3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: packing in question  (Read 519 times)

Online Iowabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
packing in question
« on: September 01, 2015, 12:47:00 AM »
Not sure how to pack my sleeping bag...into elk/muley camp.

I have a Stone Glacier Sky 5100 pack, Big Agnes lost ranger sleeping bag w/therma rest neo air pad, Shires Stratospire 2 tarptent, a tripod w/head and one of those crappy therma rest zlite pads for when I'm glassing.

Not sure how to pack everything. Thinking the zlite and my tent strapped to the bottom of my bag, just not sure what to do with the sleeping bag. Strap to the side maybe?

I'm thinking it will throw the balance way off. May stop into Stone Glacier one of these days after work and have the masters recommend something. 

In the meantime anybody have any ideas?
Associate PBS member NRA member DU and Pheasants Forever

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: packing in question
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2015, 03:04:00 AM »
If at all possible I like the bag inside my pack. On rare occasions that doesn't work I've put in on top in a sea to summit event compression stuff sack.

Online Daz

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2015, 10:27:00 AM »
Hmmm...5100 is a big multi day pack. Everything should fit inside (unless you are doing 10 plus days or just packing too much stuff in general).

Sleeping bag is always at the bottom (lightest weight lowest). Then pad and tent. If you don't want to carry tripod inside, use outer straps to lock it down, or hit up Kurt at SG for a spotter bag to dock on the outer lock straps.

SG makes a great rig.
Less anger, more troubleshooting...

Online Iowabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2015, 10:31:00 AM »
My sleeping bag doesn't pack down all that small unfortunately, I am sure it could fit inside my pack. I'll see if I can get some pictures rounded up this evening.

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2015, 10:44:00 AM »
A compression sack for your sleeping bag should help reduce its size.

Offline lt-m-grow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2015, 11:29:00 AM »
I too really like my sleeping bag inside.   I will sometimes strap the tent and/or sleeping pad on top and bottom, but never the sleeping bag.

Rain happens...Everything in my pack is also inside a heavy-duty/thick garbage bag.  The garbage bag is worth it for this and other purposes.

Really though, that is a big pack.  Should fit. I don't know your bag, but Big Agnes has a big following.

Online Iowabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2015, 11:49:00 AM »
nice thing about my sleeping pad is that it fits in the sleeping bag perfectly. the z-lite pad is strictly for torture/glassing purposes only as that thing is horrible to sleep on!

I'll take a look into a compression sack for my bag, any particular brand work well?

Online Iowabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2015, 12:03:00 PM »
Last time I tried to put my bag into it's "compression sack" it was like pulling teeth haha.

major struggle to get it in there, but once it was I was able to strap it to the bottom of my pack. Didn't try to get it in the pack, maybe I'll try that.

my sleeping bag is a treated down mummy bag so it's quite fluffy I guess is the word.

Offline DarkTimber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2015, 01:23:00 PM »
Originally posted by Iowabowhunter:
nice thing about my sleeping pad is that it fits in the sleeping bag perfectly. the z-lite pad is strictly for torture/glassing purposes only as that thing is horrible to sleep on!

I'll take a look into a compression sack for my bag, any particular brand work well?
I use a Granite Gear Air Compressor and really like it.   With a 15 degree down bag and a compression bag you should be able to easily fit it in your pack.

If you're just using the Z pad for glassing I'd also consider ditching that and just bringing a small pad to sit on. That's a lot of bulk to be taking when you really only need something for your butt to fit on. Thermarest sells a Z-Seat pad for $10 that I use and can fit it in the lid of my pack.

Online Iowabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2015, 06:12:00 PM »
I'll take a look @ a smaller pad, thanks for the heads up!

Online Iowabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2015, 06:21:00 PM »
Do you put the sleeping bag into a compression bag and then put it in the granite gear deal? feel free to pm/email me if that's easier

Offline Tim in Wa.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2015, 09:09:00 AM »
might take a look at Kifaru compression bags.They tend to take a long skinny shape as opposed to round like a ball.The former is easier to pack for me anyway

Offline DarkTimber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2015, 09:12:00 AM »
Jacob,

The granite gear compression sack replaces the stuff sack that came with your bag.   It is basically a stuff sack with reinforcing on each end and straps in the middle to suck it down as small as possible.

I use the extra small size but my bag is 850 fill and a much narrower cut than yours.   650 down isn't going to compress down quite as small so you may need to go a size larger.  The best thing to do is to put your bag in the factory stuff sack then measure it's dimensions.  Then buy a compression sack with similar dimensions.

Online Iowabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2015, 09:31:00 AM »
Sounds good, picked up a sea to sum mm it compression sack similar to that granite gear, haven't gotten to play with it yet but thanks for the idea!

Online Iowabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2015, 10:00:00 AM »
I was told that rather than trying to roll my bag up n then putting it in the stuff sack, it is better to literally stuff the sleeping bag unto the stuff sack, anybody heard of this?

I always rolled my bag up n then tried to jam it into the sack

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2015, 10:11:00 AM »
Just stuff it.  That's why it's called a stuff sack.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2015, 10:15:00 AM »
I have a lost ranger, and it packs pretty small. I put it in my bag FIRST toward the bottom. Worst case you can put it at the top of the bag under the top flap portion.
Oh ya don't roll it.  My dad taught me to roll it years ago, then some friends taught me better. STUFF THE SUCKER. works waaaayyyy better.

Online Iowabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2015, 10:18:00 AM »
Hence the name "stuff sack" I suppose huh!

Forgive my ignorance on this issue guys, still a backcountry newby

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2015, 10:20:00 AM »
Pm me with your cell number I'll show you 2 ways I pack it when I get home this afternoon.

Online Iowabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2015, 10:39:00 AM »
Thanks sir, PM on the way!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©