3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: some peoples nerve...  (Read 1909 times)

Offline JohnV

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: some peoples nerve...
« Reply #40 on: August 26, 2015, 09:08:00 AM »
I'm sure I would have ended up being fired on that day because I would have made comments back to the effect that some people want to hunt deer and accept and embrace the challenges and some just want to kill deer.  There is a difference.  Very clear which camp he is in.
Proud Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline Veneficus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: August 26, 2015, 09:17:00 AM »
It takes more skill patience and practice to shoot traditional equipment with accuracy over compounds and crossbows, most today elect to go the easy route and replace skill with technology,thats why they shoot compound/crossbow to begin with. Its easier.
That guy was putting you down to make himself feel better,very childish. So if you ask me,who is the real"big boy"? Not him.
Just my opinion.

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: August 26, 2015, 09:26:00 AM »
Gonna stick my neck out on this one:

IMHO People will use a cross-bow because they don't care to take the time to learn how to shoot! They think it is better than a trad bow or even a wheelie bow because of rated draw weight and speed...

Yes (we) have our limitations with range and accuracy, but that it what makes it "archery" for goodness sake! It's like night and day...

Funny thing was said to me years ago... I was telling a good friend how much fun it was to get in close to game... He said- "If you want to get closer, use a bigger scope!" I thought I was gonna die...   :D  

The same fella, just last week, walked into an archery shop with his older wheelie bow looking for a new string... Shop owner told him "Can't be found." Then sold him a $1200- Cross Bow outfit!

Follow The Money as they say in some circles...

... mike ...   :archer2:   ...
"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

Offline Whitetail Addict

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: August 26, 2015, 09:52:00 AM »
Originally posted by fnshtr:
This year, for the first time, crossbows are allowed in West Virginia, during archery season. It started out for disabled hunters only.

I would have no problem allowing them during gun season or in a short special season, but do not think they should be allowed during archery season. With muzzleloading season and several different firearm "antlerless" seasons now... Real archers are losing more and more of our hunting time.

$$$$$
Sorry to rant.
I agree. They're allowed during the last couple weeks of our archery season here, and I'm afraid that now that they have their foot in the door, they'll eventually extend it to the full season.

I have nothing against Xbows, or the folks that use them, but I'm 100% against them being legal for use during archery season.

$$$$$... Absolutely!

Bob

Online Wheels2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: August 26, 2015, 10:05:00 AM »
Was he Amish?  Around here they sell a ton of them to the Amish.  They don't hunt, they just kill deer.
Did you sell him a light for on it?
No poacher's rig is complete without one.
And this coming from a guy who stills shoots comping occasionally.....
Super Curves.....
Covert Hunter Hex9h
Morrison Max 6 ILF
Mountain Muffler strings to keep them quiet
Shoot as much weight as you can with accuracy

Offline killinstuff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: August 26, 2015, 11:14:00 AM »
Lots of you are just as bad as the guy buying the crossbow.  Most of your statements are baseless and unfounded.  I know Bonebuster has run into crowded hunting areas but having grown up in southern MI public land was always crowded and the number clowns with weapons was always a problem. Put&Take pheasant hunts were scary. As for the rest of the guys, crossbows have zero effect on your hunting.  Why care what the other guy shoots?

Anyway, the best way to combat someone who doubts your ability with your stick bow is to pull out my phone and show them all the dead deer, bear, hogs and small game I have pics of.  They change their mind pretty quick.
lll

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: August 26, 2015, 11:33:00 AM »
Don't worry about what you can't change. There is a line from an old Ray Stevens song that went, "There is none so blind as he who will not see." Let him shoot his X-bow, and you shoot your trad bow. I guarantee the sun will still rise in the east in the morning.
Sam

Offline longbow fanatic 1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: August 26, 2015, 11:38:00 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by mcgroundstalker:
Gonna stick my neck out on this one:

Funny thing was said to me years ago... I was telling a good friend how much fun it was to get in close to game... He said- "If you want to get closer, use a bigger scope!" I thought I was gonna die...    :D  

... mike ...    :biglaugh:    :laughing:

Offline Whitetail Addict

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: August 26, 2015, 11:39:00 AM »
Originally posted by killinstuff:
Lots of you are just as bad as the guy buying the crossbow.  Most of your statements are baseless and unfounded.  I know Bonebuster has run into crowded hunting areas but having grown up in southern MI public land was always crowded and the number clowns with weapons was always a problem. Put&Take pheasant hunts were scary. As for the rest of the guys, crossbows have zero effect on your hunting.  Why care what the other guy shoots?

Anyway, the best way to combat someone who doubts your ability with your stick bow is to pull out my phone and show them all the dead deer, bear, hogs and small game I have pics of.  They change their mind pretty quick.
I'm all for people using whatever makes them happy, but we have a group of guys where I hunt that start making drives, and chasing the deer around as soon as Xbow opens. They screw things up royally for me, and the other archers here. I don't think they have any place in an archery season, and I respectfully disagree with anybody that does.

