3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: The Elk will be there next year.  (Read 543 times)

Offline Burnsie

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
The Elk will be there next year.
« on: August 30, 2015, 04:00:00 PM »
My younger brother and I were scheduled to leave for the San Juan Mountains on September 10th.  We've been planning, talking and scheming since we were last there in 2013. The excitement has been building and we have been calling each other almost daily. He was planning to make the 3 hour drive down this weekend and we were going to do the final vacuum packing of our meals.

Well, life has a way of altering even the best laid plans.  Last week my brother went to his Dr. to get checked out before our trip to make sure all was ok.  He had been experiencing what he thought was a flair-up of diverticulitis (intestinal infection) that he has battled in the past. While he was there he mentioned that he had been experiencing some chest tightness and aching in his arms. His Dr. was alarmed and immediately ordered an EKG and several other tests. Well, after a whirlwind week of tests and a cardiac catheterization yesterday, it turns out his right artery is almost closed off 98% and his two left arteries are both 90%+ cloggged.  They were able to put in 3 stents for now to get some blood flow through the worst artery, but he will find out this week what the next course of action is.

So, needless to say, our Colorado elk trip is off for this year.  At this point the trip is dead last on my list.  I'm just thankful I still have a brother who may possibly be able to go with me next year.  The Dr. said my brother was basically a ticking time bomb and he was fortunate to get in when he did. So I will enjoy my Illinois whitetail season and pray for my brother's full recovery.
"You can't get into a bar fight if you don't go to the bar" (Grandma was pretty wise)

Offline Kopper1013

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: The Elk will be there next year.
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2015, 04:08:00 PM »
Glad it worked out, nothing more important than family (to me at least) you are right "the elk can wait" best of wishes. Lucky to get more time
Primitive archery gives yourself the maximum challenge while giving the animal the maximum chance to escape- G. Fred Asbell

Offline NormanDale33

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2015, 04:10:00 PM »
Hope he heals quickly! Glad they found it early. I am not heading to the San Juans this year either due to a wife's trip to Africa to help at an orphanage. They will be there next year...
Show me your ways, LORD,teach me your paths. Guide me in your truth and teach me,for you are God my Savior,and my hope is in you all day long.

Psalms 25:4-5

Offline Nantahala Nut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2015, 04:57:00 PM »
Glad to hear your brother got checked out. It is unfortunate that you won't be elk hunting but getting checked out for that trip could have saved his life.  Venison is lean and good for a man with heart troubles! Good luck in Illinois and your future elk hunts.

Offline varmint101

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2015, 05:08:00 PM »
Wow! Sucks, but great they found it before he had a heart attack.  Prayers for his full recovery!
Bless The Lord, O My Soul!

Member:
Indiana Bowhunter Association
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline stickandstring

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2015, 05:12:00 PM »
Unbelievable! Could you imagine if something happened on the top of some mountain>>
Let it fly ->>------>

Offline Burnsie

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2015, 05:25:00 PM »
Originally posted by stickandstring:
Unbelievable! Could you imagine if something happened on the top of some mountain>>
So True!  
I half kidding told him that I would have really been PO'd at him if he had been his usual stubborn self, tried to tough through it and ended up going down back in the middle of no-where.  Where we go back in, it would have been impossible to get him out myself or get help to him in any reasonable amount of time.
"You can't get into a bar fight if you don't go to the bar" (Grandma was pretty wise)

Offline jamesh76

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2015, 05:38:00 PM »
Praying for a full recovery.
-------------------------------
James Haney
Spring Hill, KS
_ _ _ _ _ ______ _  _  _  _  _
USMC Infantry 1996-2001
1st Marine Division
-------------------------------

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2015, 05:53:00 PM »
Prayers up for your bro! I hope all turns out well for him, and y'all get to the mtns next season!

Bisch

Online katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2015, 06:25:00 PM »
Best wishes for his recovery, great attitude and tell him to keep his current doctor as he had the time to listen to his patient.
shoot straight shoot often

Offline Burnsie

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2015, 09:10:00 PM »
Thanks for the kind words guys. Hopefully next year will work out.  We are looking into Lake Erie walleye fishing as a consolation trip. Any info/tips on that would be greatly appreciated.

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2015, 09:21:00 PM »
Yup. Life is more important than the elk. They WILL be here next year.     :pray:   here's to a fast recovery!

Offline BrownA5

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2015, 10:21:00 PM »
Will be praying for your brother.  You have your priorities right.  Wishing him a full/quick recory!

Offline fnshtr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2015, 10:36:00 PM »
I postponed my elk hunt this year also. Had knee surgery last week. These things happen. Will remember him in prayer.

A friend of mine has a fitting saying; "The main thing is to keep the main thing the main thing."

Blessings!
56" Kempf Kwyk Styk 50@28
54" Java Man Elkheart 50@28
WVBA Member
1 John 3:1

Offline huntnmuleys

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2015, 11:07:00 PM »
sad but glad they found it so there can be many more elk hunts in years to come.
is it September yet??

Offline MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2015, 11:35:00 PM »
I feel your pain, I couldn't make the annual elk hunt work this year either.  Hopefully, next year with my son .

Here's hoping and praying for a full recovery for next year!
Gary
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Online snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2015, 01:35:00 AM »
That elk trip just saved your brother's life!
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2015, 07:36:00 AM »
Originally posted by snag:
That elk trip just saved your brother's life!
Better to find out that way than on a mountain miles from the road.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2015, 09:13:00 AM »
As disappointing as it is to have to cancel the trip, your family is very fortunate that your brother was able to discover this health issue and take appropriate action. I hope his recovery will be both complete and very quick. Put the hunt back on the list for a later time.
Sam

Offline Flatshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2015, 01:54:00 PM »
Troy, glad to hear your brother is doing well.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©