3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Who Changes During Season?  (Read 699 times)

Offline highlow

• Trad Bowhunter
Who Changes During Season?
« on: September 03, 2015, 10:03:00 AM »
In the last year and a half, I've become not only
addicted to trad archery but obsessed. As a result I've acquired a diverse collection of both recurves and longbows. I truly enjoy shooting each and every one. As a result, I plan on rotating the "bow of the day" on a regular basis. Can't see any reason not to or else I would have decided on a favorite and shed the rest. I will of course practice with the "next" one before replacing the other as they don't all shoot the same. Just wondering if any of you who have a plural collection do the same or do you make a pre-season choice and stick with it?
Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy - Ben Franklin

Offline kevsuperg

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Who Changes During Season?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2015, 10:07:00 AM »
I go with the flow, I'll be using a bear recurve or HH longbow.  I'll probably shoot the recurve more tho.
 Only have one week to hunt this year as i make my move to idaho . stopping in Minnesota the first week of October to chase some corn fed bucks.
USAF Medic 1982-1992
Life member BHA.
RMEF, PBS, Compton, idaho trad bow hunters

Offline Dave Lay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2015, 10:13:00 AM »
i will normally pick the bow with the least kills or one with something special about it, and start the season and stay with it until it kills,      (not harvests)then make a decision to swap up or not.. some bows just have that something to them as does my PSA widow, every shot at game with it has resulted in a kill, with that said im gonna start out with my longbow this year and see how it goes... with a 5 month bow season here, there is time for that
Compton traditional bowhunters
PBS regular
Traditional bowhunters of Arkansas
I live to bowhunt!!!
60” Widow SAV recurve 54@28
60” Widow KBX recurve 53@27
64” DGA longbow 48@27

Offline Kris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2015, 11:19:00 AM »
I change it up all the time but as the season goes on here in Wisconsin, I usually drop down in weight as it is harder to draw a heavier bow when one is "stiff" and cold.

Kris

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2015, 11:44:00 AM »
I like to shoot most of the bows I own from January thru August... Then I'll stick with just one throughout the hunting season...  :archer2:  ...
"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2015, 11:48:00 AM »
I pick a bow off the rack that best fits the stand I'm hunting that particular day, shorter bow for tighter quarters, longer bow for still hunting, etc.  Like Kris, I also drop downing weight as the season progresses.  It's not unusual for me to hunt with a different bow in the afternoon than I used in the morning.  My bows are pretty close in weight and shoot close to the same gpp, so there's not much variation in arrow flight, particularly inside of 20 yards.  Have fun.

Offline RedShaft

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2015, 12:31:00 PM »
I do. But mine is drastic. Well drastic for you guys.
Traditional to modern and sometimes to extreme modern.

But I have went between long and recurve. No problem
Rough Country.. The Hunters Choice

Offline warpedarrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2015, 12:36:00 PM »
Practice with one bow, hunt with the same bow.  There is a lot to be said for familiarity.

I have over fifty bows and will pull one off the rack that I haven't ever shot or haven't for awhile and go cast a few arrows with it.  Some of them are real good shooters and others are just o.k. but are part of the collection because of what they are.  But, the collecting is for fun and the hunting is for food so I try not to mix it up.
Brad Lehmann

Offline dbd870

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2015, 12:39:00 PM »
Originally posted by mcgroundstalker:
I like to shoot most of the bows I own from January thru August... Then I'll stick with just one throughout the hunting season...   :archer2:   ...
About what I do; it takes me a bit get back into the groove with a particular bow.
SWA Spyder

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2015, 01:17:00 PM »
I change too, primarily if I get tired of looking at one hanging on a peg. I will also change if travel is involved and I want to take a bow with a more durable finish.

The arrow/broadhead combination dictates most of what I do all season. I don't like to switch arrows so that limits me somewhat regarding which bows to hunt.

For instance, my arrow of choice this deer season will be the Easton FMJ Deep Six Injexion with 155 grain single bevel helix. This combo shoots well from my Blacktail Sitka, Trad Tech Titan II, and Strickland Stick. It is too stiff for a couple other favorite bows.

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2015, 03:34:00 PM »
I will be using my new JD Berry ambidextrous no shelf Pluto when I am still hunting and not sure where I am going to park it for the day, I am staying on the ground. As the season progresses and patterns adjust to crops, rut and other hunters, I may use either a left or right hand bow that matches the situation when I have a particular spot in mind.  Being ambidextrous and a can split image aim helps, but I still try to get a few shots in before I make any changes, but oddly I can shoot one quiver full with the new bow left and then the next one right with no loss of first arrow accuracy out to 20 to 24 yards.  The one benefit is that all of my bows will shoot the same arrows.

Online katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2015, 05:29:00 PM »
Mostly grab the longbow but have a double bull in a special place and the shorter static recurve is best out of it for this year.

2 years ago in three consecutive sits killed 3 hogs with 3 different bows, friday pm, saturday am and saturday pm. Lots of pork to deal with.

All my keeper bows shoot to the same place and speed. Takes a while to fiddle with shafts, point weight and tune but that is what off season is for.
shoot straight shoot often

Offline kat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2015, 06:13:00 PM »
Originally posted by mcgroundstalker:
I like to shoot most of the bows I own from January thru August... Then I'll stick with just one throughout the hunting season...   :archer2:   ...
X2. I switch to my hunting bow of choice, a month before the season starts, and stick with it throughout the season.  

Speaking strictly for myself; I want the shot to be as automatic as possible, and that means familiarity.
Ken Thornhill

Offline Keith Zimmerman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2015, 09:07:00 PM »
I change hourly.  Too many bows. Or not enough days in the season.

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2015, 09:13:00 PM »
I have a couple that I will be using during the season. Another that is on order will be used if it arrives in time.
Sam

« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2015, 09:14:00 PM »
I own a few bows, but only practice and hunt with one. I do occasionally take one of the others out for a hunt once in a while, and I wont keep a bow that I have not hunted with. But even so, I have one bow I love so much, that it is "the one" 99.9% of the time.

Bisch

Offline Thumper Dunker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2015, 01:07:00 AM »
I'm hunting something all year long. I change all the time. Shoot one bow in the morning then another in the after noon sometimes. Have seven that shoot about the same ,had them for a long time so I know what they do. I do practice with them all the time.
You can hop but you can't hide.
If it was not for rabbits I would never get a buck.
Yip yipahooooo yipyipyip.

Offline Cavscout9753

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2015, 07:00:00 AM »
I'm not good enough to change it up after a certain point in the practice season. I shoot my others in the off season from time to time just to get a different feel.
ΙΧΘΥΣ

Offline rscornutt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2015, 06:33:00 PM »
I use my Red Stag recurve for bunny busting (40#@28"), and one of my longbows for deer and hogs. Whichever longbow I pick will be what I use that season.

Offline tracker12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2015, 07:42:00 PM »
I shoot all my bows during the year but come uniting season I set all but one aside and hunt one bow.  I may pull out my old bear Kodiak Hunter for some doe culling but thats about it.
T ZZZZ

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©