3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Any of you using the rock climbing harnesses for bowhunting?  (Read 763 times)

Offline RedShaft

• Trad Bowhunter
Any of you using the rock climbing harnesses for bowhunting?
« on: September 01, 2015, 06:22:00 PM »
I'm about to get myself set up.
You can search some other big name forums and get all kinds of info. But here is a video that explained a little about it. Also check out some of his other videos.

If any of you ever hung in your 4 pt safety harness... You'll understand why guys are looking into these for treestand hunting. Let me know what you think. Or if you ready do and what's your set up?? Thanks.
Rough Country.. The Hunters Choice

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Any of you using the rock climbing harnesses for bowhunting?
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2015, 06:48:00 PM »
We used to hang from a waist belt strap ( me) and a full body harness ( my partner) at every bowhunter and hunter ed class we taught for several years until we had videos made.  

I for one don't see a lot of reason to change to a rock climber belt.   I don't use a climber, preferring steps up the tree, and with those in place we were NEVER unable to just get ourselves back up or back onto the steps.  A climber might be a bit trickier.

BTW, using the belt strap, over half the time I was suspended nearly upside down and could not "save" myself, needing help from the crew.  Not to mention the large probability of broken ribs if you actually "fall" or the stand collapses vs just leaning off the stand and swinging as we did.

I understand there is the potential for trauma in time, but we never saw the situation where we couldn't just turn around and re-climb.
ChuckC

Offline meathead

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2015, 07:17:00 PM »
A climbing harness is all I use these days. So light and simple.

Offline RedShaft

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2015, 07:41:00 PM »
Originally posted by meathead:
What's your set up?

Offline Bobtulowiecki

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2015, 08:09:00 PM »
I have been using a rock climbing harness the past two seasons and love the comfort and freedom of movement. I have a carabiner and climbing rope attached to the front and then lock into an eyebolt in the tree.  Make sure length of rope is short enough to prevent a long free fall but long enough to not get in the way.  Also tie a couple loose knots in the rope to act as shock absorbers.  Found the harness on a climbing closeout site and trimmed all of the accessory loops to prevent any hang ups.  Enjoy it very much as opposed to the factory ones that come with stands

Offline Hummer3T

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2015, 08:12:00 PM »
I have about 7 harnesses, but have chose to exclusively use my rock climbing harness for the last 3-4 year.  I feel safer and more comfortable, they are made not to cut off circulation plus keep you upright.  

I just watch a video of a guy falling with a chest harness on, he has such compression on his chest he cant fill his lungs and eventually cant breath.
Life is about learning from your mistakes!

Chek-mate hunter I 62" riser with 60" limbs 49&42lbs@28

Samick Sage 62" 50lbs@28

Big Jim Mountain Monarch Recurve  60 inch / 50 lbs @ 28

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2015, 08:14:00 PM »
Originally posted by meathead:
x2

A teather(climbing rope) from rock climbing harness attached to a safety line with prusic with a caribiner while climbing. Once in stand I move carabiner/teather to a line tied to tree above my head. That limits the amount I fall and can adjust length of teather. It is definitely lighter and cooler in the hot weather we hunt in here.
shoot straight shoot often

Offline Hummer3T

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2015, 08:16:00 PM »
I have a black diamond harness, I got an adjustable but a cheaper model, if were you I would make sure you get one with Pre-threaded Speed Adjust waistbelt and leg loop buckles for easy adjustment.
Life is about learning from your mistakes!

Chek-mate hunter I 62" riser with 60" limbs 49&42lbs@28

Samick Sage 62" 50lbs@28

Big Jim Mountain Monarch Recurve  60 inch / 50 lbs @ 28

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2015, 09:01:00 PM »
I bought one last year to try but didn't care for the way the straps worked so sent it back without trying.  I've been meaning to go to REI or another climbing store to look at them in person and find one that I like.  I do really like the concept.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline meathead

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2015, 09:04:00 PM »
I have a Petzl harness and attach to a safety line with a prussic hitch and caribiner like katman said.  I have swung around on that thing and tested it in about every way I can think of and feel safer in that than anything.

Offline slowbowjoe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2015, 09:24:00 PM »
I haven't yet hunted from a stand (preferring ground hunting so far). I was, though, an avid climber for several years, and spent a lot of time wearing a climbing harness ( as well as selling climbing equipment and being a licensed rock and ice climbing guide). And sometimes falling in one. Sometimes hanging in one.

There was a thread about this a few years back. I will let others who are using a harness in their stand answer your questions, but as I wrote in that earlier thread, I would choose a climbing harness without a doubt over the full body harness. Many valid reasons why.

