3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Any of you using the rock climbing harnesses for bowhunting?  (Read 761 times)

Offline Hummer3T

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Any of you using the rock climbing harnesses for bowhunting?
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2015, 12:15:00 PM »
My harness as most only connects in the front, with this design you can sit in the harness and face what you need to while recovering.
Life is about learning from your mistakes!

Chek-mate hunter I 62" riser with 60" limbs 49&42lbs@28

Samick Sage 62" 50lbs@28

Big Jim Mountain Monarch Recurve  60 inch / 50 lbs @ 28

Offline lt-m-grow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2015, 12:21:00 PM »
Originally posted by meathead:
A climbing harness is all I use these days. So light and simple.
x 3  Switched last year and don't think I will ever go back to a hunters model.

Bought the harness last year that Kevin Dill posted earlier in the thread.  

Comfortable, light (a lot lighter than any hunter model I have used) easy to sit in - all day.  Out of the way.  

I use a long rope and gri-gri setup that tippit has posted before.  Just do a search .

I have had no issues with connecting in the front.  I simply route the tie-in at belt height, so under my left arm (I am right handed) and forget about it.  I don't notice it and I have shot 4 deer using it.  That is not a brag.  I just wanted to offer that it really is unnoticeable as you maneuver though different shot ops.

I also use the tail of the ascent/descent rope as my pull-up rope too.  One less thing to carry.

Offline Yohon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2015, 12:32:00 PM »
Been using an Alpine bod harness for 2 years now. Recommend it highly!!!
"Take the time to take your time and enjoy the trip." Mike Bolin

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2015, 02:47:00 PM »
I had never considered this route before. I have the typical hunter types (Spider, Gorrilla, etc.)and frankly, they bug me a bit.  They are bulky and have parts that can make noise. I paid 2-3 times as much for them as well compared to this rock climber harnesses.

I'm going to give this concept a try so I can remain safe with less bulk.

Another "find" thanks to this forum.
Thanks!

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2015, 05:26:00 PM »
Originally posted by meathead:
A climbing harness is all I use these days. So light and simple.
I do the same. Love having my upper body completely free.
"Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD And whose trust is the LORD. Jeremiah 17:7

"There is a way which seems right to a man,
But its end is the way of death."  Proverbs 14:12

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2015, 10:27:00 PM »
I just ordered the Alpine Bod. What do you folks use as tether from the harass front to the strap or rope around the tree?

Offline CoachBGriff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2015, 11:14:00 PM »
I've been considering this ever since I did some recreational rock-climbing in a climbing gym.  I loved the idea of not having it attached above my head.

I probably will just wait until the harness I have wears out.  Then I'll replace with a rock climber!

Good luck.
For we did not follow cleverly contrived myths when we made known to you the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ; instead, we were eyewitnesses of His majesty.
2 Peter 1:16

Offline CoachBGriff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2015, 11:16:00 PM »
Kevin - Great info!  Thanks for sharing!
For we did not follow cleverly contrived myths when we made known to you the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ; instead, we were eyewitnesses of His majesty.
2 Peter 1:16

Offline slowbowjoe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: September 02, 2015, 11:21:00 PM »
The Alpine Bod, as I recall, has no front tie in point - it is intended that you tie your anchor line ("tether") around the belt and crotch strap, with a figure 8 knot. One rope, not one to another.

A full size locking carabiner is also sometimes used , connecting belt and crotch strap, as the tie in point for your (dynamic) rope, which ties into your anchor point.

Offline Kevin Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2015, 05:58:00 AM »
Originally posted by Bowwild:
I just ordered the Alpine Bod. What do you folks use as tether from the harass front to the strap or rope around the tree?
I wish I knew the exact diameter, but I bought a new remnant piece of approx. 3/4" dynamic climbing rope from *bay. I tied a loop on the tree end which I simply whip around the tree and pass the other end through. The other end has an oval screw-gate carabiner (REI) which clips to the front attachment loop on my harness.

Some harnesses don't have an attachment loop per se, and you must tie directly to the belt or the loop which connects the belt to the thigh straps. I didn't think I'd like that as much, which did play a part in my harness choice.

I like the fact that I can pretty much add or remove upper body clothing without the hassles of an upper harness or strap going out my neck area. Guys should also be aware that rock harnesses MUST be worn relatively high...higher perhaps than your waist line. The belt should be near or above the iliac crest (big hip bone). You do this to keep the attachment point as high as possible and prevent a risk of inversion if a fall occurs.

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: September 03, 2015, 01:31:00 PM »
This is the one I just ordered. Won't be here until next week (season starts in two days).

I liked the one Kevin pictured above but this one was on a bit better sale.  Now I'm hoping I didn't complicate things because it lacks the waist loop.

I know to stay away from the gear loops as they aren't strong enough. I was thinking simply around the waist belt on either side of the buckle?  I'll study the video posted at the beginning of this thread. I'm hoping I have something in all the restraint stuff I own that can be used as the harass/tree connection.

I like the idea of this as lighter and like Kevin mentioned, not impacting my upper body clothing as much as the hunter harnesses.

Offline slowbowjoe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: September 03, 2015, 03:11:00 PM »
Roy, absolutely DO NOT tie into the waist belt alone! The harness will come with directions for proper use: be sure to read them, follow them exactly, and practice with the setup before you're up in a tree with it.

I climbed in that harness for years(still have it), as have many thousands of climbers over the years. It's stood the test of time, and extensive testing, research, and field use. It's good, and it works. You must do your part to use it as designed.

For a head start on proper use, see my previous post on this thread.

Offline Kevin Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: September 03, 2015, 03:32:00 PM »
Depending on belt width and a few fitment particulars, you might be able to snap the waist belt and the thigh strap loop into a large carabiner, thus eliminating a need to tie into them each time.

Offline Yohon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: September 03, 2015, 07:46:00 PM »
That's what I do with my Alpine, use a large biner to hook that loop to the waist belt and then my safety rope/prussic hooks to the biner. I'll see if I can get some pixs for you.

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: September 04, 2015, 08:20:00 AM »
Thanks for the advice. I will read the instructions and I just now reread your post slobowjoe. I looked at the opening video again as well. I couldn't see the hook up in the video though.

Based upon my experience with this I may be buying these  for my son and grandson so I have to get it right.

Offline Yohon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: September 04, 2015, 09:11:00 AM »
Here you go Bowwild....hope this helps some

I just hook my prussic into the locking biner and the main line goes around the tree.

Offline David M. Mathis

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: September 04, 2015, 02:29:00 PM »
I have a Black Diamond that I got last year and won't go back to my SOP. I velcroed a strong pound wise strap around the belt with loops on the end for use of a linemans belt going up the tree with my woodpecker drill.

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: September 04, 2015, 04:08:00 PM »
Ok. This is very helpful!

I think I have all these items as parts of other vest systems already which will make it easy.

Thanks

Offline tracker12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: September 04, 2015, 07:56:00 PM »
My Petzel arrived today.  Same one Kevin Uses.  Got it for 20% off and free two day shipping.  Will give it a try and see.  I needed one for some roof work and tree trimming anyway.
T ZZZZ

Offline Yohon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: September 05, 2015, 10:12:00 AM »
Just another pix I took last night while I was hunting of another option on hooking up. I have a bunch of safety straps and I put it around the tree and use another biner to hook up with a section of the HSS safety rope to the other biner on the harness.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©