3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Thinking about trying carbons  (Read 657 times)

Offline Crittergetter

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
Thinking about trying carbons
« on: September 06, 2015, 01:36:00 PM »
Why? Well, why not?! When I started shooting trad about 3 years ago I started with woodies and have shot them exclusively. I enjoyed making them and thought I was being more "traditional". I now wish to broaden my narrow mind and try something new. Looking for something that will take some abuse without costing an arm and a leg?  Anyone use the blems from Big Jim? Also need some spine recommendations. All my bows are within a pound or 2 of 50# at my draw length.
An elitist mentality creates discord, even among the elite!
"I went jackalope hunting but all I saw was does!"
Luck is when preparedness meets opportunity, I just need more opportunities!

Offline 9 Shocks

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Thinking about trying carbons
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2015, 02:01:00 PM »
I use the blems.  They work great.  If you draw 50 or so around 28"s I'd go with a .500 spine.  But your draw length will have a lot to do with it.
60” Bear Mag Takedown 47@28
58” Schafer Silvertip recurve 47@27
58" Primaltech Longbow 48@28

Offline Producer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2015, 02:19:00 PM »
I do not want to offend anyone but I think alluminums are the best option. After seeing pics of carbons blowing up and all kinds of fragments penetrating arms and hands I always was a little nervous shooting them. There would have to be some damage that was done for the preformentioned incidents to happen but I do not want to have to keep checking for cracks and chips all the time. I nock my Easton Gamegetters and I don't worry about a thing. Alluminums are a better option if you use hot melt to change heads or inserts. I know many people do it with carbons but it is not recomended and it can cause damage to the carbons. Alluminums are heavier and it is very easy to get 9 grains or more per pound without heavy inserts, heads or weights. You can straighten alluminums if they bend which with carbons if they receive that much stress they just break. That being said, I shoot the same four arrows for practice every day and I have not bent them. That included mis-hits on a 3-D desert range that has shattered several of my carbons. Lastly you will have to spend more money to equale the quality and performance of an aluminum arrow. I can't find any feature of a carbon that will outweigh all the benefits of Easton Alluminums.
What gives me wings? Flying with my arrows over and over again. And never giving up...For giving up means not believing...

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2015, 02:39:00 PM »
I've found Big Jim's blems to be almost indestructible unless you do a direct hit on a rock or steel. You can whang them off of trees or ricochet them off of foam deer's backs and they never break.

You could go with either .500 if cut around the 28" mark or the .400 cut longer with heavier points.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline Recurve7

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2015, 03:20:00 PM »
WHAT.....CARBON?  
Never, my hypocrisy only goes so far!  Lol
Actually I shoot more aluminum now than cedar. I considered carbon, but I do lots of stump shooting and I don't like the thoughts of splinters in my arm. I agree with producer on this one.

Offline taxyman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2015, 03:30:00 PM »
Have to agree with Producer!    :D
Bear's Paw Classic    50&55# 62"
Blacktail Elite VL    50# 64"
Blacktail Elite VL    53# 62"
Dakota Pro Hunter     50# 64"
Stalker Wolverine FXT 50# 64"
Predator Classic   46&51# 62"
Zipper ILF Hunter     51#
Wapiti T/D 45&50# 62"

Offline bulldog18

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2015, 03:44:00 PM »
Nothing wrong with carbons. Been shooting the Blems for years with no issues. Just check them regularly. Been using Big Jim's hot melt glue with them. No problems with the shaft or adhesion. I have shot carbons for years in compound and now in traditional. Never had one blow up. Have damaged a few. As with aluminums you should check them I have had some develop splits in the shaft. Had one explode when I released it. Determined it was a thin area in the shaft that gave way. Either shaft has its own set of problems that can go wrong. But with preventive maintenance most issues can be avoided.
Howard Hill Red Hawk 68" 46@28
Howard Hill Big 5, 68" 50@28
Bamabows Tribute 68" 60@28
St. Patricks Lake Mushin Styk 45@28
Black Widow PSA 60" 46@28
Black Widow PL 47@28
St. Patrick’s Lake Northern Styk 68” 44@28

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2015, 03:58:00 PM »
IMO if you foot those carbons with at least an inch of alum shaft you will lose more than you will ever break. IME the carbons I have broke happened when I hit a log, rock with a glancing hit. If you plan on "stump shooting" I would foot the nock end as well.
I am not knocking alum arrows, I am heavily vested in them as well. I still think it is easier to tune alum than carbon arrows.

