3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Fletching preference: 2, 3, 4? Shape? Size?  (Read 998 times)

Offline Nativestranger

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Fletching preference: 2, 3, 4? Shape? Size?
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2015, 07:45:00 PM »
I have tested 2 fletch feathers on one arrow in the past. It's 4" shield on GT 1535. It flew just as well as my other arrows. I don't have feathers contact issues with my 3 fletch at that time. But it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that a 2 fletch oriented with the bottom feather pointing away from the riser will clear the shelf better than a 3 fletch with the bottom right hen feather pointing towards the riser. I am gonna try 2 fletch again when I build my 4 stumping arrows. Now the only question is how well they would fly with broadheads.
Instinctive gapper.

Offline Ulysseys

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2015, 07:46:00 PM »
3 5.5" shield cuts...more fletch than I need but the spin going down range is amazing and I can see them so well.
Type inspirational or witty quote here

Offline drewsbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2015, 08:00:00 PM »
4, 4" shield   x2
Try to be the person your dog thinks you are :0)
TGMM Family of the Bow
N.Y. Bowhunters member
BigJim 3 pc buffalo 48@28
BigJim thunderchild 55@31
BigJim thunderchild 55@32 Jim's bow

Online smokin joe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2015, 09:16:00 PM »
3 - 5" shield
Or 3 - 4" of my own custom cut that I call "the delta dart"

I like three fletch. It is enough to do the job and enough for me to see the arrow flight pretty well.
TGMM
Compton
PBS
Trad Gang Hall of Fame

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2015, 09:56:00 AM »
On a well tuned arrow it doesn't really matter.I did a few years ago on a dozen arrows,I fletched 3 with 3-4",4-",3-5" and 4-5" feathers.They all fly great and grouped together at 20 yds.They may not have the same trajectory when shooting 30 and 40 yds,but at hunting distances made no difference.I used to shoot larger feathers when I shot wood arrows like 3-5.5" and 5.5" banana feathers but my favorite has become 4-4" parabolic and shield with all my newly fletched arrows.I have tuned arrows with 2" Blazer vanes for an ILF.I feel tuning an arrow is more important then the size or number of feathers you choose.

Offline Earl Jeff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2015, 05:26:00 PM »
4 4inch shielded

Offline Stump73

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2015, 07:34:00 PM »
3 4inch shield
BigJim Thunderchild 54" 52# @ 28"
BigJim Thunderchild 56" 42# @ 28"

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2015, 07:53:00 PM »
I have tried countless combinations for this fall's moose hunt, and the best performer for me has been the "MV" fletch.  4 feathers fletched at 90°.

685 grain finished weight (225 grain Tuffhead w/ 75 grain titanium adapter) giving me 12 gpp.  I've found the more FOC and proper tuning, the less fletching is needed.

Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Offline Mud_Slide_Slim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2015, 08:01:00 PM »
Did the 2 fletch on my carbons last season...they flew just fine.  But since then, I have gone all wood.  The batch I have made for this season all have 4x5" fletching.  I won't be taking any shot over 20 yards...more like 10-15yds.  That close, I want my arrow flying as straight as possible as quickly as possible.

Bill-
Luke 10:18-20
>>>---------->

Offline Green

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2015, 09:51:00 AM »
I've played with 2 fletch off/on for the last couple of years.  I shoot nothing but wood.  They do fine on species like POC and Sitka Spruce that recover from paradox pretty quickly.  The heavier woods like Ash seem to need that third feather for me.  Haven't tried it on Doug Fir.
ASL's, Selfbows, and Wood Arra's
Just because you are passionate about something, doesn't mean you don't suck at it.

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: September 07, 2015, 10:02:00 AM »
Three five inch is my preference.  I have played around with four four inch, but did not see enough difference in flight to warrant changing.  

Parabolic MAY be a little quieter than shield, but hard for me to tell.  For some  reason I like the look of shield fletch a little better.
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Offline Nativestranger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: September 07, 2015, 11:04:00 AM »
I agree that the heavier your shaft the more fletching it needs. For medium weight carbon shafts 8 gpi and below. 3x3" or 2x4" works well. Wood and aluminum shafts will need more.
Instinctive gapper.

Offline md126

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: September 07, 2015, 05:11:00 PM »
I've tried them all and found little difference between 3 and 4 fletch and between 4 and 5" feathers

I've had bad results with 2 fletch and see no advantage

Offline hunting badger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: September 08, 2015, 02:09:00 AM »
I shoot 4, 4 inch shields, 60/120 degree, I do so for one reason and that is I get better fletch clearance off the shelf. I shoot woodies and have all my life. I shot 3 fletch for many years but I fought the self clearance issue until I switched to my current setup.

Offline Jwilliam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: September 08, 2015, 04:51:00 AM »
3, 5"shield

Bill

Offline Anointed Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: September 08, 2015, 08:42:00 AM »
Like many here I have tried both 3 and 4 fletch, then while at a local trad shoot a friend of mine showed up with 2 Flecthings on his arrows and they flew awesome. I have switched my aluminums and carbons to two fletch but I left my mircoflights 3 fletch.

For God was in Christ, reconciling the world to himself, no longer counting people’s sins against them. And he gave us this wonderful message of reconciliation.

Offline trasher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: September 08, 2015, 08:49:00 AM »
I use 3x4" parabolic on all my Bezaleels.
I've tried 2 fletches it also works well, but that hurts my eyes.    :)

Also tried 4 fletches but for me that's overdosed!
Trying to get the bow a part of me!

Offline SlowTurtle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: October 09, 2015, 10:49:00 PM »
After reading some about two fletch feathers, I decided to give it a try. Had a four fletch flu-flu that lost one feather...stripped another one off it and it seems to fly great (haven't check to see how far it now flies though). Put another two fletch arrow together and so far so good.

As a side note; I got my hands on some 2" feathers that are being used today. Figuring three 4" feathers gives you 12" of drag, I put 6 of these one two of my arrows and so far really like the way they are flying.
Larry
--------
Yeshua said to him, “I am the way, the truth, and the life! No one comes to the Father except through Me. Jn14:6 (TLV)
---------------------------------------------
Iowa Bowhunters Assoc
Sequoia  LB 68" 55#
Slick Stick 58" 50#

Offline jmar595

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: October 10, 2015, 11:28:00 AM »
Just going from what I've read from others, but the Ashby reports talk about the smallest fletch you can get away with while still having good performance and stabilization of the broached is what is needed. I haven't seen the two fletch much, but did see some fletching at my local archery store with eight and six fletch. It was fletched normally then had a smaller set in-between the larger. It made for a wicked looking arrow. It would be cool to see a two fletch this was with a smaller set (actually making it a four).
"Let yourself go with the arrow and the trip will never cease to amaze you."   Me

Offline Green

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: October 10, 2015, 01:08:00 PM »
I was stumping with friends yesterday with my two fletched arrows.  One of my arrows took a slice from someone else's and removed the middle 2/3rds of the quills from one banana feather.  The arrow continued to shoot just fine at all distances for the remainder of the time. YMMV, but if your tune's pretty good........
ASL's, Selfbows, and Wood Arra's
Just because you are passionate about something, doesn't mean you don't suck at it.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©