3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: My TICK experience!!!!!!!!  (Read 883 times)

Offline stickandstring

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: My TICK experience!!!!!!!!
« Reply #40 on: August 30, 2015, 06:23:00 PM »
This year, whilst turkey hunting I watched a tick climb up my trouser leg. I had sprayed my cloths with permethrin. The tick was Ok for about 5-7 seconds then it got giddy and fell off dead. I could not believe my eyes. Permethrin truly does kill ticks.
Let it fly ->>------>

Offline R. Combs

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: August 31, 2015, 05:09:00 PM »
Just talked to customer service at sawyers about permethrin. I was told that the permethrin bonds to your clothes like ink would,and that it will not harm you if it does get on your skin if wet. She told me the reason they don't recommend using on your skin is because it wouldn't be effective after 15-20 minutes because it won't bond to your skin like it does fabric.

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #42 on: August 31, 2015, 06:41:00 PM »
having had, fought with, and kept lyme disease in remission for about ten years, a few words about ticks and lymes disease from my perspective ...

all ticks are capable of carrying the spirochete borrelia burgdorferi (lyme).  it's not just ticks, as mosquitoes and other blood sucking insects can be carriers.  

ticks are active all year 'round no matter what the weather or air temps.  i've pulled them off our dogs in zero degree winter with nearly 2 feet of snow in the woods.

there are NO blood tests of any kind or type that are 100% accurate for the detection of lyme disease in humans.  false negatives are all too common.  seeing a skin "bullseye" rash is also not an valid indication of lyme.  

however, early detection is important so the bugs in you don't escalate to chronic proportions and then you'll have a devil of a fight on yer hands.  lyme symptoms can take from days to months to show up in humans, unlike dogs who show it almost immediately (the "robot" walk they exhibit) and their cure is just as fast with 10 days of doxycycline.        

there are also a number of co-infections that can happen with lyme such as bartonella and ehrlichia, to name a few.  

in my case, i removed a tick off my hip and never saw a bullseye rash.  2 months later i had elbow pain and stiffness that was diagnosed as tennis elbow.  a steroid shot and 3 months of liver and stomach killing anti-inflammatory drugs did nothing.  through the intervention of a family friend i visited a naturopath who quickly made the lyme diagnosis.  within 3 weeks of taking a regiment's worth of homoeopathic concoctions all my lyme symptoms were nearly gone.  within another 3 months i was in remission, as i am today.  i get 2 checkups a year, just to make sure they bugs are at bay as lymes is systemic and once you got 'em they're with you for life.

yes, early detection is the key so that either antibiotics or hearbal remedies can beat the bugs down pronto.  since there is no way to be sure you have the lyme bug, decisions have to be made.  personally, i'd use antibiotics as a last resort and go the homoeopathic, but doing something is better than nothing.

i can never ever remember folks having lyme-like issues until it was diagnosed in the mid 70's, in lyme, ct.  it's my guess, but i do believe that lyme was man-made ... search out 'plum island lyme'.
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: September 13, 2015, 11:09:00 AM »
And now there's a new bug ticks give you- that will cause you to have an allergy to red meat.  My friend Crispin Henry has contracted that...and its absolutely no fun whatsoever....
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©