3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: It Begins!!! A Mule Deer Vacation 2015  (Read 3760 times)

Offline Tim

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: It Begins!!! A Mule Deer Vacation 2015
« Reply #60 on: September 07, 2015, 07:27:00 AM »
Morning Folks.....didn't sleep too well last night.   The gentleman next door has several elk and the darn bulls where bugling all night long.  Each day they seem to be getting more and more vocal.  I know.....a tough thing to listen to all night      :goldtooth:   The coyotes where also going nuts last night yipping non-stop.  

Mid-day usual brings some down time around the house.  Here's a few pictures of us shooting our bows.  Mark and I both are shooting one of Dan's Toelke's Lynx 3 piece take downs.  I was going to bring my Silvertip but I thought it would be nice to shoot the Lynx.

Mark's wife Donna also enjoys a few arrows.

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #61 on: September 07, 2015, 07:36:00 AM »
:thumbsup:  keep them coming.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Online Homey88

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #62 on: September 07, 2015, 07:46:00 AM »
Great thread! I look for this thread every morning and evening! Keep them coming!

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #63 on: September 07, 2015, 08:17:00 AM »
Great stuff bud!!!
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline elkken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #64 on: September 07, 2015, 01:10:00 PM »
Sounds like a great game of cat and mouse being played here .... keep it coming Tim    :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:

Good luck to the cats
Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Tim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #65 on: September 07, 2015, 04:47:00 PM »
An incredibly quiet morning.  We saw 2 does and one big guy.  The buck was a good 1/2 mile away on a neighboring property enjoying some peace and quiet.

This is what it looks like after three hours of nothing on stand.  Not happy....and scheming for the evening hunt.

Offline Tim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #66 on: September 07, 2015, 04:56:00 PM »
So our host and ranch owner has a good friend a few miles up the road.  He offered to take us up to this gentleman's home to "check it out".  All I can say is WOW!     :scared:

The home is on 300 acres bordering National Forest.  The home is on the very highest point over looking what seemed like the entires state of Colorado.  Sometimes pictures just don't do a place justice, this is one of the scenarios.

This is his back viewing an sitting area.  If the drop off the edge doesn't kill you the views will.  Just incredible!

The inside of the home was decorated with a lifetime of antique furniture, family photos and hunting memories.  Here are just a few photos.

Offline Tim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #67 on: September 07, 2015, 05:00:00 PM »
So here's something that will really get your pulse going.  In the center of the room was a glass table filled with the most amazing collection of arrow heads I have ever seen.  All of these where found by this gentleman.  Again, a lifetime of memories having lived in both rural Colorado and Alaska all his life.  These are only the best of the best he has found.  Simply Amazing!!!

Online Tedd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #68 on: September 07, 2015, 06:02:00 PM »
Wow. That is a lot of arrowheads. I envy that guy. What a spot. I have yet to find an arrowhead, but I will someday!
Nice photos. I'm headed to wyoming next week.
Tedd

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #69 on: September 07, 2015, 06:17:00 PM »
As if the hunting alone wasn't good enough, you get to see a native American/hunting museum at a private nature resort. Too cool.

Tim, Ive been doing landscaping around the new pool with a wheel barrow all week long in 90 degree heat after 8 to 10 hours of regular work and thinking about you on that trip is keeping my mind off the toil. Uggggggggg, gotta get back to work, the wife just tightened her grip on the bull whip. Ill check back in tonight. Good luck brother.    :knothead:

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #70 on: September 07, 2015, 08:48:00 PM »
What an amazing trip. and it is still in the early stages!  ENJOY the experience.  I am, thanks for sharing!
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline akaboomer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #71 on: September 07, 2015, 09:25:00 PM »
Beautiful images. I recognize the mountain in the background. Seeing this brings back many memories of my youth growing up in that area. I grew up in Naturita, just to the west, and attended a small congregation in Norwood. Thanks for sharing.

Chris

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #72 on: September 07, 2015, 11:08:00 PM »
Ummmm those bucks on the wall are amazing.
Loving your story man. Keep it coming.

Offline Tim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #73 on: September 07, 2015, 11:27:00 PM »
Another great evening on stand!  Not as far as big bucks go but the overall experience.  I got on stand rather early, since we had seen a few deer coming into the alfalfa out in front of the house.

It amazes me how many things we see as hunters that we so often take for granted.  What I had happen tonight was just incredible.  I'm in a cedar tree that doesn't have much cover.  There is a second cedar in back of me that I can almost reach out and touch....maybe 4 feet away.  I was standing up looking east half a sleep from the sun on my back.  I heard the bird land and immediately start screeching.  I peaked around my tree to find a beautiful Sharp Shin Hawk not 4 feet away.   I fully expected him to fly....not let me pull out my camera, film him for a minute and take several pictures.  The sun was bright and the video came out just ok.  I did however get several pictures, here's one of my favorites.

Not long after I had a doe walk up the trail towards me.  I could hear her coming as she bleated ever other step.  All of a sudden I hear the undeniable "mule deer hop"!  Pretty cool to hear and see a mom call in her young one.  The yearling just about knocked mom over trying to feed.

And the third event of the night was the opportunity to see a beautiful non-typical 2x2!  This guy came in on a mission, grunting every now and than and looking for the ladies.....if he could find one that liked his hat!  I'm not sure what he got himself into but it looks like it's going to stay with him awhile.

Offline Tim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #74 on: September 07, 2015, 11:31:00 PM »
Here's a couple other pictures from the evening.

Offline Tim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #75 on: September 07, 2015, 11:35:00 PM »
Yeah Matt.....the guy had a few sheep, a moose, several elk, a bear and a few other critters.  The mule deer with the dark, tight and high rack is what held my attention.  Such a unique animal.  

The arrow head collection was just incredible Tedd.  The gentleman was an excavator by profession so I'm sure he was in the right place at the right time to find several of them.   Good luck in Wyoming my friend!  Hope to see a nice post from you.

Offline ANick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #76 on: September 08, 2015, 01:58:00 AM »
^^^  Dark rack.  Aye.  

Sweet adventure you have going, lots of cake.

Just need a little icing to top it off.   :)

G'luck and thanks for taking us along.

Offline Fritz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #77 on: September 08, 2015, 09:02:00 AM »
Great pics, Tim! Keep at em!
God is good, all the time!!!

Offline snakebit40

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #78 on: September 08, 2015, 09:35:00 AM »
Thanks for the updates Tim! I'm with you on the dark, tight and high racked buck. Very cool. Good luck this morning!   :campfire:
Jon Richards

Isaiah 6:8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”.
>>>>------------>
Schafer Silvertip 71@28
Big River 60" 59@28

Offline fmscan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #79 on: September 08, 2015, 01:17:00 PM »
Loved the Hawk picture, hard to believe he let you get the camera out... thank you for sharing with us...

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©