3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: short brim hats?  (Read 877 times)

Offline rod251

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: short brim hats?
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2015, 07:19:00 PM »
Originally posted by reddogge:
I can't believe a whole thread about short brim winter hats and someone didn't mention Stormy Kromer. I don't have one but other seem to love them.
I bought my first kromer last season and I love it. Can't break it out till a little later here in Louisiana but it's worth every penny and seems like it'll outlast me.

Offline NIGEL01

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2015, 08:05:00 PM »
I like the old winona wool Ridgerunner.  A place in California   makes them now.

Offline PowDuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2015, 04:56:00 PM »
I've got the TradGang short brim cap with wire bill. I like it BUT that sucker is HOT! May have to add a couple vent grommets to each side. Really comfortable and the wire bends back for string clearance well.
Romans 8:28

Offline Michael Salter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2015, 05:26:00 PM »
Yup, love my Stormy Kromer when the cold winds blow. Otherwise it is either a black crusher or a heavily modified camo boonie hat. I also have a watch cap with a short brim (like Radar used to wear on the old MASH tv show) that works really well.

And an Asbell wool scarf to keep my neck warm. Much more functional (for me) than a turtleneck.
"The trouble with normal is it only gets worse." Bruce Cockburn

60" Bear 'Black Bear' recurve @ 50lbs
60" PSE 'Stalker' take-down recurve @ 45lbs

Offline MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2015, 06:24:00 PM »
Regarding the wire brim:

When I was in the Army in 1972, a sergeant showed me that with a piece of wire (I think it came from a C ration case) you could thread the wire into and around the brim of boonie hats.

I think you could do that with about any hat.
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Offline tom cunningham

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2015, 01:11:00 PM »
There is another thread on Tilly hats. On mine for warm days I move the draw string to the top and cinch, holding both side brims up. This still give shade but the now more narrow front stays clear of the string.

Offline JR Williams

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2015, 02:33:00 PM »
So I have been using a couple of hats while hunting the last several years....wool cycling hats! I have one that is plain wool, and the other one has fold down ear warmers, they are warm and the brim is short, and soft so there is no interference with the string even if it touches. I got mine from a woman in Oregon who hand makes them, here name is Randi.

If you search for randi wool cycling caps she will pop up. There are several other places where you can get them. But I liked that these were handmade and I could pick the color (green), she also embroidered an arrowhead on them for me. Just wanted to pass on as these have been great bowhunting hats.
God Bless

Numunuu

Offline Recurve7

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2015, 03:18:00 PM »
Women like shoes......Men likes hats, at least some do!
I'm one of those that do. I have SEVERAL hats and no caps. There is a difference.
As for hunting I have felt fedoras with a 2.5" brim, Stetson crushable wool with a 3.5" brim. Tilley ( I believe a T3 ) make a good hat also.  I prefer the Stetson crushable most of the time. The 3.5" brim give me more protection , and the soft pliable brim is easily pushed away with string contact. My favorite fedora style is the " Banjo Patterson ". A little pricey for a hunting hat though. The higher quality western hats have brims that are two stiff, and interfere with your string unless your shooting a short axle compound bow. Caps are good for golfing, ball and activities to keep the sun out of your eyes. Hats help protect you from adverse weather.  Did I say I was a hat guy?   :)

Offline Paul Cousineau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2015, 10:24:00 PM »
You can't beat a stormy kromer! Made is the USA.
The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feast on the riches of the hunt. -Proverbs 12:27

Offline Hawkeye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: September 08, 2015, 11:30:00 AM »
The warmest/handiest hat I've ever found is the Stormy Kromer short-billed version... which they had "wisely" discontinued just before I discovered them.

I managed to track down three to purchase over the course of a couple months as the supply dried up, but I'd love to have one more in the camo. I have written several times asking Stormy to bring them back, to no avail.  Great for bowhunting and casual wear.  I also bought a regular Kromer, but cannot get bowstring clearance with it.

If you ever chance across one somewhere, be sure you check it out.
Daryl Harding
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose."  Jim Elliot

Traditional bowhunting is often a game of seconds... and inches!

Offline creekwood

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2015, 04:35:00 PM »
Originally posted by Whip:
For cold weather the best by far is Two Tracks Coup Cap.  If it's not too warm they have fleece models as well.  But for really warm weather I like a light weight bucket style hat.
After reading this thread, I went to the Two Tracks web site and ordered one of the coups caps.  I have to say that I am more than happy with the cap they sent me.  High quality and the fit is perfect and it appears that it will be warm, comfy and easy to shoot with.  Thanks Two Tracks!

Offline wasapt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: November 22, 2015, 10:27:00 AM »
The "Nocking Point"  sells them
bryce olson

Offline JD Page 1965

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: November 22, 2015, 04:44:00 PM »
With sharpened scissors all caps can have a short brim.
Assenheimer 62" 56 @ 28
Silvertip 60" 53 @ 28

Offline AK0tA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: December 15, 2015, 01:46:00 PM »
I love the Jones style hat but can not find then in canvas any longer, They are all out of goretex and do not lay right as the fold in the back is weird and open.
Train up a child in the way that He should go Proverbs 22:6

Offline Burnsie

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: December 15, 2015, 02:57:00 PM »
Tradgang sponsor - Classic Sportsman has a nice short billed Bowmens hat.  Similar to a Kromer.  Been going to pull the trigger on one for awhile now.
"You can't get into a bar fight if you don't go to the bar" (Grandma was pretty wise)

Offline LC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: December 15, 2015, 03:51:00 PM »
Ok so I went to sponsor list and don't see a Two Tracks! Someone have a link?
Most people get rich by making more money than they have needs, me, I just reduced my needs!

Offline sheepdogreno

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: December 15, 2015, 08:27:00 PM »
Underarmour makes a small brimmed fleece beenie type hat just saw them on Amazon yesterday
I'd rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6

Tradtech Titan 2 is my go to platform

Offline Alexander Traditional

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: December 15, 2015, 08:37:00 PM »
Originally posted by LC:
Ok so I went to sponsor list and don't see a Two Tracks! Someone have a link?
I have one of the original coups fleece caps and really like it.

http://www.twotracksbow.com/store/

Offline Burnsie

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: December 16, 2015, 09:11:00 AM »
Originally posted by sheepdogreno:
Underarmour makes a small brimmed fleece beenie type hat just saw them on Amazon yesterday
First Lite does too.
"You can't get into a bar fight if you don't go to the bar" (Grandma was pretty wise)

Offline Steve Jr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: December 16, 2015, 12:49:00 PM »
You could also try the Classic Bowmen hats they have a short brim and the ear flaps fold up inside. I have one and its my favorite hat.They are like the Stormy Kromer. Yep like Burnsie said     :knothead:
Steve Jr

Stalker Coyote FXT LB 58" & 48#@26"
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©