3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Thank you Rob Green  (Read 627 times)

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
Thank you Rob Green
« on: August 26, 2015, 11:32:00 PM »
I'm pretty sure I've said it before on other posts, but I just made a new batch of Sitka spruce and it got me a thinking.

I would not be able to make the arrows I do if it were not for Rob Green!!! Thank you very much Rob for all the time you put in walking me thru your steps for building arrows. I first talked to Rob and "met" him online when I was asking about arrows, it started with him walking me through the steps and sending me a link to his straighting video, which has led to a great friendship.

I had tried a few times to make arrows, everytime I ended up with some expensive tomato stakes and to the point I was a devout wood arrow basher, Rob then asked me some questions and wound up with my address and a few weeks later a box showed up out of nowhere. I noticed it was from TX , I open it up and it's some beautify arrows. Rob told me that if I couldn't shoot these then I couldn't shoot anything!!!! LOL. Well that was the day I learned a good set of woods can fly as true as any carbon or aluminum.

So now a few years later, a lot of effort and practice and I'm now making wood arrows I'm proud to shoot and that fly amazing!!!  They still are not as straight as what Rob gets them, and the finish is not as glass smooth but good serviceable arrows they are.

So again, thank you Rob, you are an arrowsmith like I've never met before and a great friend!

Watch Rob's videos if you want to learn to make some straight shafts!!!

JD Berry Taipan (original) 53@28 62”
Cascade mountain Brush Hawk 53@28 56”

Re: Thank you Rob Green
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2015, 11:54:00 PM »
Way to go Brian! You are way up there filling his head more full than it already is!!!! Have a little consideration. We have to live with him down here!      :scared:      :scared:      :scared:  

And I'm sure you are right, but I'll stick to my carbons (me and wood arrows don't get along)!    

Bisch

Offline Stump73

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2015, 12:43:00 AM »
:thumbsup:
BigJim Thunderchild 54" 52# @ 28"
BigJim Thunderchild 56" 42# @ 28"

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2015, 06:42:00 AM »
Bisch,
Ol Rob told me about your ill treatment of woodies left behind...... Pretty tough message you were sending to the rest of them LOL.

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2015, 07:28:00 AM »
I appreciate all of you folks that can build shoot-able arrows.

I could watch all the videos that exists but I doubt that would change how I feel about trying to build one.....lol

Kudos to all of you arrowsmiths!!!!!

God bless,Mudd

PS: Did I say..."I hate, hate, hate, anything to do with building arrows.
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2015, 07:40:00 AM »
:thumbsup:
shoot straight shoot often

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2015, 08:42:00 AM »
Originally posted by Brianlocal3:
Bisch,
Ol Rob told me about your ill treatment of woodies left behind...... Pretty tough message you were sending to the rest of them LOL.
Nothing burns prettier that a wood arrow!!!    :scared:    :scared:    :laughing:

Bisch

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2015, 08:56:00 AM »

Offline Green

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2015, 08:58:00 AM »
Brian.....Thank You for the kind words.  Really glad to help in some small way with the satisfaction of making your own tackle.

Bisch......nothing may burn like a wood arrow, but nothing else flies as well as one either.  IMHO.      :D
ASL's, Selfbows, and Wood Arra's
Just because you are passionate about something, doesn't mean you don't suck at it.

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2015, 09:45:00 AM »
" Well that was the day I learned a good set of woods can fly as true as any carbon or aluminum."

I guess I need Rob to send me some, because I don't believe this statement at all! lol.  Not intended to be rude, but I just don't believe that.  I have shot a few and they are never very consistent imo.  

I want mine specifically for archery tourneys, but I have to find 1 that shoots well and shoot it for the entire round.  If that one should start shooting crazy for a few targets until I find that other one that shoots straight...

Rob, you just tell me where to send my address.  :)
"Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD And whose trust is the LORD. Jeremiah 17:7

"There is a way which seems right to a man,
But its end is the way of death."  Proverbs 14:12

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2015, 09:52:00 AM »
Daniel?
I too am a tourny archer. I shoot LB in IBO, wood arrows.

