hunting and am looking at different options for tick sprays for my cloths. I was looking at sawyers tick spray with permethrin, it says that it will kill ticks for up to 6 weeks or 6 washes, but then if you read the back of the bottle it seems pretty hazardous. Not supposed to make contact with your skin. Does anyone have any experience with this product?
Thanks Rick

Offline Dick Langer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2015, 09:01:00 PM »
Just finished my doxycycline for Lyme didn't know I was bite wife spotted bite on my back blood test came back positive

Offline Producer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2015, 09:16:00 PM »
Google "Plum Island" if you are interested in Lyme disease.
What gives me wings? Flying with my arrows over and over again. And never giving up...For giving up means not believing...

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2015, 09:49:00 PM »
Permethrin for cattle ? Please explain.

Spray permethrin on your clothing !, but use Badgers on your skin, great stuff !
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Offline achigan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2015, 10:35:00 AM »
Originally posted by njloco:
Permethrin for cattle ? Please explain.

Spray permethrin on your clothing !, but use Badgers on your skin, great stuff !
Two different kinds of 10% solution. Petro based and water  based. The petro based won't wash away in the rain as easily, it's used for cattle and vegitation. Water based is what hunters want since it carries no odor.
Gordons is petro, Walkers,I THINK IS THE WATER BASED.
...because bow hunting always involves the same essentials. One hunter. One arrow. One animal. -Don Thomas

Offline PastorSteveHill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2015, 09:39:00 AM »
Permathin.....
Blessings,
Steve

Offline kevsuperg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2015, 09:47:00 AM »
Permathin,Permethrin, tomato, tamato
USAF Medic 1982-1992
Life member BHA.
RMEF, PBS, Compton, idaho trad bow hunters

Offline Danny Rowan

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: August 27, 2015, 03:24:00 PM »
Never seen ticks like that, but in the late 70s I lived in Pensacola, Fla and went on vacation and took my dog with me. Was gone about a month, when I got home and walked through the front yard, I was covered in fleas, house was infested too. Got a hotel that night and next day sprayed yard and house to kill all them little buggers. Funny thing is I never found a flea on that dog.
"When shooting instinctivly,it matters not which eye is dominant"

Jay Kidwell and Glenn St. Charles

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member
Retired CPO US Navy 1972-1993
Retired USCBP Supervisory Officer 1999-2017

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: August 27, 2015, 10:19:00 PM »
just make sure to spray your clothes with that stuff..and not yourself.  It's deadly to ticks, but can really put a hurt on you too. Let those clothes dry well before you wear them.
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline R. Combs

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: August 28, 2015, 02:18:00 PM »
Thanks Ray, I guess my concern was wearing clothes treated with it in the rain. what happens when it gets wet again and drips on your skin?
Rick

Offline maxwell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: August 29, 2015, 11:52:00 AM »
Hey Rick,  I've worn them in the rain and I'm still normal??? 65 and counting.

Offline R. Combs

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: August 29, 2015, 01:43:00 PM »
Thanks Bill, I'm trying to decide on the lesser of two evils between using deet or spray my clothes with permethrin. Either way I don't want to get bit again, I seem to be magnet for the darn things!

Offline Michael Pfander

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: August 30, 2015, 09:24:00 AM »
For what its worth... My daughter has been doing black bear research in SE OK for 2 years now.  We got her started with Sawyers from the git go.  She is the only one to do this in that area with no tick and chigger problems.  When we visit we prep 2 sets of clothes with Sawyers for spending time with her in the woods.
MAP
Map
PBS
BHA
P&Y

Offline R. Combs

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: August 30, 2015, 01:14:00 PM »
Thanks Michael , that's what I have been leaning towards. I take it that there is no problems with wearing clothes treated with sawyers in the rain then
Thanks, Rick

Offline achigan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: August 30, 2015, 01:41:00 PM »
I know all the commercial clothing that comes treated with permethrin carry no warnings regarding wearing when wet/in the rain. I just treated my squirrel clothing and it worked great. Skeeters hovered but never landed. No ticks or chiggers at all.
...because bow hunting always involves the same essentials. One hunter. One arrow. One animal. -Don Thomas

Offline Bowjunkie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: August 30, 2015, 01:57:00 PM »
If the permethrin gets rehydrated and absorbed into the skin it can make you sick. A guy told me once that he rehydrated his with sweat and got sick. It IS poison.

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: August 30, 2015, 05:13:00 PM »
BJ,

If that were true, wouldn't in this litigious society, there need to be a warning after treating and washing the garments, cause it's wet when you take it out of the washer and handle it?!!!

YET, the directions on Sawyer claim that it last thru 2 washings...

If it dries into the fibers to withstand washing, I'm not sure I'm ready to bite that it re-hydrates from rain or sweat, regardless of one person say so and getting "sick" while or after wearing it and sweating.
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©