3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Just can't enjoy it!  (Read 715 times)

Offline BAK

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Just can't enjoy it!
« on: August 30, 2015, 08:54:00 PM »
I went to my last mixed 3d today.  I love shooting 3d and have competed for the past 20+ years.  I say my last because I just can not enjoy shooting a mixed course anymore.  Today’s was a Rhinehart 100 and I shot the North American half.  The course was fine, the distances were OK,  but I was the only trad shooter that I even saw, and the way compound shooters view the world of 3d and “archery”  is so far removed from mine I just cant enjoy it anymore.  

The bino’s, the range finders, (which weren’t needed as every shot was pre ranged), the chairs, the radios blaring, the smart phones.  Bottom line is I just have to accept the fact I don’t fit in anymore.  I’ll keep my eyes open for trad only shoots, which are not real prevalent in my area, and spend more time stumping.

Wonder how long before the compound shooters feel the same way due to crossbows?
"May your blood trails be short and your drags all down hill."

Offline 1kwikstik

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Just can't enjoy it!
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2015, 09:25:00 PM »
I quit going to mixed shoots years ago for the very same reasons. At least most of them would let trad shooters shoot through instead of keeping us waiting 15-20 minutes at a target. Not enjoyable at all.
What we have done for ourselves alone dies with us. What we have done for others lasts forever.

Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2015, 07:12:00 AM »
Many times I feel the same at mixed 3D shoots... But don't miss another R100 because of wheelie bow shooters... Try to go in a small group of trad fellas and make your own fun!

I find when I ask to shoot through (they) are happy to let me go...  :archer2:  ...
"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

Offline kevsuperg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2015, 07:26:00 AM »
I say don't give in, you can change the world one archer at a time.
 I still go to mixers, going to one in two weeks.
 I shoot what where and how I want, jabs all the way from my Wheelie friends.
 Surprising how many folks will ask about trad archery as the day goes on.
USAF Medic 1982-1992
Life member BHA.
RMEF, PBS, Compton, idaho trad bow hunters

Offline Stump73

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2015, 07:53:00 AM »
There is getting to more and more trad guys and girls at our local mixed clubs every year. We try to introduce or selves and get to know them. We always invite to shoot with us.
BigJim Thunderchild 54" 52# @ 28"
BigJim Thunderchild 56" 42# @ 28"

Offline Dave Lay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2015, 07:57:00 AM »
I'm the same , I quit going to mixed shoots a few years Ago, I just couldn't deal with all the waiting and general BS you mentioned ,
Compton traditional bowhunters
PBS regular
Traditional bowhunters of Arkansas
I live to bowhunt!!!
60” Widow SAV recurve 54@28
60” Widow KBX recurve 53@27
64” DGA longbow 48@27

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2015, 08:06:00 AM »
We go to them all the time but rarely have a problem. The groups happily let you go through and we breeze along. Two weeks ago at Dillsburg, PA it was like this. Two groups let us by and were very friendly and then we just sailed through.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline northener

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2015, 08:22:00 AM »
I enjoyed the compound very much back in the day, "it's how I began archery" but Today I enjoy traditional equipment much more. Shooting Traditional equipment is soooo much more involved and challenging than meets the eye of compounders.
They just have not given traditional much thought. I am convinced if they did, there would be many more tradional bow shooters out there.

I was very fortunate to be exposed to traditional bows by several very seasoned shooters, it's what sparked my interest and am very grateful for it.
Somehow we need to get that message across, not sure how to begin doing that, but it's a archery problem that needs attention.

Need to put the arch back into archery!
Intellectuals solve problem, geniuses prevent them

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2015, 08:35:00 AM »
Yeah, I remember years ago when they started using the range finder, chair and such. The final straw for me was while waiting for what seemed to be forever on a group of them one guy opened and held an umbrella over his buddy to block the sun while he shot. That was my last mixed shoot.

Blessed with a trad only club here and if not I wouldn't go anymore. It is two different worlds.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Online Terry Lightle

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2015, 08:43:00 AM »
I am with you,Get lots of people trying to get the Nocking Point trailer at mixed shoots and we just simply will not do it.The contraption shooters just do not seem to have fun.
Terry
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member

Offline BAK

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2015, 08:55:00 AM »
Well, it's like this guys.  Both groups call it archery, but I don't see it as even close to being the same sport anymore.
"May your blood trails be short and your drags all down hill."

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2015, 09:06:00 AM »
I don't shoot mixed events any more, either. It is not that I resent the compound shooters. Rather, it just moves too slowly with all the multiple range finding, etc. The light hearted banter at the traditional events is just more socially appealing to me. There is no need to bash anybody, just go to where the most fun is.
Sam

Offline bear bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2015, 10:26:00 AM »
My daughter and I went to a local mixed yesterday. She shoots compounds so it's an every weekend thing for me. She gets just as irritated with the guys with stools, binos and all that other crap as I do. We walked off of a course for that exact reason. not much fun when you stand more than you shoot.

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2015, 10:32:00 AM »
Around here I don't have that issue. Yes there can be waits at times but if you walk up before their first shoot shoots they usually let us (if we are a small group) shoot thru.

Now I shoot with 5-10 trad shooters at a time and when that happens I understand why they may not just let us shoot thru but when it's only 2-3 of us I've never heard a No.

I have a blast at mixed shoots.

I shot one yesterday with 3 compounders I've never met. I went solo and walked up on the group and they asked if o wanted to shoot with them, they were some good guys, and we had some fun ribbing each other. I even got to break one of their nocks.

I shoot longbow /wood arrows, it was fun!!!!
JD Berry Taipan (original) 53@28 62”
Cascade mountain Brush Hawk 53@28 56”

Offline Wandering Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2015, 01:02:00 PM »
Man, stuff like this makes me appreciate that I live in an area with a good trad following. My local club is mixed, but I would say it's 50/50 if not more trad than wheels.
We also have two trad only shoots that are a weekend long each. Those are a few hours away but well worth the yearly trek.

Offline Paul/KS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2015, 01:07:00 PM »
I shot at a mixed shoot a couple weeks ago.
A young fellow with wheel bow asked if he could shoot with me. He was pleasant company and thought my "skill" with my long bow was "awesome".
(his words not mine..)   ;)  
We had a good time and maybe someday he'll make the change. Guess my point is let the other guys see how much fun we have.    :)

Offline tracker12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2015, 03:09:00 PM »
I have no problem mixing it up with the wheelies. I did it for a long time and had fun doing it.  Now I just move up and shoot my stakes and enjoy the day shooting.  It's all good.
T ZZZZ

Offline highlow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2015, 03:36:00 PM »
I get it with the range finders, but what's with the chair? Do they get so tired holding at full draw they have to sit down? School me.
Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy - Ben Franklin

Offline Mark R

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2015, 03:45:00 PM »
Wow my buds and I go to a shoot every weekend here in the Chicago area between memorial day and labor day, most are within an hours drive.Many in southern Wi..I cannot remember a problem with anyone,most archers wheelie and trad are good people.

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2015, 03:46:00 PM »
Oh, it's common to see them packing a folding stool or chair around here and often have their quiver strapped to it.  It takes those guys a long time to get around a range so a spot to sit is nice.
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©