Bob

Offline longbow fanatic 1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: August 26, 2015, 11:54:00 AM »
I have a friend, a compound hunter, who was continually jabbed by a colleague that archery hunting wasn't really hunting at all. That was because the guy said hunters in his country (Africa), real hunters, used spears. I guess we all face the same biases.

Offline Mark R

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: August 26, 2015, 12:13:00 PM »
Was thinking on a reply,but never had luck arguing with stupidity and ignorance.Keep making the bucks on those xbows its your job, more cash for your hunting and trad gear. If your not confident and accurate with trad gear then by all means use a weapon that you are,The magnificent beasts we hunt deserve it.

Offline Mike Mecredy

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: August 26, 2015, 12:49:00 PM »
I think the main point of the original post wasn't so much the fact the guy bought a crossbow, rather the statement about how using a longbow isn't ethical.  That's not something you say to other hunters.
TGMM Family of the bow
USAF, Retired
A.C.B.C.S.

Offline Gehrke145

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: August 26, 2015, 01:18:00 PM »
I'm not going to comment on the crossbow, its just another tool to use and who am I to judge what someone else likes.  

The comment towards trad hunters, well I've seem lots of guys at the 3d range that sure shouldn't be shooting at animals.....  Sometimes I think we are a little to sensitive to what people are saying and what they mean.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: August 26, 2015, 02:08:00 PM »
"As for the rest of the guys, crossbows have zero effect on your hunting. Why care what the other guy shoots? "

NOPE, Incorrect answer.  This past year's stats came out in Wisconsin and the crossbow folks came up with very nearly the same percent success rate as the gun hunters.  Well above the "vertical bow guys.

That. . .  affects my hunting, now and in the future.
ChuckC

« Reply #54 on: August 26, 2015, 02:15:00 PM »
I have lived my life taking on tough challenges of many varieties.  I have a natural dislike for anyone that acts like big stuff because they have a big gun, a fast compound or a crossbow.  I run into it every year, guys that think they have power and can push us around and be rude.  I do not feel the need be politically correct.  I see the gun hunters flying around sections chasing deer every year, there are many of them here that do just that, the accepted thing to do during gun season. Some are the same guys that hunt with crossbows, their first deer bow season and it is with a disabled pass to use a crossbow. Not making a generalization, I know them, the same people.  Users of crossbows are not a separate race or religion, it is not racist to have a natural distaste for their choice.
 "well I've seem lots of guys at the 3d range that sure shouldn't be shooting at animals...." I do not judge how someone hunts when shooting at a target event. 3d events are not a pass/fail system for judging anything, but it always seems perfectly fine to judge other trad shooters because they cannot hit long targets at a 3d event, while at the same time we have to be nice to crossbow shooters that are in it because they like short cuts to any challenges.  I have seen many more gun hunters and now the new 'sore shoulder' crossbow shooters that should never be allowed to hunt.  Sorry, since I am not political I have no way of knowing when I am not politically correct. However, I do know that it takes less money to bribe a local state politician than it takes to bribe a Washington politician.

Offline Charlie3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: August 26, 2015, 02:23:00 PM »
As some have said the phone pics game killed with a stick always raise an eyebrow. Always.

Offline killinstuff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: August 26, 2015, 02:28:00 PM »
How is that  Chuck? Less targets in the woods? How many targets do you need to be successful? Guys can only kill what the law allows.  Tag out and they are out of the woods and no states kill totals have had dramatic rises since crossbows came around.  Fear mongering is all it is.  Having never shot a crossbow  or a compound I have no clue what the draw is but I see and kill a whole lot more critters than the guys I know who shoot other weapons.  I only compete with myself and have no worries about the other guys.
lll

« Reply #57 on: August 26, 2015, 02:42:00 PM »
killinstuff, you are so right, their is obviously no off position.  It is not fair to the other hunters in Michigan that bow season comes earlier and is longer than the gun season. Anyone should be able to have their choice, this is a free country, and all hunt the same season.  Besides, once a tag is filled, and their buddies tag, and their brothers, wife's, second cousin on the wife's side of the family, and everyone that joined in on the killin' party, then they will be out of the woods.  What am I saying, I am so sorry, but really bow seasons are way too long anyway, they should much shorter and we should should share them, because sharing is good.

Offline Gehrke145

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: August 26, 2015, 03:18:00 PM »
"I do not judge how someone hunts when shooting at a target event. 3d events are not a pass/fail system for judging anything, but it always seems perfectly fine to judge other trad shooters because they cannot hit long targets at a 3d event, while at the same time we have to be nice to crossbow shooters".

This is actually what I hate about traditional archery!  Badmouthing a guy for taking any easier way, possibly because they know there limitations and want to make an ethical shot.  Then making the excuses of not being able to hit a target but feel they should still hunt.  Sad sad sad

Online Lucas K

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: August 26, 2015, 03:33:00 PM »
Sounds like you are a great employee and you can handle a crappie customer well. I believe the  crossbow will be the end of the compound bow as more of the eaiser/faster crowd find their way to them...
Lucas Kent

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©