3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Observations and thoughts  (Read 291 times)

Offline bear bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
Observations and thoughts
« on: August 27, 2015, 10:10:00 AM »
In my early years of bowhunting with a compound, I was always looking for every ounce of speed I could get. I'm not sure why, but I did. I would break accessories off of my bow from all of the vibration. I managed to kill my fair share of deer with these set ups.
As I aged, I started to look for a bow that felt and shot well. Slower speeds and more accuracy along with a quieter shot. I killed my fair share of deer with these setups as well.
A few years ago, I dabbled in the trad thing and I killed a nice buck with a regular old store bought recurve.
Now I'm fully immersed in traditional bow hunting and while shopping for a bow, I wanted something that felt and shot well. It's far from fancy and it's certainly not a speed demon but I like it. I got the opportunity to shoot a very high end 3 piece recurve. It felt clunky to me but it shot very well as far as I could hit where I was looking.
I think I'm writing this because I read so many posts about what is the fastest or the best and I think that answer is different for everyone. I don't think there is a whole lot of bad products out there but plenty of good and bad experiences. I'm one of those types that if it works, I like it. Not much flair.

Offline tomsm44

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Observations and thoughts
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2015, 12:54:00 PM »
I think you're dead on.  I currently have 4 bows; 3 recurve a and 1 R/D longbow in various draw lengths, draw weights, and bow lengths.  All mine are one piece bows, but one is a Super Kodiak, which has a similar feel to a three piece, and I have shot several three piece bows that belonged to others.  I've also shot different weight arrows from most of them trying to see how it affected speed, noise, etc.  I haven't fully settled yet on one setup that I think is perfect.  I have a 43# recurve and a 47# longbow that both shoot great with the same arrow weighing between 550-600 gr.  they aren't speed demons by any means with that arrow, but they're quiet and the arrows fly great.  I have a 53# recurve shooting approximately 530 gr arrows.  It's very noticeably faster, but it's also noisier.  I've also shot a 500-525 gr arrow from the longbow.  With that arrow, it nearly matched the speed of the 53# recurve.  It's a little quieter than the recurve, but noisier than it is with the heavier arrows.  There is a very noticeable difference in the feel of each bow.  I can shoot any one of them very well, but if I shoot with just one for a long period of time then switch, the new one feels weird to me.  But it only takes a few days of shooting it for it to start feeling right.  If I then shoot it for a while and switch back, the one that was so comfortable originally will feel weird.  There are also other factors to consider.  Different lengths fit better to different hunting styles.  The weight can also be important for hunts involving lots of walking.  Then there's personal preference, which may not have any rhyme or reason behind it.  And of course, aesthetics.  Doesn't affect performance, but it's still important to some people.  I think the key is to get a setup you like and stick with it.  

Matt
Matt Toms

Flatwoods Custom R/D:  64", 47@28
'66 Kodiak: 60", 55@28
Redwing Hunter:  58", 53@28
Ben Pearson 709 Hunter:  58", 47@28
Ben Pearson 709 Hunter:  58", 42@28
Hoots Recurve:  56", 42@28

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2015, 02:02:00 PM »
I agree! What works for some is not good for others. That's why lots of products are made. Speed is good, but it is not the all inclusive factor in making a good bow. Any reasonably powerful bow is fast enough to cleanly take game. Being accurate with it is generally more crucial. None of my Hill style bows shoot on the high end of the speed chart, but they work and tend to be quiet.
Sam

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2015, 07:21:00 AM »
I think that variation,and differences in bows and personal taste is what makes trad archery so enjoyable for me. When I look through catalogs, most compounds look almost identical, no matter who makes them (Hoyt is often the exception). If I go to a trad shoot and look at trad bows there are certainly similar shapes but each bow's wood combination and length make them unique. I like that. I used to look for that bow that would give me incredible accuracy, but I have come to realize that if i do my part with form and focus any well made bow will shoot good groups where I am looking, given an adjustment period like Matt talks about.  So one of the joys of traditional archery is looking at and trying different bows to you find the combination of looks and feel that you love.  And unlike women, there is no penalty for loving more than one.
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©