3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Self Bow DVD recommendation  (Read 547 times)

Offline snowplow

• Trad Bowhunter
Self Bow DVD recommendation
« on: August 26, 2015, 03:25:00 PM »
Hi guys, I'd love to pick up a self bow tutorial vid. What would you say is the best one out there?

The only ones that come to mind are the Dean Torgues one and Billets to bow by Glenn St Charles.

Any recommendations for me?

Offline snowplow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Self Bow DVD recommendation
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2015, 03:53:00 PM »
Also someone on here gave me a description of the Trad Bowyers Bible before. I think they said volume 1 was just history, volume two etc....

I am trying to figure out which to buy first. IIRC #`1 was not the most helpful to start with.

Looking to build a maple or yew longbow.

Offline Green

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2015, 05:05:00 PM »
Gary Davis' video Rattlestick is a classic and was/remains very helpful.  Also, Mike Yancey's video on the sinew backed bow is a good one to own.
ASL's, Selfbows, and Wood Arra's
Just because you are passionate about something, doesn't mean you don't suck at it.

Offline Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2015, 05:28:00 PM »
OK, I have seen most of them and I will say there is not or has there ever been a video out there that you can watch and learn step by step how to make a bow. You will pick up some good pointers on all of them but will not learn how to make a completely finish a bow, they all leave something out. They have to cut corners or the video would be at least 5 hours long.

They do pretty good on stave selection, layout and floor tillering could be better, tillering; an all day process for me is condensed into just a few minutes on the videos and is a bit vague.

Here is the biggie that is always omitted; problem solving, what do you do if something doesn't go as planed, heat corrections, limbs out of time, string not centered on the handle, hinges and a host of other things I run into every time I make a bow.

As for the Bowyers Bibles; volume one is the one you want first, more bow making info then 2 or 3. I had two and three as well, I have never seen #4.

Online Terry Lightle

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2015, 05:42:00 PM »
Mike Yancey video,he is a sponsor here
Terry
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member

Offline Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2015, 05:45:00 PM »
Mike had a really neat way to apply sinew, I enjoyed his video.

Offline Green

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2015, 05:53:00 PM »
Clay Hayes' videos on Youtube are very helpful as well.  Eric brings up a great point, it is very helpful to have a mentor somewhere who can help you evaluate pictures, videos, etc. of your work to give you direction.  James Rempp has been a huge help to me through the first 4-5 bows as has the internet advice and build alongs on other primitive sites and our own Bowyer's Bench.  

Several years ago I won one of Eric's tillering Gizmo's in a drawing here on TG.....invaluable little tool.  Look that one up in the BB.
ASL's, Selfbows, and Wood Arra's
Just because you are passionate about something, doesn't mean you don't suck at it.

Offline JR Williams

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2015, 05:59:00 PM »
Agree with all of the above, started my first Osage bow with Al Herrin's Cherokee Bows book, and the Rattlestick DVD. They were great, but as I ran into issues I used this site's search and generally found the answers (most of the time with very helpful pics), and sometimes youtube videos.

The DVDs are great, but when you hit problems, and if you don't have a mentor, then you may need other assistance.
God Bless

Numunuu

Offline takefive

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2015, 08:14:00 PM »
I liked Dean Torges' DVD about making a BBO, but was disappointed that it skipped over most of the tillering process, which is always the hardest part for me.  Then again, maybe he can floor tiller to within 5 pounds of his target weight.  This mere mortal is lucky to come within 20 pounds and with a few hours of head scratching and cursing still to come.
TBB1 has a lot of good info.  Of the rest, I reread Vol. 4 the most.  Just about any success I've had making wooden bows has come from reading The Bowyer's Bench on here and the PA forum.  There are so many good bowyers on here and they are always generous with their advice.
Make one of Eric's gizmos if you don't already have one.  It's cut my cursing by more than half.   ;)
It's hard to make a wooden bow which isn't beautiful, even if it's ugly.
-Tim Baker

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2015, 08:55:00 PM »
Originally posted by okla bearclaw:
Mike Yancey video,he is a sponsor here
Terry
X3, very good video Mike has produced and you can always call him for pointers and supplies. He gives bow building classes to people from all around the world at his shop in Arkansas.

