3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Predator Hunter recurve  (Read 699 times)

Offline Mryan2176

• Trad Bowhunter
Predator Hunter recurve
« on: August 28, 2015, 08:09:00 AM »
Does any here shoot this bow? Seriously thinking about purchasing one for deer hunting next year. I'll stick with my don dow stik this year. I was hoping someone could post some.pictures of this model as I can only find a couple of OK pictures online. What are your thoughts on these bows? Anyone use an elevated rest on these bows? Unfortunately I can't handle one before I buy. I was looking at the Bear TD but want to keep it under 700 or so. I have heard good things about the predator TD recurves.
Thanks, Matt.

Online NBK

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Predator Hunter recurve
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2015, 08:46:00 AM »
I used to have one.  I found it to have great shooting qualities in that it was smooth drawing, relatively quiet, dead in the hand on release and of course Predators are really quick.
What I didn't like was the grip.  The shelf sits right atop your hand (good thing) but the shape of the grip made my hand slide into the throat to the point of feeling like it was being crammed in there.
Now a grip can be modified so its not a deal breaker and if I shot recurves I would consider one again.
Mike

"I belong anywhere but in between"

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2015, 09:05:00 AM »
Heard nothing but good about the shootability, they have a stellar reputation.  The only thing that has turned me off is like last poster said the grip seems kinda generic on the off the shelf models, I would want a custom one or have to add some beaver tail or a Sur-grip to increase traction.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline SERGIO VENNERI

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2015, 09:37:00 AM »
Absolutely best value in a recurve!!! I have 3!! Ron Pittsley is an awesome bowyer and they stand by their Product!! Fast, Quiet,Stable!

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2015, 10:18:00 AM »
I had two ( switched to lefty so they were sold).  One was my go to bow.  Very good looking, awesome shooter, fast.  Heavy riser, good weight distribution.  I very well may end up with another, but I am trying ( yeah right) to keep my bow inventory very small now.  

One point I noted.  I LOVED the handle shape, and that it is close to the arrow, however, and there were earlier discussions about this, there seems to be a fairly sizeable difference in the circumference of the handle (the throat or thinnest part) from bow to bow.  

I like a fairly narrow handle throat.  If my first Predator was of the wider variety, I wouldn't have bought another.  My second one was bought used, for the limbs (heavier), and not so much for the entire bow.  It was thicker in the handle and undesirable to me.

They are great bows.  Know what you are looking for when you get into it.
ChuckC

Offline Bob Gulliksen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2015, 10:45:00 AM »
The guys at Hunters Niche will work with you on the grip. I have two Predators and they modified the grips on both.

Offline PaulDeadringer29

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2015, 12:32:00 PM »
I have experience with Predator bows from a 60" bow 65@28 all the way to a 62" 42@28. I am very impressed with these bows because they are fast, stable, smooth, and very quiet. Ron is a great bowyer and just as good an archer, he shapes those grips that way for a reason. My hands are bigger and I love the grip. Ron and Mike are great to deal with. Predators are a great value new or used, and all the limbs made after a certain year are interchangeable. I highly recommend them. [/url] [/IMG]   [/url] [/IMG]  [/url] [/IMG]  [/url] [/IMG]

Online Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2015, 12:48:00 PM »
that grip is what sets it apart from all the others,,, once you get used to the grip you'll notice a big difference especially so with moving targets, airials but it forces you to shoot off the hand for lack of a better word.

also, not sure if the new ones are the same as the old one but my preditor is an original darton pittsley preditor I bought off Ron years ago at denton hill,,,, it has the flat grain elm limbs and no carbon BUT you would think it has a few layers of carbon by how smooth it draws 10 times smoother than my palmer classic with double carbon limbs also alot more smother than the morrison LB I had with bamboo and foam core limbs.

I originally bought mine after seeing so many
harvest Photos of a woman named Connie Renfro in the back of TBM with her Preditor, I was after lighter recurve and didn't have good access to the internet so I figured if it works for her it will work for me,,  all my shafers, widows, Bob Lees are all gone but the Pittsley stays.
"Us vs Them"

Offline Owlgrowler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2015, 02:25:00 PM »
All the pics I have of mine have a dead deer under it, it's my go to whitetail bow, 54#er.

Bragging may not bring happiness,
but no man having caught a large fish,goes home through the alley.