Offline RedShaft

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2015, 11:07:00 PM »
Originally posted by Hummer3T:
I have a black diamond harness, I got an adjustable but a cheaper model, if were you I would make sure you get one with Pre-threaded Speed Adjust waistbelt and leg loop buckles for easy adjustment.
Thanks. I will look into that bi was looking at the black diamond. I think vario speed harness.
Oh thing is. I like to use it with/like a line mans harness also. If it don't have loops on the sides do you just tie off on the front?

Offline RedShaft

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2015, 11:15:00 PM »
Originally posted by slowbowjoe:
I haven't yet hunted from a stand (preferring ground hunting so far). I was, though, an avid climber for several years, and spent a lot of time wearing a climbing harness ( as well as selling climbing equipment and being a licensed rock and ice climbing guide). And sometimes falling in one. Sometimes hanging in one.

There was a thread about this a few years back. I will let others who are using a harness in their stand answer your questions, but as I wrote in that earlier thread, I would choose a climbing harness without a doubt over the full body harness. Many valid reasons why.
Can you reccomended the proper attachments and hook ups for me using this in bowhunting application?
Should I use something between me and the life line(static line)? Or just go from the harness right to it?

I also read where guys reccomend a ropeman instead of the purrsic knot.

You knowing this kind of stuff is great. If you don't mind reccomending me on getting set up properly? Thanks!

Offline Bobtulowiecki

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2015, 06:26:00 AM »

Offline ozy clint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2015, 07:28:00 AM »
so if your using a climbing harness with attachment points at the front, doesn't the restraint rope get in the way while on stand?

i have the restraint rope anchored above me head so that i don't fall any great distance.

this i why i haven't bothered to try a climbing harness yet.

for ascending and descending a vertical rope in and out of the stand it would be fine but not sure i'd like one on stand????
Thick fog slowly lifts
Jagged peaks and hairy beast
Food for soul and body.

Border black douglas recurve 70# and 58# HEX6 BB2 limbs

Offline Kevin Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2015, 07:30:00 AM »
Okay...I bought one and have used it in several hunting scenarios. I killed 3 deer and a coyote while wearing it. Mine is a Petzl Pandion. It is a very simple unit and does NOT have a padded belt or other stuff useful to rock climbers mainly. I selected it for ease of application and low profile wear. I can't find a negative to it, but it IS different to wear than the usual treestand harness. The correct attachment point is in the front and nowhere else. Don't ever use the side loops as these are intended for gear attachment primarily. They might be stout enough to hold you, but a shock-load could cause failure. The tether line (I made my own) can either be routed upward across the chest/clavicle, or perhaps laterally to the side and under the arm...then upward to the tree. The former route is safer, and I only tuck the tether under my arm when I need to for a shot. I have found the front attachment and tether to be a complete non-issue at time of the shot. Like anything else, I simply practice my moves ahead of time.

I like the fact that...if desired...I can carry the harness in my pack (it is very small) and easily step into it at the tree. I built my own tether from a length of dynamic climbing rope and a good $20 screw-gate carabiner.

I would advise anyone to not be lured by unnecessary goodies like wide padded belts, padded thigh loops, etc. Most of that is related to rock climbing and the expectation of frequently sitting suspended in the harness. You don't need that for hunting and will find that a 'less-is-more' harness blends in better with treestanding. Be sure you understand what size you'll need for late season and cold-clothing use. Don't undersize. Learn a couple correct knots for tether attachment to the tree. I forthright admit that I don't use (and probably never will) a static climbing line or any of the automatic descenders.

Offline RedShaft

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2015, 09:18:00 AM »
Kevin, great post. Thanks.
I'm not planning on it either, using a Descender. I climb with my gear. Even my hang ons are up and down that same hunt.

Offline Kevin Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2015, 09:28:00 AM »
Also...

My harness and most others do not have belts and thigh straps which unbuckle or unthread completely. All you can do is loosen them enough to step into and then pull into position before tightening. A rotund guy probably won't be liking them much. The lack of buckle-attachments is actually a plus if you fall...no buckle to fail.

Offline tracker12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2015, 11:20:00 AM »
Kevin
Did you buy the one sixe fit all Petzl Pandion of the sized one.  I have settled on the same harness.  Not sure I will stay with this system but decided to give it a try.  Plus I need a Harness for some tree trimming I need to do.
T ZZZZ

Offline Kevin Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2015, 11:32:00 AM »
tracker12

I bought a sized Pandion, though don't recall which one. I didn't know or hear of them offering a OSFA model. I just made sure to go large enough to easily slide it up over my cold weather pants or bibs.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©