3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Aluminum arrows...what and why  (Read 1016 times)

Offline Fastltz

• Trad Bowhunter
Aluminum arrows...what and why
« on: August 31, 2015, 10:49:00 PM »
I have had ok luck with carbon and for some reason have never tried alum arrows. Having a long draw...30.5...I'm starting to like the idea of alum. So with a center cut recurve very thin strike plate feather rest [email protected] bow what do you recommend in aluminum? Also like to know everyone's take on alum arrows... Any draw backs?
1 Peter 3:15 ...always be ready to give a defense to anyone who asks you for a reason for the hope that is in you.

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Aluminum arrows...what and why
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2015, 12:35:00 AM »
At your draw length and poundage at least a 2216 but with center cut you could go 2219 full length. Another choice is 2315 or 2317. Disadvantages, alum arrows bend if you hit hard objects. You need a few special tools to straighten them.
To make arrows you can use wraps just get the right size. Check One Stringer for correct width.

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2015, 12:39:00 AM »
What I like about aluminum arrows is consistency.Like say a 2016 will have the same spine,diameter and GPI as any other 2016.A 400 spine carbon can have different diameters,different GPI and spine tolerances can vary somewhat depending on how much you want to pay for them.You don't really need any special tool like a high speed saw to cut them down.You can use a simple tubing cutter with aluminum.Aluminum can get bent though,carbon pretty much is either straight or broken and a lot tougher.I shoot all three,carbon and aluminum and wood.I would try for your bow like a 2216 or 2315 maybe? And usally aluminum has enough weight without all the carbon tricks like heavier inserts and heavier points.Pick an aluminum with the point weight you want and your good.

Offline bowheadhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2015, 05:16:00 AM »
What I like about aluminum arrows is consistency.Like say a 2016 will have the same spine,diameter and GPI as any other 2016.A 400 spine carbon can have different diameters,,

Right on the cost of Alum is cheaper and you can re-feather easier ,carbon nice for toughness but I get confused on carbon spines and all the different people who make carbon arrows...a 2016 is always a 2016 that the cool part to me ....
The Rock-Star of Trad-Talk

White Wolf Max P 40-55 lb adjustable longbow..

Border Harrier #53 carbon fast as A BOW CAN BE.

Offline highlow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2015, 06:08:00 AM »
The other guys have pretty much covered the pros and cons of aluminum. The big "downer" is they can be easily bent. I've hand straightened a couple with mild bends and they still shoot right on. Won't hunt with them but still good for stumping or chuck hunting. And they're cheap.
Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy - Ben Franklin

Offline COMPOUNDLESS IN CONCRETE

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2015, 06:24:00 AM »
A dozen Easton Game Getters will run you about what a 6 pack of carbons cost, unless we're talking blems from Big Jim.  In my experience an impact hard enough to bend an aluminum shaft would likely result in a broken carbon shaft.  No science to back that up, just what I've seen with my own two eyes.  

I like heavy arrows, and aluminum lets you achieve that really easily.  It's harder to build an EFOC arrow with aluminum because of the heavier GPI, but as long as my FOC is 12% or more my aluminum arrows have always shot well.
"I am the way, the truth, and the life, no man cometh to the father except by me."  John 14:6

Offline dbd870

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2015, 10:46:00 AM »
"What I like about aluminum arrows is consistency.Like say a 2016 will have the same spine,diameter and GPI as any other 2016.A 400 spine carbon can have different diameters,,

Right on the cost of Alum is cheaper and you can re-feather easier ,carbon nice for toughness but I get confused on carbon spines and all the different people who make carbon arrows...a 2016 is always a 2016 that the cool part to me ...."

"A dozen Easton Game Getters will run you about what a 6 pack of carbons cost, unless we're talking blems from Big Jim. In my experience an impact hard enough to bend an aluminum shaft would likely result in a broken carbon shaft. No science to back that up, just what I've seen with my own two eyes.

I like heavy arrows, and aluminum lets you achieve that really easily."

These cover it well. Some of it is nostalgia for me as well as that is what I shot with my recurve as a youth. Now I have started with these urges for a sharp looking wooden arrow though......
SWA Spyder

Offline SCATTERSHOT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2015, 12:28:00 PM »
Not sure what spine wooodies you shoot, but here's a chart that may help with your selection.

"Experience is a series of non - fatal mistakes."

Online Wheels2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2015, 12:35:00 PM »
If buying aluminum shaft, they are not all the same.  Same sizes and spines, but bend resisted center varies.  The best are XX78 or the Eclipse X7 shafts.  Unfortunately these are not offered in aS many sizes as XX75 or the even softer versions, Game getters or Game getter II (if you can find them)
Super Curves.....
Covert Hunter Hex9h
Morrison Max 6 ILF
Mountain Muffler strings to keep them quiet
Shoot as much weight as you can with accuracy

Offline Dave Lay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2015, 04:36:00 PM »
folks say they bend easy... ive shot aluminum for 30 plus years and I just haven't seen that, but I have always shot heavier spined stuff like 2020, 2216,2219 etc... maybe a glancing blow might do something to one but just hitting something solid usually isn't a issue for me anyway..and its easy to get a hunting weight arrow that's not full length and without adding weights and such... my current set up is a 28 1/4" 2020 with a alum adapter and zwickey delta  weighs in right arouns 615 gr...
Compton traditional bowhunters
PBS regular
Traditional bowhunters of Arkansas
I live to bowhunt!!!
60” Widow SAV recurve 54@28
60” Widow KBX recurve 53@27
64” DGA longbow 48@27

Online ronp

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2015, 04:41:00 PM »
Aluminums are my favorite.  And I have never, ever bent one ... as long as I hit the target.  But, when I hit wood, metal, frozen stumps and rocks, I've bent my share.  But I've broke my share of carbons when I miss, too.
Ron Purdy

TGMM Family of the Bow
MTB
NRA

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2015, 05:43:00 PM »
The thicker walled ones will stand up to abuse better than thin walled. I trying some 2013 for 3-D arrows so I'll find out. I used to shoot 1916s and 2016s out of 45-30# bows and they were tough enough.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline huronhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2015, 07:57:00 PM »
A 2018 or a 2216 would work.
I used to use 2216's out of my 56lb Palmer recurve.
From my 57lb Thunder Stick recurve I'm using 2018's.
I shot carbon's in the early 90s but went back to aluminum .
Guy's at my local archery shop always gives me funny looks when I get the aluminum out ,but I know they work well for me.

Offline Fastltz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2015, 10:14:00 PM »
Thanks for all the info guys. I think I'm gonna order some allum arrows this week and give them a try.
1 Peter 3:15 ...always be ready to give a defense to anyone who asks you for a reason for the hope that is in you.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©