3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: The Death Moan  (Read 948 times)

Offline Kevin Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: The Death Moan
« Reply #40 on: September 01, 2015, 11:52:00 AM »
I believe the death moan is a true vocalization. I believe it is an involuntary moan which happens at that period where death/unconsciousness is overcoming life. I have witnessed death moans and cries in dogs, cats, livestock and other animals. In almost every case I would judge the animal to be semi- or unconscious, but not fully dead. In some cases they were breathing sporadically and struggling to live...though just seconds from death.

I think the reason some of us have difficulty with a bear's death moan is that it can sound almost human-like. It's only normal to identify with that and perhaps feel a connection. Most of us (I assume) believe that the experience of dying...that time where life declines quickly and then ends...is uncomfortable and a struggle. I think the 'death moan' is a vocal indicator of that final stress, just before death ensues.

Offline bowheadhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: September 01, 2015, 12:08:00 PM »
I think the reason some of us have difficulty with a bear's death moan is that it can sound almost human-like. It's only normal to identify with that and perhaps feel a connection. Most of us (I assume) believe that the experience of dying...that time where life declines quickly and then ends...is uncomfortable and a struggle. I think the 'death moan' is a vocal indicator of that final stress, just before death ensues.

The Bear stops Knowning that what death all about we stop knowning,,,,
The Rock-Star of Trad-Talk

White Wolf Max P 40-55 lb adjustable longbow..

Border Harrier #53 carbon fast as A BOW CAN BE.

Offline bowheadhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: September 01, 2015, 12:24:00 PM »
might be good idea to delete this Thread,,,

Offline Montanawidower

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: September 01, 2015, 12:31:00 PM »
Well put Kevin... couldn't have said it better.  I have seen the same and believe the same.  
 Understanding this, is not a weakness.  I beleive its part of what seperates hunters from killers.  I have, and do, know both.  

Jeff

Offline Jedimaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: September 01, 2015, 02:26:00 PM »
God created the animals, then He created man and gave him dominion over the animals. We are his stewards, the caretakers of His creation. To deny that intimate relationship and connectedness is to deny ourselves of a great gift that only man has - compassion.  In the same way God created life, he also created death. It is natural for death to occur making way for new life. Nevertheless it is somewhat painful to see life go. Especially so if it is by our choice. It is a great responsibility. The moan of a bear or the bleating of a deer or any number of sounds we hear when life ends is simply a reminder of the gravity of the situation. The necessary weight of our obligation. I'm glad people stop and give pause. It's so much better than the high fives & fist pumps of those who've lost the gift of being connected to the creature and the creator.
Do or do not ... there is no "try"

Cum catapulatae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Offline achigan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: September 01, 2015, 03:52:00 PM »
Originally posted by nineworlds9:
Bear Lives Matter.

Sorry, couldn't help myself.  

Respect and revere nature.  Plain and simple.  The outdoors are the spice of life, along with children/parenthood.
:rolleyes:  
nice one...)
...because bow hunting always involves the same essentials. One hunter. One arrow. One animal. -Don Thomas

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: September 01, 2015, 04:45:00 PM »
Originally posted by Jedimaster:
God created the animals, then He created man and gave him dominion over the animals. We are his stewards, the caretakers of His creation. To deny that intimate relationship and connectedness is to deny ourselves of a great gift that only man has - compassion.  In the same way God created life, he also created death. It is natural for death to occur making way for new life. Nevertheless it is somewhat painful to see life go. Especially so if it is by our choice. It is a great responsibility. The moan of a bear or the bleating of a deer or any number of sounds we hear when life ends is simply a reminder of the gravity of the situation. The necessary weight of our obligation. I'm glad people stop and give pause. It's so much better than the high fives & fist pumps of those who've lost the gift of being connected to the creature and the creator.
Could not have said it better myself.

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: September 01, 2015, 07:27:00 PM »
Nice topic Bob.

I'm not sure how I would handle that situation. I still want to bear hunt but I am not certain I would want to kill more than one.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline COMPOUNDLESS IN CONCRETE

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: September 01, 2015, 09:04:00 PM »
If you think a bear's death moan that sounds like a man sobbing is unnerving, wait until you hear the sound a cougar makes, it's like a baby crying and unlike anything you'll ever hear again.
"I am the way, the truth, and the life, no man cometh to the father except by me."  John 14:6

Offline bowheadhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: September 01, 2015, 09:11:00 PM »
Kinda like sound my wife makes when I get no over time on my pay check,,

Offline Brock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: September 01, 2015, 09:40:00 PM »
Originally posted by COMPOUNDLESS IN CONCRETE:
If you think a bear's death moan that sounds like a man sobbing is unnerving, wait until you hear the sound a cougar makes, it's like a baby crying and unlike anything you'll ever hear again.
they swear we dont have swamp panthers here in South Carolina but you only have to hear what sounds like baby crying in a burn unit deep in the swamp one time to never forget that sound....it is very unnerving.
Keep em sharp,

Ron Herman
Compton's Traditional Bowhunters
Backcountry Hunters & Anglers
PBS Assoc since 1988
NRA Life
USAF Retired (1984-2004)

Offline Yellow Dog

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: September 01, 2015, 10:58:00 PM »
Three bears in four years in Quebec but never heard the death moan. None went more than 60 yards but all three were liver shot, actually hit every one in the exact same spot. The result of trying to avoid the shoulder by not tucking it in tight. Don't know if a lung shot may have produced a moan. My best friends son killed a dandy bear last year in Ontario. He had it all on video, the moan was beyond creepy..
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline bowheadhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: September 02, 2015, 11:20:00 AM »
they swear we dont have swamp panthers here in South Carolina but you only have to hear what sounds like baby crying in a burn unit deep in the swamp one time to never forget that sound....it is very unnerving

Sounds like you have Nutria in them swamps,

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©