I was gonna shoot MLB because I couldn't get woods to fly, I took those arrows rob sent me to the Worlds, my first ever big tourny and was fortunate to come in 8th, and yes the arrows made the difference

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2015, 09:53:00 AM »
I couldn't have shot a better score with carbons or aluminums, it was all the archer who lost those points!!

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2015, 10:08:00 AM »
Brian,

Can i ask what your average points per target was?  

I may need to express that I might not have ever had any QUALITY shafts then.  

I try to shoot as many tourneys as I can each year and almost every tourney I go to the carbon score is higher than the wood(just from my observation).  I won a tourney last year with a 341/400 with wood arrows, the winner in carbon shot a 367(I beat him with wood arrows).  

This year, I shot a 261/300 and got second with wood and shot a 279 with carbon.  I have never seen a guy who could shoot carbons and wood equally as well, unless it was equally as bad.  Some guys just don't shoot seriously, which is fine with me, but I like to compete.
"Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD And whose trust is the LORD. Jeremiah 17:7

Offline Green

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2015, 10:16:00 AM »
Based on the scores you're posting Brian, I'd say you're a top tier shooter.  The quality of your equipment definitely comes into play at that level.
Just because you are passionate about something, doesn't mean you don't suck at it.

Offline taxyman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2015, 10:36:00 AM »
Very informative video you made on how to get your shafts straight  Mr. Green....thank you! Sure did help me a lot!    :thumbsup:    :clapper:
Bear's Paw Classic    50&55# 62"
Blacktail Elite VL    50# 64"
Blacktail Elite VL    53# 62"
Dakota Pro Hunter     50# 64"
Stalker Wolverine FXT 50# 64"
Predator Classic   46&51# 62"
Zipper ILF Hunter     51#
Wapiti T/D 45&50# 62"

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2015, 10:40:00 AM »
I only shot a 8.5 PPT AVG.
I'll have too look at my score card for the numbers again.

Locally I typically shoot 340-350 range out of 400.

Now Kurt stunkle who I shoot with (2nd in MLB THIS year) usually shoots 360-380 locally.

Honestly though I keep the same scores with other shafts.

I'm a serious shooter , just not as naturally talented as others lol, so I accept  my shortcomings

Offline Green

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2015, 10:40:00 AM »
Thanks Taxy.  

Actually the arrow straightening thing was an accident.  I was spinning some arrows years ago, trying to get my broadheads to spin straight.   I noticed what the shaft was doing as it hung off the other end of the spinner.  I started moving the shaft back and forth on the spinner, noticing where the bends would show their most pronounced wobble.  One thing led to another, and not liking "compression" straightening methods, what I show in the video was the end result.  Years later, I saw a graphic that illustrated how a shaft flexes at the two nodal points (approx. 1/3rd of the way from each end), and that helped me to refine the way I go about this.

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2015, 11:47:00 AM »
Originally posted by Brianlocal3:
I only shot a 8.5 PPT AVG.
I'll have too look at my score card for the numbers again.

Locally I typically shoot 340-350 range out of 400.

Now Kurt stunkle who I shoot with (2nd in MLB THIS year) usually shoots 360-380 locally.

Honestly though I keep the same scores with other shafts.

I'm a serious shooter , just not as naturally talented as others lol, so I accept  my shortcomings

Offline Green

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2015, 12:22:00 PM »
Daniel, post that pic!

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2015, 02:54:00 PM »
The reason I think woods are as good as other arrows is not that are just as straight, because they are not. However, most of us are not steady enough to make much real use of the increased degree of straightness found in carbons or aluminum, not at the distances we normally shoot. At most of the shoots I attend, the score with woodies are about as good as with the carbons. However, the enhanced confidence factor that some feel with carbons is probably very real. Shoot what you like, and if equipment is well tuned both arrows will punch center.
Sam

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©