3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Can't put it down  (Read 715 times)

Offline threeundr

• Trad Bowhunter
Can't put it down
« on: August 29, 2015, 01:52:00 PM »
I have been shooting archery since the late 70's. Over the years I have owned some great bows. Some of them were very expensive, some of them, not so much. I have enjoyed shooting all of them because I love archery and there is no other activity that I would rather do. I am not unlike others who share a passion for the bow. Over the years I have diligently searched for the perfect bow. I have owned and shot in excess of 85 bows over the years, both longbows and recurves, and sadly I have let most of them go. Some of them were real performers. Very fast, very quiet, smooth, stable, and accurate. Some of them embodied all the things that we value in a bow. However of all the bows that I have owned over the years, there is one that I can truly say, I couldn't put down. It was a Steve Abbott longbow. It was 62" 52 @ 28 ". It had a walnut riser with a simple black leather wrap, limbs had bacote back Bamboo core and yew belly with walnut tip overlays. It didn't matter how tired I got, or how much my shoulder hurt, I always wanted to shoot just one more arrow. With that bow it was addictive! I can't explain it with word's, other than to say, I just couldn't put that bow down. The funny thing is, it wasn't the prettiest, or the fastest, or the most sought after bow that I have ever owned, but for some reason, I just couldn't put it down. That particular bow for me, embodied everything that I love about traditional archery. Sadly I let that bow go in a moment of stupidity. I have owned many bows before I had that one , and I have owned many bows since, and none have ever compared. Maybe I will own another some day. I wish that I had a picture to post of that bow, but I don't. If you can relate to my experience and have a bow that is, or was special to you, one that you just can't put down, I would love to hear about it. Please post pics if you have some to share.
Thanks -Leonard-
-Leonard-

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Can't put it down
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2015, 01:56:00 PM »
My Ancient Spirits Kadiak is getting to be that kind of bow for me...and like you I have had quite a few...that bow is not going anywhere

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline threeundr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2015, 03:31:00 PM »
DDave, I had an Ancient Spirit's several years ago. I believe it was a Thunderhawk. Definitely one of the prettiest bows I have owned.
-Leonard-

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2015, 04:06:00 PM »
Love Abbott's. One of two longbows I can shoot.
Love the history behind Steve's bows too.
David M. Conroy

Offline threeundr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2015, 05:22:00 PM »
I was sad to hear of Steve Abbott's passing. He was a very talented bowyer. He really made some simple bows that worked very well. I for one will miss his talents.
I am getting a Northern Mist Baraga. I have heard some great things about these bows. Who knows, maybe it will be the next one that I can't put down.    :thumbsup:
-Leonard-

Offline Etter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2015, 05:49:00 PM »
That bow for me is a black widow PAII greybark recurve. I recently purchased a zipper nitro longbow because of its light weight and speed. After a few months, I went back to my widow. It is honestly faster, quieter, more stabile, and more forgiving than any other bow Ive ever shot.

Offline hunthold

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2015, 06:17:00 PM »
I know what you mean by shooting the abbott. Steve made me an all bocote 58"er right before he passed away. I shoot that bow for hours. Easy bow to shoot and My quietest bow.
I would keep your eyes peeled for a used one again!

Offline threeundr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2015, 07:52:00 PM »
Etter, it's hard to best a Widow. The one I had was one of the quietest recurves I have ever owned.

Hunthold, I always have an eye on the classifieds. I know one will pop up again someday. Anyone else have a bow that they can't put down?
-Leonard-

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2015, 08:24:00 PM »
Mine is a Sarrels Blueridge long riser. [email protected]"

Bisch

Offline threeundr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2015, 08:32:00 PM »
I have always wanted to try one of those Bisch. I met Bob one year at the anual Stickbow Roundup in Chester Texas several years ago. He was a very nice guy, and he had some great looking bows.
-Leonard-

Offline Tradcat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2015, 08:37:00 PM »
Mine was a Treadway Black Forest longbow. It was 62" and 50 lbs @ 28". It was about 6-7 lbs too light for my draw length but the arrows just absolutely went where I was looking. That bow was smoooooth and quiet ! If it had been 52 lbs at 26", she'd still be in the stable. What a bow !

« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2015, 10:03:00 PM »
Originally posted by threeundr:
I have always wanted to try one of those Bisch. I met Bob one year at the anual Stickbow Roundup in Chester Texas several years ago. He was a very nice guy, and he had some great looking bows.
I did not even realize you were in TX. If you met Bob at Chester, chances are you have seen me too! I hang around his booth most of the time when I am not shooting. Bob and I have been good friends since before he started building bows. He is definitely one of the good ones!

Bisch

Offline threeundr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2015, 11:16:00 PM »
Tradcat, that Treadway is one that had eluded me. I have never heard anything but good things about Mikes bows. Definitely on my bucket list.

Bisch, I will have to look you up next time I am in Chester. Great shoot and great guys down there,always!
-Leonard-

Offline Tradcat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2015, 01:06:00 AM »
Definitely !

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2015, 07:54:00 AM »
Mine is. 96' JD Berry Taipain. 62" 51@28. It is my everything bow. I have shot and owned ALOT of bows, this one has never been pushed from the top. I'm about to step out on the 3d course with it now!!!
JD Berry Taipan (original) 53@28 62”
Cascade mountain Brush Hawk 53@28 56”

Offline threeundr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2015, 09:13:00 AM »
Brian, those Berry bows are hard to beat. JD has to be one of the finest craftsmen I have ever seen. I traded a guy a Palmer recurve for two longbows several years ago. The first longbow was the perfect specs for me. The second was a JD Berry Apollo. The Apollo was about 8 lbs heavier than what I liked to shoot, but it shot so well and it was a work of art. Needless to say, I didn't want to get rid of it, but my shoulder just couldn't handle the weight. I would definitely own another one  in a heartbeat!
-Leonard-

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2015, 11:06:00 AM »

Here she is

Offline threeundr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2015, 02:44:00 PM »
She's a beauty Brian. I noticed that you haven't added her to your signature yet? That one is definitely a keeper!
-Leonard-

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2015, 02:53:00 PM »
I I cannot access my profile. I broke a rule a couple years ago and i got locked out of my signature stuff

Offline threeundr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2015, 05:54:00 PM »
I know that we have lost alot of great bowyers in the last 25 years. Some of their bows are as scarce as hens teeth.    :dunno:
-Leonard-

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©