3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: I'm Guilty...  (Read 623 times)

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
I'm Guilty...
« on: August 27, 2015, 02:06:00 PM »
... Guilty of thinking myself more "in tune" with archery than the wheelie bow or cross bow shooters... Then I Woke Up! Who am I to judge?

Many of you have got it right... We are all on the same team! You can bet I'll be out there with my .243 and in-line during those seasons... But for now I'll enjoy the thrill of trad archery for all its' worth!

... mike ...   :archer2:   ...
"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: I'm Guilty...
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2015, 02:39:00 PM »
We try not to be judgemental, but at times we all fall into it. That is why we need to periodically remind ourselves not regard our preferences too highly. We feel, and justifiably so, that our way is the best - FOR US. We only are truly out of line when we reach the point of not allowing another point of view to be considered.
Sam

Offline Archer1977

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2015, 03:15:00 PM »
Me too. I love trad archery...compound bows...crossbows...muzzleloaders...centerfire rifles... I especially like wild game meat too. They are all effective at putting meat on the table and fun, why limit yourself?
Dwyer Longbow 48#

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2015, 03:34:00 PM »
I got to thinking about what I posted in another thread on this site about a customer being out of line with a salssman... Anyway, those that don't understand about trad archery just, well, don't get it... No Big Deal!

Remember the first time you put on a back quiver full of arrows? What did you say to your self then?

... mike ...  :archer2:  ...
"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

Offline Michael Arnette

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2015, 03:35:00 PM »
I don't think anyone is bashing anyone in particular, rather this is a discussion on hunting ethics and the theory of limited effectiveness for greater experience... It's the foundation that our archery seasons were originally founded on.

Offline Whitetail Addict

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2015, 05:17:00 PM »
Originally posted by Michael Arnette:
I don't think anyone is bashing anyone in particular, rather this is a discussion on hunting ethics and the theory of limited effectiveness for greater experience... It's the foundation that our archery seasons were originally founded on.
:thumbsup:

Bob

Offline TenkaraGrasshopper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2015, 05:39:00 PM »
It is about time outdoors doing what we love with what we have and not letting anything get in the way of our enjoyment. Experience is number one and with that experience comes the knowledge of when to shoot or not shoot as the case may be.

My archery foundation is the love of the outdoors and the people I meet along the way who share the same way.
Respect your elders.

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2015, 06:24:00 PM »
You don't have anything to apologize for, you're Mr. Ciccone, a legendary bowman and I am honored to be your acquaintance.    :p

These days, no one bothers me for what choices they make. We all have our own lives to live and looking after mine is difficult enough.

Offline trubltrubl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2015, 06:48:00 PM »
I am in the same thought..hunt with what you want. However I don't think crossbows should be in the archery season. I am selfish and like the bow seasons as long as possible and as archery equipment gets more technical and harvest numbers increase because of it ..it will shorten the season for archers...I know it is selfish but I like the archery seasons as long as possible...

Offline Cavscout9753

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2015, 07:14:00 PM »
Yep, as long as its ethical and legal, to each their own. But the entire issue is why I'm grateful that of all the T.V. Shows out there, Fred Eichler is holding his own. If folks don't like trad for any number of reasons thats fine by me, there's a lot of time and effort involved in becoming (and staying) proficient. I just hate when people say or act like it isn't doable, been done, or being done still. Seeing Fred on regular shows getting after it with his recurve is, at very least, getting the message out there.
ΙΧΘΥΣ

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2015, 08:28:00 PM »
I got friends who hunt with trad, compounds, and even crossbows. They are still all my friends. I don't care what a guy uses, as long as he is out there and doing it legally.

That being said, I'm pretty sure I have the most fun!    :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:  

Bisch

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2015, 07:31:00 AM »
The unexamined life is not worth living
Socrates.

Good for you Mike, Life is worth living.... Don't be too hard on yourself, we all need to check our brakes once in a while.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2015, 09:24:00 AM »
I'm a HUNTER first!!!!! My ancestors were hunters...

Many hundred years ago... The idea of "how to build a better trap" is what kept people ALIVE!!!

