3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Loud bow, help me  (Read 629 times)

Offline rscornutt

• Trad Bowhunter
Loud bow, help me
« on: August 27, 2015, 05:33:00 PM »
I'm stumped. I have a Bear Patriot, 64" and 45@28". I draw about 29, so I'm shooting close to 47#. The bow is fantastic in every way except one. It's loud. It came with a D97 string, replaced it with a Flemish twist fast flight string. I've moved nock height, gone to a calf hair rest, shot 400 and 500 spine arrows. I've put yarn silencers on it, which helped, and even added a set of cat whiskers with the yarn.

Brace height? I've tried the gamut, even bracing lower and higher than recommend.  I've never had a bow I couldn't get quiet. Maybe I'm overlooking something, maybe I'm thinking too much now.

Suggestions? I want to hunt this bow, it shoots like a dream.

Online evgb127

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Loud bow, help me
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2015, 05:38:00 PM »
You tried different spine arrows, but have you tried different weights?  I have found that heavier arrows help to quiet bows.
-EVG

Offline rscornutt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2015, 05:46:00 PM »
No, I have used 125 gr. field tips for everything. I will give it a try. Thanks.

Offline Anointed Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2015, 06:03:00 PM »
Try a Dacron D50 string instead of your fast flight string.
For God was in Christ, reconciling the world to himself, no longer counting people’s sins against them. And he gave us this wonderful message of reconciliation.

Offline Anointed Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2015, 06:04:00 PM »
For God was in Christ, reconciling the world to himself, no longer counting people’s sins against them. And he gave us this wonderful message of reconciliation.

Offline Whitetail Addict

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2015, 06:09:00 PM »
On top of the the advice you've already been given, changing the position of your silencers can make a difference too.

Bob

Offline ISP 5353

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2015, 06:59:00 PM »
I had a Patriot that I had the same issue with.  I tried a couple of different strings and finally found a D97 by Big Jim that was quieter than the others.  I used fur silencers, but they were a little bigger than standard Beaver fur ones.  That quieted mine down enough to hunt with.  I tried heavier arrows and did not notice much difference.  Good luck!

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2015, 07:02:00 PM »
Tuning, release (cleaner release = quieter), arrow weight, nock fit, silencer type and placement--those are the big factors IMO.

Offline RETARMY06

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2015, 07:29:00 PM »
Nothing against Bear, but of the bows I've owned (or currently own) the Bears were the loudest. I don't know why really. My most quiet is a 1959 Blackhawk Bee. My second most quiet is a Ben Pearson 58" Special (year unknown). In last place is my 1969 Bear Tigercat. I had a 1968 Bear Cub (semi-curve) that was insane loud. I wish I had a good answer for you.

Offline VA Elite

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2015, 07:48:00 PM »
My Super Ghost sounds loud to me, but I don't if it's just because Im the one directly behind it. After this season Im going to probably up my arrow weight considerably and see what that does.
If you profess with your mouth Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved Romans 10:9

Online SuperK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2015, 08:03:00 PM »
I have a Predator recurve that was loud.  I tried just about everything possible (padding the string with yarn, multiple string silencers, etc.) to reduce the noise.  I even thought about going to a B50 sting.  Then I met Allen Shafer (of Ten Ring Strings) at a  3D shoot in Virginia.  We talked about the problem and I ended up ordering a bowstring made from FURY.  I also had him tie on some cat whiskers.  Long story short, that FURY bowsting solved the problem.  Before you pull out all your hair, get him to make you a string. You will not believe the difference.   :thumbsup:
They exchanged the truth of GOD for a lie,and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator-who is forever praised.Amen Romans 1:25 NIV

Offline NothingHappenedToday

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2015, 08:25:00 PM »
Are you shooting split or 3 under? My Bear AuSable was very loud shooting 3-under, super quiet shooting split.
Hummingbird Kingfisher Longbow
Hummingbird Dyna-Stick Longbow
Bear Ranger

Offline rscornutt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2015, 09:15:00 PM »
I shoot three under. I do shoot split finger on my 68" longbow.

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2015, 09:50:00 PM »
Originally posted by LBR:
Tuning, release (cleaner release = quieter), arrow weight, nock fit, silencer type and placement--those are the big factors IMO.
^This

Also, makes sure your string doesn't have excessive twists.  Forget Dacron B50, it may lower the tone but will just increase vibration.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline Stump73

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2015, 10:40:00 PM »
Could your arrows be hitting the strike plate or shelf making noise?
BigJim Thunderchild 54" 52# @ 28"
BigJim Thunderchild 56" 42# @ 28"

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2015, 11:41:00 PM »
Surewoods arrows were noticeably quieter than lighter carbons with one of my bows.
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Offline 9 Shocks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2015, 12:28:00 AM »
Yeah I would try shooting heavier point weights too.  My guess is that your arrows are overspined. Even with a 500 spine arrow Id try starting with at least a 175 grain point.  I shoot 30.25" .500's with 200grains up front out of a 46lb bow but I only draw 27"s.  My guess is that you are still overspined and could try heavier points for sure.  Everyone has made good suggestions as well.
60” Bear Mag Takedown 47@28
58” Schafer Silvertip recurve 47@27
58" Primaltech Longbow 48@28

Offline kevsuperg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2015, 07:08:00 AM »
Try for atleast a 500 gr or so arrow , that should help and silencers are a band aid to bow noise but I do use them.
 The right spot for brace, arrow weight and silencers are out there you just have to find them .
 What is your arrow set-up.
USAF Medic 1982-1992
Life member BHA.
RMEF, PBS, Compton, idaho trad bow hunters

Offline Jon Stewart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2015, 07:32:00 AM »
Give a 14 strand B-50 string a try.  You may have to put two sets of beaver silencers on it also.

Offline Yewbender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2015, 11:15:00 PM »
B50 string, wood arrows, and try shooting split fingers. I shoot these on my 64 Grizzly and 68 Kmag with string silencers and it really quites them down. Good luck.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©