3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: some peoples nerve...  (Read 1912 times)

Offline aim small...release

• Trad Bowhunter
some peoples nerve...
« on: August 25, 2015, 06:10:00 PM »
I work at a archery shop I'm the only trad guy but I've learned alot and enjoy working on bows and cross bows. We sell a very good selection of both. Today I worked with a guy for a good hour looking at cross bows and when he asked what I shot I told him a martin savanah stealth long bow 45lbs. He couldn't believe I'd even consider going in the woods with a bow that low. He actually called it unethical and tried to make me feel guilty. I couldn't believe it. I just smiled and sold him his cross bow before he left hr chuckled while saying save up for a good a big boy bow. I smiled again and watched him walk out but inside I felt kind of bad has anyone ever experienced this. Usually people are fascinated by trad
Take a deep breath and pick a spot

Online Sean B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: some peoples nerve...
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2015, 06:24:00 PM »
You can't  fix ignorance!!
Sean
PBS Regular Member
Comptons
NY Bowhunters Association
BW KB X
BW PCH X
BW PSR X
Robertson Tribal Styk

Offline Caleb Monroe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2015, 06:25:00 PM »
I'm not sure what he meant he didn't even buy a big boy bow?   :goldtooth:   There are people like that every where. The one that really gets me is the rifle hunters who buy x-bows so they can bow hunt the rut. You acted appropriately although it's tough to do.
Sweka St. Jude Hill Style 70" 50@31"
Wild Horse Creek Condor 64" 55@31"

Offline longbow fanatic 1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2015, 06:25:00 PM »
Some people are so ignorant and rude. Clearly he is uninformed about the lethality of trad gear. You have more self control than I do. You were very professional!

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2015, 06:29:00 PM »
It's been my observation that it's usually the other way around with the shop employee or owner denigrating the choice of the trad guy.

Not saying so to in any way cast any aspersions on you personally, it's just been my experience.  I live in the Denver area and if it weren't for RMSG, I would never walk into an archery shop.
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Offline straight_arrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2015, 06:32:00 PM »
That mentality leaves a lot to be desired.  Be proud to be a traditional archer, you're among a unique group of folks!
"They're all trophies"

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2015, 06:33:00 PM »
Have you ever hunted any of the state game areas in the southern lower?

The last few years I have had to seek out new areas to hunt and my boys and I tried to hunt a few of these.

There are defined parking areas and you are in close quarters to other hunters when hunting these. In the last four years we have encountered only ONE "bowhunter" using a compound bow...the rest have ALL been crossbows.

SEVERAL times we had other guys tell us that we look "ridiculous" with our recurves, or that deer will only duck our arrows.

The WORST part is when they cock a crossbow, load an arrow on the thing and proceed to point the loaded "bow" at everyone and everything as they carry it...as if it is harmless.

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2015, 06:49:00 PM »
A friend of one guy that I got into trad archery kept saying things like no power, never kill a deer, not a real bow.  I got tired of hearing his bs and went and got a tennis ball, tossed it on the roof of my garage and shot it as fell in front of the target.  He said, 'see, no power, my bow would have shot clean through the tennis ball.'

Offline meatCKR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2015, 06:54:00 PM »
You did good. But next time just point him to the YouTube video of "Untamed" by Clay Hayes.  Then ask him what he thinks of Trad Bow Hunting.

Steve
"Leave it as it is. You can not improve on it. The ages have been
at work on it, and man can only mar it."
- Theodore Roosevelt upon seeing the Grand Canyon.

Offline Producer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2015, 06:55:00 PM »
I watched a You-Tube video of one of these so-called experts who confessed that he was going over to Traditional. I made the mistake of responding by simply saying good choice as I have no interest in Compound bows. He took offense of me not having interest in wheel bows and went on a rant. What scares me is I have been told that compound and crossbows make up 95% of the archery market. To me that means that only 5% of people claiming to be in archery are truely in archery.
What gives me wings? Flying with my arrows over and over again. And never giving up...For giving up means not believing...

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2015, 07:01:00 PM »
I believe in behaving with grace...to a point.  I will not have anyone accuse me of being unethical to my face nor say I look ridiculous without very kindly putting them in their place.  I understand not wanting to lose a customer but I would have had that guy leaving the shop with me having the last word, not him, and he would have left buying his contraption anyway. Its the damn McDonald's ignorant trash mentality rampant in our country, not to say that ignorance hasn't existed in every age.  Screw em.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2015, 07:06:00 PM »
Deleted

Never mind I have more class than this LOL
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2015, 07:08:00 PM »
A title of a Wensel book comes to mind…"And the Horse You Rode In On"
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline Lassiter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2015, 07:09:00 PM »
Originally posted by Sean B:
You can't  fix ignorance!!
You CAN fix ignorance.......what you can't fix is stupid.            ;)

Offline highlow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2015, 07:20:00 PM »
Are we to endure the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune, or should we take arms against a sea of troubles, and, by opposing, end them? Hamlet had it right. Give these naysayers as good as you get, if not better.
Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy - Ben Franklin

Offline Cavscout9753

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2015, 07:23:00 PM »
Just make a "bragging" book of a bunch of trad kills, this continent or any other and when someone talks like that, show them of trad bows light and heavy dropping critters all over, and for a few hundred years. Some people are just poorly informed. And why wouldn't they be? Bowhunting keeps growing. With that comes the marketing of a bigger, better, faster, easier world. I have a subscription to an archery magazine that I won't name, but its popular, and I dont even read it. They just sit there waiting for the subscription to die off. But thats what most folks know and see.
ΙΧΘΥΣ

Offline BUCKY

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2015, 07:25:00 PM »
You should have said to him when YOU grow up you'll get a real bow not a wheel bow!

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2015, 07:30:00 PM »
I would simply tell him to try and keep up.RC

Offline Robert Armstrong

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2015, 07:38:00 PM »
God, help that guy!!! Thanks for the humility to not be a bad exampel of a way of life that some great hunters will never be able to grasp.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2015, 07:47:00 PM »
Originally posted by RC:
I would simply tell him to try and keep up.RC
I like that response!
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©