Online stagetek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2015, 03:59:00 PM »
I have several. Not a bad thing to say. Excellent bows.

Offline Mryan2176

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2015, 07:43:00 PM »
Thanks for the replies guys. The grip looks similar to my 2011 kmag, so I should be able to get used to it. The kmag is just too short for my taste. Paul those are some beautiful bows. I have read that some peoe have the feathers contact their hand when shooting, is this common with these bows.? I will lost likely use an elevated rest anyway.  Thanks.
Matt.

Offline Greyswampfox

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2015, 08:31:00 PM »
I really like my Predator Hunter.  Very smooth and stable.  Feels easier to hold at full draw than other bows of the same poundage.  The grips do very from bow to bow but I love mine.  As said previously, Ron and Mike are great to deal with.   My next bow will be another Predator.
Predator Hunter 50 @ 28
Palmer Classic 45 @ 28
Martin Hunter 55@28

Offline PaulDeadringer29

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2015, 08:35:00 PM »
Thanks. I shoot off the shelf, I had some feather contact in the beginning but small adjustments cured that.

Offline PeteA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2015, 09:53:00 PM »
I have been shooting a Predator Hunter for about 5 years. I love everything about the bow. As others mentioned th bow is very stable and smooth and dead in the hand. I've found it very easy to tune and with a medium to large size hand I find the grip a perfect fit for my hand. My bow is 46 @ 28 but it zips an arrow closer to 50 lbs. You can't go wrong with a Predator Bow.
Predator Hunter 46#@28
'70 Bear Kodiak Hunter 45#@28
'72 Bear Grizzly 45#@28

Offline Mryan2176

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2015, 05:40:00 AM »
Thanks again guys. Greyswamp or Pete, do yu guys have any pictures of your predator recurves? I really would like to see a nice picture of the hunter model that is dark colored. Honestly I prefer the  custom option, but don't want to drop the extra cash, as I don't really have it. I do like the darker finish as well, just wish I could see some better close ups. I plan on ordering from 3 rivers next month or so. I'm selling my kmag and one of my don dows to help pay for it. I kept one of them as its my go to and I couldn't ever part with it. I killed my first trad  deer with the kmag, but after a form correction, I draw where I am supposed to now and its not comfortable for me anymore. I plan on getting the predator at 45 ponds but I draw a touch over 29 so I should get a couple of extra pounds. 45 pounds has proved plenty for deer hunting and, even though I can comfortably shoot 55 pounds or so, I enjoy shooting the lighter bows more. One of the reasons I'm interested in the predator is the fact I can buy heavier limbs later. Thanks for all the info folks. You guys are the best.

Offline Greyswampfox

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2015, 05:26:00 PM »

Here is my Predator Hunter.  This is their charcoal Futurewood riser but this one has a lot of character.  I was told that it is caused by dense spots in the Maple wood that the finish doesn't penetrate like it does in other parts of the wood.  I called Ron and told him that I was looking for a Hunter riser with a lot of character or uniqueness.  Check out their website and give Ron and Mike a call and let them know what you are looking for and what they have there for Hunter risers.  They are great to talk to and deal with.
Predator Hunter 50 @ 28
Palmer Classic 45 @ 28
Martin Hunter 55@28

Offline Greyswampfox

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2015, 05:35:00 PM »
Sorry for the Labrador photo bomb.
Predator Hunter 50 @ 28
Palmer Classic 45 @ 28
Martin Hunter 55@28

Offline randy grider

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2015, 07:22:00 PM »
I have 3, love them all. They give up nothing to any other brand in smooth draw, no handshock, and speed, I have heard many complain about the grip, but myself find it very comfortable. It feels to me like the bear production recurve handles. I cant see how you can go wrong with them.
its me, against me.
member KTBA,MCFGC,UBK,NRA

Offline Mryan2176

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2015, 08:09:00 PM »
That is a nice looking bow, and lab. Lol. Thanks. I'll call them up and see what they have. I am a lefty so maybe I'll have to have one made anyway. Keep em coming if u have them guys.
Matt.

Offline Joe Mc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2015, 10:52:00 PM »
I just found this topic and have just ordered a Predator Hunter today.  3 Rivers shows to have the left hand risers.  I'm sure I'll like the bow as much as some of you guys.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©