Online Possum Head

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2015, 04:12:00 PM »
Hands down carbon is the most economical shaft material available. No not at the time of purchase but shortly thereafter. For those that shoot as much as I do wood breaks and aluminum bends more often than carbon fails. For the sake of comparison lets say a dozen cedars cost 30 bucks and a dozen carbons cost 60. Well the carbon cost you twice as much but without losing them will probable last you 4 times as long provided you dish out the punishment I do. That said, just for hunting I can see the practicality of wood as a matter of fact I've been entertaining the idea of buying a set as they just appeal to the traditional in me. Aluminums are great shooters and I cut my teeth on Autumn Orange.

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2015, 04:18:00 PM »
Ah geeze, crittergetter...     :knothead:  

Mad at you son..    :)

Offline Crittergetter

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2015, 05:13:00 PM »
I just said I was thinking about it Roy! Don't go having a melt down!   :laughing:

Offline Stump73

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2015, 06:27:00 PM »
Can't go wrong with the gt blems that BigJim sells.
BigJim Thunderchild 54" 52# @ 28"
BigJim Thunderchild 56" 42# @ 28"

Offline BigJim

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2015, 05:52:00 PM »
Critter getter, what kind of question is that? "Does anyone use blems from BiJim?"

You know they do. Last year we sold 4275 dz of them and this year, we are over 3/4 s of the way to that mumber. Since my customer base is likely 99.8% trad, I'm sure one or two guys here are shooting them.
To make a proper suggestion, I would have to know the following: your draw length, cut depth of sight window, and aproximately what weight arrow you would like to end up with.
500 spine most likely though.
Bigjim
http://www.bigjimsbowcompany.com/      
I just try to live my life in a way that would have made my father proud.

Offline hawkeye n pa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2015, 06:31:00 PM »
I shot aluminum's for thirty plus years and would never consider carbon.  Well about 3 years ago I tried carbons. What a pain to get set up with them. And I've broke 5 so far. But they have been far more durable than I ever dreamed of. It's a beautiful thing to go stump shooting through the trees pick them up, flex them and shoot again! I probably totalled around a dozen and a half of aluminum's a year before.

On your stump arrows use either a collar or arrow shaft to reinforce shaft behind the blunt. Throw a couple extra nocks in your pocket and off you go.

I'm money ahead the only down side for me is the metal detector doesn't work as well with them.
Jeff
>>>>---------->
Fear of the Lord is the beginning of Wisdom.

Offline Brandon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2015, 06:35:00 PM »
Love carbons...especially since you can run them through a pig more than once.

I was ruining too many aluminums, made the switch and never looked back!

Offline Crittergetter

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2015, 08:46:00 PM »
Originally posted by BigJim:
Critter getter, what kind of question is that? "Does anyone use blems from BiJim?"

You know they do. Last year we sold 4275 dz of them and this year, we are over 3/4 s of the way to that mumber. Since my customer base is likely 99.8% trad, I'm sure one or two guys here are shooting them.
To make a proper suggestion, I would have to know the following: your draw length, cut depth of sight window, and aproximately what weight arrow you would like to end up with.
500 spine most likely though.
Bigjim
Big Jim, your the one who put the idea of carbons in my head during one of our phone conversations. Never even considered it before then. Just wanted to see what people had to say about them. I've been looking at them on your web site. I'll make up my mind in a day or so. When I do I may give you a call with a couple questions.
Thx for all the input guys!

« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2015, 09:57:00 PM »
Carbons suck! Go back to your woodies, and send me those SilverFlames in the mail!    :goldtooth:    :goldtooth:    :goldtooth:    

Bisch

Offline Yewbender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2015, 05:01:00 PM »
Gota love good wood!!! If you want arrows that can take abuse check out the arrows Kevin Forrester offers, he has some heavy dense hardwoods that will hold up better then carbon or aluminum shafts.

Offline kevsuperg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2015, 05:34:00 PM »
Big Jim's blems are all I shoot lately,i have many many dzs.
 29" 5575 (400) 285 gr point, with my 50#@28 super grizzly( from big Jim's also) currently.
 Blems are great
USAF Medic 1982-1992
Life member BHA.
RMEF, PBS, Compton, idaho trad bow hunters

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2015, 01:38:00 AM »
I shoot carbon, carbon aluminum, aluminum and wood...they all have their place in the archery world...I have broken arrows of every description...if you are going to worry about breaking a few arrows maybe it is time to stick to shooting targets indoors...I count every broken arrow as a great learning experience

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©