3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: kodiak mag  (Read 254 times)

Offline stack

• Trad Bowhunter
kodiak mag
« on: September 01, 2015, 12:00:00 PM »
Found a real sweet mag at a yard sale for 25 bucks. Bow is really clean, only problem is that they drilled 2 small holes in the belly side of the riser right above the shelf. Looks like they had a sight on it. There are no cracks around the holes what would be the best way to plug these. Sorry no pics.

Stack

Offline Cavscout9753

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: kodiak mag
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2015, 12:34:00 PM »
If you can upload pics I'd try the bowyers bench sub-forum. They'll have a good idea. But if the holes are clean you may find and appropriate sized small diameter dowel (not too big so that it splits the riser) and stain it to match the wood of the bow. Then use a clear-dry wood glue and glue them into the holes. Use fine sandpaper to make it all flush. May have to add some stain to even it all out. Then clear coat it all again. I like tung oil but others have different preferences.
ΙΧΘΥΣ

Offline Ken Sorg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2015, 12:56:00 PM »
I have a temujin that has holes like that. Filled them with loctite gel superglue and haven't looked back. It is what it is!

Offline stack

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2015, 01:03:00 PM »
Is there any way to color the Loctite gel green to look like the green glass that the holes are in?

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2015, 01:15:00 PM »
What I would do is drill out the hole cleanly and carefully. Cut a short dowel to fit the hole that is just short. Glue it in with Titebond II or III. Then color the end of the wooden dowel to match as best as possible to the glass color with marker or whatever you have available. Then finish off with the loc tite.

Then use 1000 grit sandpaper to smooth it by wet sanding, careful to not get into the glass or into the original finish if at all possible. Buff with auto polishing compound. Finish it off with car wax.
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline ghost rob

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2015, 11:21:00 AM »
why don't you see if any bowyers on here have pcs of glass they cut off that you could get to grind up and mix with clear epoxy to fill in the holes? then apply your finish for a close match.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©