3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bow Restoration Project  (Read 314 times)

Offline McCalC01

• Trad Bowhunter
Bow Restoration Project
« on: August 31, 2015, 10:00:00 PM »
So I'm a new member as of today   :wavey:    

Found this site because I just purchased a 1953 Bear Kodiak Static recurve which I intend to restore and I am doing my homework.  It is to be a gift for my Uncle who taught me to shoot/hunt when I was 12 (now 37) and who instilled in me a deep love and respect for the woods.  When my father dissapeared from my life after divorce when I was 4, my Uncle stepped in without hesitation.  Growing up my whole life in Michigan and hunting at our family cottage in Grayling have made Bear Bows close to his and my heart.  So now that I have explained why this restoration is so important I come to the meat of the post.  

This will be my first restoration and although I am methodical and relentless in my pursuit of doing things the right way I would very much like to hear any seasoned suggestions that you good folks who have walked this path have on the subject.  

Specifically I am in need of solving the problem. Sourcing reproduction decals or Silk Screens!

Any direction would be much appreciated   :pray:
JCM

Offline Hot Hap

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bow Restoration Project
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2015, 10:04:00 PM »
Hi there-Welcome-Hap

Offline BuckeyeGuy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2015, 10:20:00 PM »
Welcome to the gang!  Great story and sure to impress your uncle in the process.  Use the "search" feature and you will find plenty of info in the interim.  Sit tight for spell longer and plenty of others who have dealt with restorations will be along shortly to chime in.

Cya
Mike

Offline Cavscout9753

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2015, 05:40:00 AM »
Welcome! Yep, the search function will turn up a ton of useful info. Also, swing by the "bowyers bench" forum listed under the main forums. A thousand years of combined bow-working knowledge over there. Be sure to let us all know how it comes out!
ΙΧΘΥΣ

Online Tom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2015, 06:10:00 AM »
Sounds like you have a great piece of history and to give it to a man who gave himself to you makes it even more special. If you look at the history/collecting forum here you will find many articles on refinishing bows. Good luck nand have fun with the project. I've refinished bows and find it rewarding and relaxing to bring the oldies back near to their glory days. Welcome to this site and enjoy the journey.
The essence of the hunt for me is to enter nature and observe+ return safely occasionally with the gift of a life taken.

Offline Hummer3T

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2015, 09:54:00 AM »
For decals, I would get good pictures of yours (on bow now) and take to a sign shop and get them to print several out on a clear backing.
Life is about learning from your mistakes!

Chek-mate hunter I 62" riser with 60" limbs 49&42lbs@28

Samick Sage 62" 50lbs@28

Big Jim Mountain Monarch Recurve  60 inch / 50 lbs @ 28

Offline pinky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2015, 10:27:00 AM »
McCalC01, I think this link from TG is right up your alley.
 http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=14;t=006473;p=1
Good luck with your project. Maybe You could share some pics of your project along the way.
Martin Hatfeild TD (bearings)RC
Trails End     (Good Medicine) RC
Selway (Lil Shooter) LB
Aspen (Elite) LB

Public Land Hunter

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©