3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: So I decided on aluminum arrows...a few ?  (Read 561 times)

Offline Fastltz

• Trad Bowhunter
So I decided on aluminum arrows...a few ?
« on: September 04, 2015, 08:34:00 PM »
I had asked earlier about arrows and everyone's favorites. I ended up getting 2315 and I love them...anyone who hasn't tried aluminum needs to give them a try...anyway I'm using hot melt for the inserts until I am baresfated and trimed...after that what do you all use to glue in the inserts? I am using glue in glue on inserts. Any other tips for aluminum that you've gleaned over the years?
1 Peter 3:15 ...always be ready to give a defense to anyone who asks you for a reason for the hope that is in you.

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: So I decided on aluminum arrows...a few ?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2015, 08:44:00 PM »
I still use hot melt for the final installation of inserts.I don't really care for the amber Ferr-l-lite,it's quick and easy but just too brittle in my opinion.I use Saunder's hot melt or Easton's hot melt or the white colored hot melt sticks that 3Rivers sells.

Online Archie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2015, 09:58:00 PM »
Here's one tip, from my experience...

I started out using a countersink drill bit  with my fingers, to de-burr the shafts after I cut them with a small pipe cutter.  This was terrible, it resulted in a ramp on the inside edges of the shafts that facilitates the insert being jammed into the shaft on a hard impact, blowing out the shaft.  Now I use a little jig I made up, and use my Dremel tool to cut the shafts.  This keeps from creating a burr in the first place.
Life is a whole lot easier when you just plow around the stump.

2006  64" Black Widow PMA
2009  66" Black Widow PLX
2023  56" Cascade Archery Whitetail Hawk
2023  52" Cascade Archery Golden Hawk Magnum

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2015, 10:09:00 PM »
I use the brown stick hot melt from Black Widow. I clean out the shaft with acetone. Before I got a cutoff saw I used an hobby saw with fine tooth blade to cut alum. Also I use Saunders NPV glue to fletch to bare alum.

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2015, 11:55:00 AM »
Fletching tape...try to find some Easton Grand Slams...they are discontinued but there are still some out there for sale

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2015, 11:57:00 AM »
And if you want a more durable arrow in the same (340) spine as a 2315 you could go with 2219

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2015, 10:21:00 AM »
Quick Stick hot melt glue from Big Jim's Bow Company is the only glue you should ever need for inserts for any arrow!

Also, if you are planning on staying with aluminum arrows, you might want to look into buying an Arizona Arrow straightener. They are a bit pricey, but will pay for themselves easy, as you are making arrows that you would have trashed shootable again.

Bisch

Offline TOEJAMMER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2015, 11:44:00 AM »
Apple hot melt.

Offline Dave Lay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2015, 12:14:00 PM »
I use hot melt sticks by 3m used for floor trim install's for the inserts and broadhead /adapter im sure its probably the same as a lot of the better glues. I deburr a cut shaft with a old snuffer broadhead works great. Aluminum in my opinion is the simplest most consistent, and in the long run cheapest shaft.. ive been shooting em for 40 years with woodies mixed in..
    I like a vinyl reflective wrap then use 3-5" shield cut with fletch tite.. a 28 1/4" 2020 makes a nice 615 gr arrow.
Compton traditional bowhunters
PBS regular
Traditional bowhunters of Arkansas
I live to bowhunt!!!
60” Widow SAV recurve 54@28
60” Widow KBX recurve 53@27
64” DGA longbow 48@27

Offline flinter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2015, 12:43:00 AM »
Hot melt and fletching tape for me also

Offline Jakeemt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2015, 11:44:00 AM »
What Archie said can be true however, if you go slow with your little pipe cutter it will make a nice clean cut with no concave ends. also aluminum sway a lot more than carbons so there should be no need to front load them.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©