3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Why are leather back quivers so expensive?  (Read 671 times)

Offline links0311

• Trad Bowhunter
Why are leather back quivers so expensive?
« on: October 12, 2007, 10:30:00 AM »
I can't seem to find a leather quiver for less than 50 dollars. There are some very nice ones for 100-120, but I only paid 150 for my bow, I never thought I would have to match the price of my bow for a quiver. Why are they so expensive?

-Links

Offline shawnee

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Why are leather back quivers so expensive?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2007, 10:40:00 AM »
Have you priced a side of leather lately?  A half side of latigo or oil-tanned leather will easily cost over a 100.00.  It will take 1/3 to 1/2 of that half to make a back quiver, especially if the quiver has any extra pockets or anything.

When I made mine, I probably had 10-12 hours of time invested, plus materials to stitch it, needles, blades to cut with, and a lot of little stuff that it takes to do many projects.

I bet if the people that make quivers charged minimum wage for their time, quivers would cost way more than they do.
Well, who'da thunk it!

Offline David M. Mathis

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2007, 10:44:00 AM »
You know how many hours to brain tan a hide? A lot
for me. Mike

Offline MI_Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2007, 10:47:00 AM »
3-Rivers has one for $30.

Ranger Back Quiver  

I made my own but it still cost me a bit in materials, dyes, etc to get it the way I wanted it.

EDIT: I didn't read the item description closely enough, This one is not made from leather.  Sorry for any confusion.
"Failure is an attitude, not an outcome."  -Harvey Mackay

:archer:               MikeD.

Offline WildmanSC

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2007, 10:59:00 AM »
Check out the quivers on the following link.  Mike is a sponsor:

http://www.mikesarcheryleather.com/

I have one of his 4" Hunter quivers and it is nice!

Bill
TGMM Family of the Bow

-----------------------------------
Groves Flame Recurve 62", 45#@28"

Praise the Lord Jesus Christ, He is Worthy

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2007, 11:00:00 AM »
MI_Bowhunter that one is made out of polyester.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline TimZeigler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2007, 11:03:00 AM »
Go to goodwill and pick up a used leather jacket and build one yourself (or three), there are plenty of build-alongs on here to guide you through. Tim
USMC 1992-2000
PBS Associate Member

Offline MI_Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2007, 11:05:00 AM »
Sorry, my bad, I didn't look closely enough before posting the link.
"Failure is an attitude, not an outcome."  -Harvey Mackay

:archer:               MikeD.

Offline Jason Lester

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2007, 11:17:00 AM »
The 3 rivers one isn't leather. Leather is expensive. I have a Neet Traditions that is leather and pretty nice.

Mike's Archery Leather (Sponsor) has some nice ones. They are a little more than 50 but hand made for you. And Mike is a good guy!

Have you used a back quiver before. It may not end up being what you want. If you know someone who has one you may try theirs while target shooting. Regardless of the cost you may not like it if you've never used one before.
Jason Lester

Offline Jason Lester

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2007, 11:21:00 AM »
Man I must type slow LOL
Jason Lester

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2007, 11:36:00 AM »
Try making one yourself out of 8oz leather. Hand-stitch & lace it, but make it plain. See hw long it takes & then think how much you'd want an hour for the finger-breaking labour, factor in the $60 or so for materials & you'll see why they're so expensive!  :D
"I came into this world, kicking, screaming & covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem going out the same way"

PBS & TBT Member

>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline Archer 1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2007, 11:39:00 AM »
I have made, and sold a ton of back quivers, and as shawnee said, It isn't cheap. If I had charged minimum wage, my quivers would have been well over 200.00. I sold most of them for between 50.00 and 120.00, depending on how fancey they were, and what kind of leather they were made from. You don't make a lot of money making quivers. You just have to like to do it.
May Your Feet Always Make Happy Tracks.

Offline Talondale

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2007, 11:41:00 AM »
Originally posted by shawnee:
Have you priced a side of leather lately?  A half side of latigo or oil-tanned leather will easily cost over a 100.00.  It will take 1/3 to 1/2 of that half to make a back quiver, especially if the quiver has any extra pockets or anything.

When I made mine, I probably had 10-12 hours of time invested, plus materials to stitch it, needles, blades to cut with, and a lot of little stuff that it takes to do many projects.

I bet if the people that make quivers charged minimum wage for their time, quivers would cost way more than they do.
My thoughts exactly after I made mine.  They aren't charging enough.  Make your own by using jacket leather as suggested earlier or call local leather upholstery shops and ask for any scrap leather.  I got a lot, cheap.

Offline hunt it

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2007, 12:53:00 PM »
Check out Stephen Catts mountain hunter quivers and the $150.00 will seem really cheap!
hunt it

Offline Otto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2007, 03:29:00 PM »
Yep...make one of your own and then see if you're willing to put it up for sale for $30.
Otto

Offline Kingstaken

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2007, 04:49:00 PM »
If ya think a pretty lQQking leather back bag is expensive, have ya seen the prices on those 12 pcs of 1/4" wood sticks, about 29" long with some feathers and lead points that goes into that lovely leather bag? As a kid we used to find them and burn them in the fire....

We all said this is the best sport, never said the cheapest...$$$$$   :bigsmyl:
"JUST NOCK, DRAW AND BE RELEASED"

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2007, 05:33:00 PM »
Oh, the sport is dirt cheap. That is, it is cheap if you make all of your own stuff. If you want the goodies without doing the labor, however, then you will need to pay somebody to do it for you.

I respect wholeheartedly to ones who do it all themselves, spending their money on tools, and their time and sweat on the equipment. There is an infusion of their soul in the bows they carry, and a fusion of souls when they take their game with cane or sourwood arrows that they crafted.

Some of us can't seem to find the time, or the skill. We pay. And pay. And pay. Gladly.

Killdeer   :bigsmyl:
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Frank V

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2007, 06:14:00 PM »
I have made 3 quivers & they are expensive to make. Even the one I was given the leather for cost me 6 hours labor. Drawing patterns,redrawing them,altering them after they are drawn. It has to be something you like doing to do much of it. Leather is very expensive too. Frank
U.S.A. "Ride For The Brand Or Leave."

Offline Labs4me

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2007, 08:29:00 PM »
Links,

This is a very good example of, "You get what you pay for."

In 1992, I paid about $120 for a high quality latigo leather back quiver. Nothing special in terms of overall appearance, but definitely a quality made back quiver. Fast forward fifteen years to the present. In addition to conforming to my back like it was hand made to fit me (which it wasn't; just a stock quiver at the time), it has served as a day pack, a seat cushion one wet hunts, and a pre-season scouting "possibles" bag. Not to mention that it also adds a bit of rustic ambiance to my great room where it adorns the wall during the off season. And if anything, it has more character and is more functional today than the day I purchased it.

A QUALITY back quiver will stand up to a life time of abuse and you will find yourself sentimentally attached to it to the same degree that you become attached to your "go to" bow. This is why leather back quivers cost so much and in IMHO are worth every penny!!!
"You must not only aim right, but draw the bow with all your might." - Henry David Thoreau (Before the advent of compound bows with 85% letoff)

Offline WESTBROOK

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2007, 08:39:00 PM »
Leather aint cheap and neither is a crafters time!

Eric

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©