We call it "technology" today... But, it still serves the same purpose, it puts food in family's bellys. Many folks today, are overcome by technology and choose to "step back" (such as us) However, we must never forget where we came from!!! "Hunting" is a tradition"!!!!! This is what I teach.....
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline Tradcat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2015, 09:34:00 AM »
I have to fight the "purist" mentality demon all the time. We are all hunters and should support each other completely. Lord knows we have enough enemies with the "anti" groups

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2015, 09:46:00 AM »
Originally posted by Sam McMichael:
We try not to be judgemental, but at times we all fall into it. That is why we need to periodically remind ourselves not regard our preferences too highly. We feel, and justifiably so, that our way is the best - FOR US. We only are truly out of line when we reach the point of not allowing another point of view to be considered.
I think this was worded...PERFECTLY!  I do joke with my buddies who shoot compounds, as they do with me.  But in the end, we share a campfire and are always pumped when the other connects.
"Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD And whose trust is the LORD. Jeremiah 17:7

"There is a way which seems right to a man,
But its end is the way of death."  Proverbs 14:12

Online Jim Wright

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2015, 09:48:00 AM »
I have never judged anyone who shot compounds, crossbows or whatever. That said, I do not consider myself on any "team" and it is my personal opinion that a compound is a mechanical device that launches an arrow and crossbows are even further removed from archery. They don't even shoot an arrow but rather a bolt. I do have a problem with the fact that here as in many other states we no longer have an archery season, it has been replaced with a crossbow season. I can still hunt with my bow during it the same as during general rifle season but there is no archery season anymore.

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2015, 10:25:00 AM »
Originally posted by trubltrubl:
I am in the same thought..hunt with what you want. However I don't think crossbows should be in the archery season. I am selfish and like the bow seasons as long as possible and as archery equipment gets more technical and harvest numbers increase because of it ..it will shorten the season for archers...I know it is selfish but I like the archery seasons as long as possible...
I agree and disagree.  I personally don't think anyone should be able to use a cross bow unless they have a reason(old age, handicap, etc).  Louisiana Wildlife and Fisheries has been discussing shortening our season and more specifically, the gun season.  I think we need as many people fighting for archery in LA as possible, whether it be compound, crossbow, or traditional equipment.  

Last season here there were some 140,000 deer harvested, roughly 9,000 of those with bow and crossbow.  

And, those are only claimed tags.  I'd bet there were another 20,000 who never called in a tag.
"Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD And whose trust is the LORD. Jeremiah 17:7

"There is a way which seems right to a man,
But its end is the way of death."  Proverbs 14:12

Offline JamesV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2015, 11:03:00 AM »
If the projectile has feathers/vanes it's archery.
Proud supporter of Catch a Dream Foundation
-----------------------------------
When you are having a bad day always remember: Everyone suffers at their own level.

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2015, 01:25:00 PM »
I will be sharing the field (hopefully) with my son, grandson, and best friend this season. There will be recurve, compound, and crossbow used among us four. The equipment we choose to use will be invisible. The hunt and the company is the important thing.

This doesn't mean I'm lukewarm about my chosen equipment. In fact, I'm anything but.  Because of a shoulder issue I'm  having I may very well not be able to use a KY cow archery elk tag that took me 9 years to draw. I could legally use a crossbow but I'd rather frame the tag if I can't shoot my recurve.

I wish I could give the tag to my son or grandson but that isn't allowed. (I support the reasons for not allowing the transfer of the tag.)

Offline newhouse114

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2015, 05:46:00 PM »
For me, the decision to go traditional was a very personal decision. I hunted with both bow and rifle for years. I was a registered hunting guide in Alaska for 11 years and had a lifetime of experiences while doing that. I competed in 3D in Alaska with the wheel bow and harvested numerous moose, caribou, and one dall sheep with it. Hunting had lost its allure, it was simply harvesting. When I picked up the ancient recurve that had been gathering dust for nearly 30 years I was transported back to when hunting was FUN. Three recurves and a long bow later I still feel like a newby on his first hunt when I carry the stick bow. The anticipation and joy cannot be compared to any other hunting method. At least for me.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©