3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: some peoples nerve...  (Read 1913 times)

Offline Mike Mecredy

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: some peoples nerve...
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2015, 07:58:00 PM »
Did you ask him what kind of bow his husband shots?
TGMM Family of the bow
USAF, Retired
A.C.B.C.S.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2015, 08:18:00 PM »
I like RC's response.

No sense looking equally like an AH.  There are those sorts in every walk of life.  They buy a hot rod car and are instantly NASCAR material.  They buy a high end bow and feel that makes them a pro.  What they need to do is add an attachment port, one to each side so he can hang two GoPro's  onb long arms and take video of his greatness.
ChuckC

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2015, 10:02:00 PM »
Originally posted by Mike Mecredy:
Did you ask him what kind of bow his husband shots?
LMAO!!!     :clapper:
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline Michael Arnette

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2015, 10:07:00 PM »
If I were a dealer I wouldn't sell crossbows period...I tell people to get a real bow (compound or traditional)

« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2015, 10:12:00 PM »
Some folks just have not seen the light.........and have no clue!

Bisch

Offline Whitetail Addict

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2015, 10:16:00 PM »
I always thought WE shot the big boy bows. No let off, generally no release, sights, etc. That's not to even mention Xbows. Oh well, there are a lot of morons in the world, we're bound to run into one from time to time.

Bob

Offline fnshtr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2015, 10:16:00 PM »
I had the reverse to happen to me once. Went into a bow shop in North Carolina in the '70s and when the shop owner ask me what sight I used, and I told him "none", he came unglued!

I was with my two older brothers that also hunted "bare bow". I figure the guy is still upset!!!
56" Kempf Kwyk Styk 50@28
54" Java Man Elkheart 50@28
WVBA Member
1 John 3:1

Offline tomsm44

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2015, 10:37:00 PM »
My dad had this happen at an archery shop once.  He was actually shooting a compound, but it was one of the old wood riser ones around 15 years old at the time with no sights.  He took it in to get the string replaced and a couple of guys started criticizing the bow, and him for shooting such a dinosaur.  He walked back to his truck and got a picture album with 15 years worth of nice bucks with that bow propped up on them.  That pretty well ended the laughing.  The shop tech was grinning the whole time since he sold the bow to my dad originally and knew what it was capable of in the right hands. I know it's not really traditional, but it's a similar scenario.

Matt
Matt Toms

Flatwoods Custom R/D:  64", 47@28
'66 Kodiak: 60", 55@28
Redwing Hunter:  58", 53@28
Ben Pearson 709 Hunter:  58", 47@28
Ben Pearson 709 Hunter:  58", 42@28
Hoots Recurve:  56", 42@28

Offline Mr. fingers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2015, 10:47:00 PM »
You can only hunt with an X bow if your handicapped or over 60 during bow season or you can use one during the rifle season here in MN. Every year when the regs come out I cringe thinking they will make them legal for,everyone during the archery season as I see more and more store selling them.

So,you could of said enjoy you handicap elderly bow.

Or even better you could have reminded him of the fall of the Roman Empire and that there crossbows were no match for the English archers with there longbows!!
Tim

Offline Brock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: August 25, 2015, 10:59:00 PM »
you should collect pictures from here of all the 45# bows killing hogs, deer, bear and more...and then educate them.  Ignorance is no excuse and the media and pro shops do nothing to downplay it as they make money on accessories and upgrades and trade ins every year or two as the newest and best comes out.
Keep em sharp,

Ron Herman
Compton's Traditional Bowhunters
Backcountry Hunters & Anglers
PBS Assoc since 1988
NRA Life
USAF Retired (1984-2004)

« Reply #30 on: August 25, 2015, 11:19:00 PM »
Every year I run into perfectly healthy men with crossbows in Iowa, all claiming to be disabled because their shoulder hurts. When one of them was shooting his kids bow, I pointed out that he did not look disabled, He said, "Not with that bow it's only set at 50 pounds, I can shoot that all day.  Besides, a couple of years ago I did hurt my shoulder with a 75 pound bow."  Apparently, once you get your foot in the crossbow door you have a free pass for life.

Offline LoneWolf73

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: August 25, 2015, 11:31:00 PM »
poor guy, more money than common sense.
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways-BOW in one hand-ARROWS in the other-Body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming-WOO HOO! WHAT A RIDE!