Tracy
You really haven't hunted the old fashion way until you've done it from one of these Indian houses.(The Tipi) "Glenn ST. Charles"

Offline snowplow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2015, 11:28:00 PM »
Whats the mike yancey vid?

Online Chad Orde

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Blog
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2015, 08:01:00 AM »
-------------------------------------
https://www.youtube.com/@Island_Drifter

https://www.instagram.com/island__drifter/

Failure is the condiment that gives success its flavor. Truman Capote

Offline Jack Skinner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2015, 09:24:00 AM »
Eric hits it true. You can read all the books and watch all the videos but you will just have to make shavings to get the true knowledge of bow making. A mentor would be great and the bowyer's bench is a lot of help. Selfbows by their nature will almost always throw you a curve and only experence your's or a mentor's will help you make bows or fire wood.

So read books watch videos but make shavings, as others have said troubleshooting is the most difficult part of bow making then tillering and Eric's gizmo has done more to improve my bow making than any advice, book, or video.

Offline Scott E

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2015, 10:20:00 AM »
Originally posted by Green:
Gary Davis' video Rattlestick is a classic and was/remains very helpful.  Also, Mike Yancey's video on the sinew backed bow is a good one to own.
Rattlestick
Self reliance cannot be bought

Offline mwosborn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2015, 11:42:00 PM »
Agreed - you can't learn to ride a bike by watching a video of how to ride a bike.  Same is true for making a bow.  BUT....Gary Davis' video does a great job of helping you get started and giving you the basics of the process.  I learned a great deal watching it at least 10 times as I made my first bow.  I also bought Mike Yancey's video when it came out - he gives a different perspective on making a sinew backed bow.  I have made several sinewed back bows, but have not used his method yet.
Enjoy the hunt!  - Mitch

Offline Danny Roberts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2015, 01:02:00 AM »
My cousin and I have made several bows after watching Mark Keller's dvd. 3 Rivers has it. Good luck, the good thing is it's very addictive.

Offline Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2015, 08:14:00 AM »
Mark Keller's video was the first one I bought many years ago. It is a very entertaining video because of his enthusiasm but there is less actual bow making info in it than any video I have seen since, he just hits the high spots.

Could be that the DVD is an up dated version, I don't know  because the one I bought was in VHS.

Offline Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2015, 08:22:00 AM »
I think what it is; If you have never made a bow,the videos look like something special, so much knowledge to absorb. They get you really excited about the process and you think "I can do this".

After you have made a bunch of bows you look back and think "The videos are fun to watch but don't really show you the way."

Offline snowplow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2015, 05:13:00 PM »
Thanks for the help guys!

Offline Mike Yancey

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2015, 06:21:00 PM »
All I can tell you is that I put all I had into the making of my DVD. I planned it out over a year and had 6 bows from stave to almost finished to be able and film the deal in three days and invested several thousand dollars. You should be able to make a bow from mine as well as Gary's with any mechanical skills at all and a few tools. The problem with a video is you simply cant film every single minute of the bow making process. It takes roughly four hours to tiller a bow so why show every minute of it, just give a few pointers and go with it. Don't make it any harder that it is, remove wood where its thick and not bending and avoid where its thin and bending to much. Its as simple as that! All you need is a sound method and both that you are talking about have that. I have had many great comments from guys that have bought my DVD and I thank you all. This is a way of life for me and not just a passing fad that I started because it looks cool hunting with a longbow or flintlock. I love it and live it everyday and will personally answer questions hours each week from guys that are just getting started. Good luck with your bow building, there is nothing like making your own and hunting with it.
Mike

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©