3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: McBroom bows: Any thoughts?  (Read 593 times)

Offline NBK

• Trad Bowhunter
McBroom bows: Any thoughts?
« on: September 03, 2015, 11:27:00 AM »
Anyone have any feedback they'd like to share about McBroom bows, particularly the string follow model?
I appreciate the aesthetics of a classic longbow so next question would be, "how does it shoot?" !   :)
Mike

"I belong anywhere but in between"

Offline Russ Clagett

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: McBroom bows: Any thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2015, 01:35:00 PM »
I will be following this closely....looking at these bows and am very impressed by what I see...

Can't say about the shooting characteristics but the workmanship looks great...

Offline Producer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2015, 03:02:00 PM »
I own a 66" string follow 55lb at 28". I have shot several other of his bows. I would say they are a very good value. As you know they are a  Hill style bow and I have a Big Five and it equales it in everyway. Well maybe my McBroom is better looking because I have some beautiful veneers on mine but it is crafted beautifully and performs better than I am capable of shooting. hope that helps!
What gives me wings? Flying with my arrows over and over again. And never giving up...For giving up means not believing...

Offline Russ Clagett

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2015, 04:47:00 PM »
That's pretty much what I'm about to buy pretty soon...could you put up some pix?

Offline meatCKR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2015, 09:45:00 PM »
Brian makes a hell of a Bow!  I recently bought a 58 Mojo recurve from him and this thing is built like a Sherman Tank!  When I first got, I was not sure if I was going to like the grip cause it was pretty thick and I have smaller hands, but the fuller grip is really growing on me and I am starting to shoot more accurately with it. The recurve tips are semi-static and very powerful.This bow is 54# @ 28" and is launching my Easton Axis Trads like rockets.
All Ziricote riser, Bamboo limbs and I love the green glass.  Just Outstanding!

You may want to contact Ben Maher. He should have a pic or two of a string follow to show you.

Good Luck!

Steve
"Leave it as it is. You can not improve on it. The ages have been
at work on it, and man can only mar it."
- Theodore Roosevelt upon seeing the Grand Canyon.

Offline PistolPete

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2015, 10:05:00 PM »
I should have one of his string follow's in my hands in a week or 2. Looking forward to it!

Offline jhk1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2015, 10:24:00 PM »
I bought one of Brian's stock bows a month ago, and really like it.  It's a 69" 45#@28" string-follow model with action-boo limbs and brown glass.  Limbs are trapped to the back.  I'm drawing it 30", so it's 51# at my draw.

The bow is very well made, and the finish (satin Thunderbird epoxy finish) is very nice.  Very quiet, and no or very little thump at the shot.  I'm impressed with the cast-- I haven't chrono-ed the bow, but it seems to be as fast as a couple of mild reflex-deflex longbows of similar length and draw weight that I've got.  I'm shooting 490-grain 2016 aluminum arrows (31" BOP, 125 gr field tips) and it puts them right where I look.

I've got several Hill-style longbows (Howard Hill, Northern Mist, 7 Lakes, and others), and my McBroom is as well-made and finished as any of them.  Brian makes a great bow for a very reasonable price.

Offline Russ Clagett

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2015, 07:51:00 AM »
You have a very nice recurve there....

Offline Bowtie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2015, 09:00:00 AM »
I spent some time with Brian at Denton Hill in July (camped next to us).  Although I didn't shoot one of his string follow models, I did look them over closely.  He makes a solid, well made bow at an attractive price!  Brian would be a great guy to deal with.
The work praises the man.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©