Offline fnshtr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: August 25, 2015, 11:38:00 PM »
This year, for the first time, crossbows are allowed in West Virginia, during archery season. It started out for disabled hunters only.

I would have no problem allowing them during gun season or in a short special season, but do not think they should be allowed during archery season. With muzzleloading season and several different firearm "antlerless" seasons now... Real archers are losing more and more of our hunting time.

$$$$$
Sorry to rant.
56" Kempf Kwyk Styk 50@28
54" Java Man Elkheart 50@28
WVBA Member
1 John 3:1

Offline Knotter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: August 25, 2015, 11:39:00 PM »
I once has a guy scoff at my 65# longbow (which is pretty stout compared to a 45).  He was shooting a cranked up speed wheeler and i offered him an opportunity to shoot it.  He got about halfway into the draw and started to wobble and grunt. I told him you start light and move up.

he kept it zipped and was very nice to me after that.  

...as for your "friend"... only the willing can be cured of ignorance and will is not easily maneuvered. Don't worry.  You know what you know.
56" TD Checkmate Hunter, #55@28
66" Checkmate Crusader, #60@28
60" Meland Pronghorn LB, 65@28

Offline bruinman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: August 26, 2015, 07:15:00 AM »
Yep, I had it happen one time. Only once though. A shop owner told me I was unethical. He said the animals deserved better. We owe them better than that he said. We should shoot equipment that gets complete penetration, so the animal will die quickly. In 47 years of doing this, there has never been a big game animal that I have not shot completely through. There have of course been a couple less than stellar hits.

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: August 26, 2015, 07:59:00 AM »
I've read about these interactions such as here but I have never, in my 45 years in archery have had such a thing happen in my presence.

34 of those archery years I shot a compound. I was just as much an archer then as before and now.

An owner/salesperson must bite their tongue or hurt their bottom line which can do financial harm for their family.  

I agree with most that you did well to tolerate the misinformed customer.

However, no one would get by with suggesting that I'm unethical without a lecture. That person would be a bit less ignorant after the exchange.  Some people go through life unchallenged and therefore remain ignorant of certain things.

Offline Jon Stewart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: August 26, 2015, 08:24:00 AM »
My dad said it best one day, the compound will be the ruination (one of his made up words) of archery.  Look where archery has come from and where it is going to.  Now the crossbow! What is next for our sport?

Keep in mind that many  who post on traditional web sites go to the compound to hunt and some go to the crossbow.  Go to a trad shoot and just listen to folks talk about hunting and you will realize that the traditional hunter is in the minority in this sport.

About the only place a traditional archer/hunter can buy supplies are at shoots.  We are lucky to have a very faithful group of businesses to attend shoots so we can pick up the things we need.  The mom and pop archery shop, like my dad had back in the 60's is long gone.

If it is legal then by all means use the equipment that meets your desires. Me I went from traditional to compound to traditional to primitive. I could care less anymore what folks use but I will not be preached to.

Offline Panzer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: August 26, 2015, 08:45:00 AM »
I honestly think that a lot of guys feel intimidated when they see some of us using equipment that requires more skill and effort than there's. I have had guys tell me that they couldn't do what I do. When I joined the Marines I knew guys that flat out said that they couldn't do it and they treated me differently after knowing I was a former Marine, some became very jealous especially those from other branches. Sorry but it's true.

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: August 26, 2015, 09:02:00 AM »
You, as a salesman, handled it perfectly. Keep your mouth shut and make the sale silently realizing your customer is a jerk.

I had the exact opposite happen when the cable guy showed up to do some work and spied my "Traditional Bowhunter" license tags holder. He wowed me with how fast his compound was, how far away he could hit a deer and through very small openings too. I asked him if he'd like to see a bow (ILF with carbon limbs and arrows) and me take a few shots and he jumped at the chance since he'd never seen a traditional bow shot before.

Luckily I put 4 arrows into a softball sized group around the spot from 25 yards and he was greatly impressed with the quietness of the bow, the perceived speed and accuracy and the solid impact the arrows made in the target. Needless to say he was impressed and enjoyed the little demonstration.

He wanted to know about aiming and I explained gap shooting to him which made perfect sense to him. He went away happy.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline J. Cook

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: August 26, 2015, 09:07:00 AM »
I've never gotten a bad reaction before - in fact, most of the time they are amazed at "it" and when I ask if they'd like to try it, they usually light up like a kid at a candy store.
"Huntin', fishin', and lovin' every day!"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©