3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: It Begins!!! A Mule Deer Vacation 2015  (Read 3756 times)

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: It Begins!!! A Mule Deer Vacation 2015
« Reply #120 on: September 11, 2015, 12:38:00 AM »
Always enjoy this thread the past couple years. Good luck this morning.
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline Tim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #121 on: September 11, 2015, 10:06:00 PM »
Nothing like a good climax to finish off a story!

The morning was just the same as every other, coffee at 6:00, followed by three slices of raisin bread and a glass of cranberry juice.  The only thing that we needed to set this day apart was a well placed arrow and a short drag.  

I settled into my stand with temps right around 45 and a brisk wind out of the east.  Not a great wind by any means for either of or locations, but it's all we had left to go on.

150 yards is all that separated Mark and I.  The field in front of us was endless but for some reason, every morning the deer venture across the field and somehow end up within shooting range of Mark's stand.  Something just draws them to the spot, as if they were hooked in the lip with an elk hair caddis.  

The morning started off rather quiet.  A doe here and there in the field but nothing earth shattering.  I took a few pictures of my bow to pass the time, smiling at the beauty of the juniper limbs.

Offline Tim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #122 on: September 11, 2015, 10:12:00 PM »
The first group of bucks we saw were way off in the distance.

Offline Tim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #123 on: September 11, 2015, 10:37:00 PM »
Not long after 5 does came hopping over the hill.  They'd stop and than scatter.  They were around 250 yards away when I first saw them.....as was he.  I could see his rack clearly but what I could really see was the size difference.  This was one big mule deer.

The field consists of mostly high grass with a couple green fields here and there.  The grass is high enough that you can't see the does and smaller bucks, but with the big boys, all you can see is antlers.  This was one of those cases.  

He walked into the green field proud and full of himself!

Offline Tim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #124 on: September 11, 2015, 10:43:00 PM »
The spot I was in was ok....it was kind of a what if spot.  What if they get spooked and cross the fence lower in the field?  What if Mark spooks them or they wind him and happen to come my way?  It wasn't a good spot but Mark's stand only 150 yards north of me was a totally different story.

I helped Mark hang a stand in that spot 2 years ago.  I didn't have a mule deer tag but came along to half heartidly chase elk and spend some time with a good friend.  We walked that area for a good hour bouncing what if's off each other and why here's.  For some reason this tree just spoke to me.  We hung a stand that evening and I told Mark he'd kill a deer there first thing in the morning.  An hour or two into his sit a nice 4x4 hit the ground.  What an awesome day that was!

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #125 on: September 11, 2015, 10:56:00 PM »
This has been a great read Tim, thanks for taking us along again this year.  
Now let's have that climax we've all been praying for!
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #126 on: September 11, 2015, 11:09:00 PM »
What an incredible VACATION and journey you have had so far!!!

Going to make hunting ole PA seem sorta BLAH, brother...  :)
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline Tim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #127 on: September 11, 2015, 11:12:00 PM »
Hello Joe....just waiting for someone to ask!       :biglaugh:    

As if on cue the handful of doe's, two small bucks and the big guy walked north, jumped the field fence and bee lined it to Mark.  I can't see Mark since several junipers and pines separate each of us visibly.  What I do know is exactly where he is in the field and that the deer are walking directly to him.

For a good 30 minutes nothing happened.  No spooked deer, not sounds that come with a shot and no movement of the fence.  Just silence and wind.

At one point I couldn't take it any more so I sent Mark a text message.  All I typed was this.....  ?   .......   ten minutes later he sent back.  Small buck under me, does behind me and big guy locked up at 25 yards.  No Shot!!!

I'm not sure how much time passed but I was stressing out trying to decide how Mark should mount this big guy.  If the does had spooked at least I would have know something happened.  I even had my camera in hand set on video to capture something for you guys.  But so far nothing....

Offline Tim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #128 on: September 11, 2015, 11:16:00 PM »
Than it happened!  

No big explosion of deer, not doe snorts or twangs of a string.  All I saw was this....

The entire group of deer just walking back the way the came.   Followed by a text message.  "Game over, I'm out"!

Offline Tim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #129 on: September 11, 2015, 11:25:00 PM »
Ten minutes later I heard Mark walking by my stand heading towards the house.  The big guy and his buddies were now 200 yards away slowly fading back into the high grass.

I pulled my stand, gathered my stuff and headed home, just shaking my head.  We both had opportunities this week,  "one of us" had more than others.  But no arrows where shot and no tags where punched.  Just another trip filled with good times and the pursuit of critters much better at this than us.  

Mark came out of the house as I came up the drive.  He just shook his head.  He went onto to tell me that the does and small bucks walked right up to the fence at 10 yards, jumped over and hung out.  One doe wasn't too happy with anything that was going on.  The big guy keyed in on her stood his ground for 30 minutes.  Facing head on watching every move she made.  Just as quickly as it began, it was over the doe had enough and started back the way she had came.  The buck followed,  as you can see in the picture above just as they came back into view.

What a week, what a hunt and what fantastic memories for all involved.  Thanks to those who offered encouragement along the way.  It was a grand time!

Offline elkken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #130 on: September 11, 2015, 11:44:00 PM »
Great time following this vacation/hunt ... what a wonderful week of adventure and excitement shared with friends and enjoying the great outdoors.

Thanks so much for taking us along ... the excitement is always in the hunt not the kill and this has been exciting    :thumbsup:    :jumper:    :archer2:
Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Kopper1013

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #131 on: September 11, 2015, 11:47:00 PM »
Great thread, thanks for taking us along. Better luck next time the memories are def. what this game is all about
Primitive archery gives yourself the maximum challenge while giving the animal the maximum chance to escape- G. Fred Asbell

Offline snakebit40

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #132 on: September 12, 2015, 02:34:00 AM »
:clapper:    :clapper:    :clapper:  thanks Tim! I enjoyed every second of this thread. But man, I really thought you guys were going to get a couple good bucks. Oh well, see you in 2 months!
Jon Richards

Isaiah 6:8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”.
>>>>------------>
Schafer Silvertip 71@28
Big River 60" 59@28

Online Homey88

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #133 on: September 12, 2015, 06:59:00 AM »
Great thread! Thanks for the pictures and taking us along! A lot of great memories!

Offline Hopewell Tom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #134 on: September 12, 2015, 07:46:00 AM »
Just read all 9 pages and thanking you for taking the time to share with us.
Lots of memories and future hope...?
TOM

WHAT EACH OF US DOES IS OF ULTIMATE IMPORTANCE.
Wendell Berry

Offline Jayrod

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #135 on: September 12, 2015, 07:54:00 AM »
Thanks for taking me along Tim and what a heck of a job taking pictures and keeping us tuned in on the thread I really enjoyed every minute of it almost like I was there!!  :clapper:
NRA Life member

Compton traditional bowhunter member

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #136 on: September 12, 2015, 07:56:00 AM »
Yes indeed.  Thanks so much for taking the time and effort to include all of us in your adventure.   :thumbsup:
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #137 on: September 12, 2015, 08:19:00 AM »
Sounds to me like a great week.  

Thank you for sharing your trip with us Tim.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #138 on: September 12, 2015, 08:23:00 AM »
Class Act. Classy people...great time for all us "lurkers".

Gracias!
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline ranger 3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #139 on: September 12, 2015, 08:54:00 AM »
Thanks for taking me along Tim and what a heck of a job taking pictures and keeping us tuned in on the thread I really enjoyed every minute of it almost like I was there!   :clapper:    :clapper:
X2
Black widow PLX 48@28
Black widow PSRX 48@28

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©