3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Oh so close!!  (Read 379 times)

Offline flinter

• Trad Bowhunter
Oh so close!!
« on: September 06, 2015, 06:10:00 PM »
This week I've been hunting Roosevelt elk on the north coast of Oregon. I wanted to share Tuesday evenings hunt with you guys. The week started slow with no elk spotted the first two days, then Monday evening I got busted by 7 cows and calves. Tuesday evening I was about 3 miles in on a walk-in road when I heard a bull bugle a few hundred yards away, here we go!! I slowly hiked up the logging road trying to spot the bull when he crossed the road up ahead a couple of hundred yards, Darn, he was just a spike. I am hunting in a 3 pt or antlerless area. As I get up to where he crossed there is a clearcut with about 10 elk in it, Things are looking up! There are two nice 5 point bulls that start fighting. I've seen many bulls spar a little but these two guys were really going at it. There isn't much I can do but enjoy the show, no way to stalk in the open cut with all those eyes. After about 10 minutes the cows started to feed out of the cut leaving the bulls alone to their battle. Now's my chance, every time they went at it I slipped closer, I got to about 150 yards, when they just quit fighting and followed the cows up the road. I followed as quietly as I could. Both bulls stepped just inside the brush and started fighting again, here I go nothing to lose now!! I got to 15 yards and knelt down and waited! 15 YARDS I can't believe I'm so close, I can see the brush moving, hear them breathing, horns clanking together! Any second I know one is going to be pushed in front of me, My Northern Mist Classic is shaking a little, not sure why, A razor sharp Woodsman is waiting to be called to action, several minutes the action continues, then like so many times before I feel a slight breeze on my neck an it's over in seconds. Elk are crashing away, gone! Even though no arrows were shot, this is one of the highlights of a lifetime of elk hunting for me, hopefully I'll have another post with pictures before the seasons over. Thanks for reading.

Offline Stump73

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Oh so close!!
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2015, 06:18:00 PM »
Man that was a exciting read. Thank you.
BigJim Thunderchild 54" 52# @ 28"
BigJim Thunderchild 56" 42# @ 28"

Offline maxwell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2015, 06:32:00 PM »
Sounds like a good time, keep at it.

Offline Mud_Slide_Slim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2015, 07:50:00 PM »
Good on ya for putting in a great effort.  Everything you had control over, you handled well.  The wind is sometimes your friend...sometimes not.  Roosevelt elk is a dream hunt for me.  Keep at it.  I would really like to read a part 2 of this story.  One with an elk on the ground.  Good luck.

Bill-
Luke 10:18-20
>>>---------->

Offline Caughtandhobble

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2015, 08:22:00 PM »
Wow, now that's exciting.   :archer:

Offline KyStickbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2015, 08:29:00 PM »
Sounds exciting!
Aim small...Miss small!!

Offline arrowbuster

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2015, 09:31:00 PM »
Awesome hunt, its not always about the kill. I can feel your adrenaline pumping just with your story. Id say you wont soon forget that one.
AH ACS CX 60" 53@28
PITTSLEY PREDATOR 60" 56@28
CASCADE BRUSH HAWK 56" 49@28

Offline CoachBGriff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2015, 09:31:00 PM »
Sweet!  My favorite whitetail hunt memory had no shot... just 3 different bucks coming crashing in to the sound of rattling.  Sometimes those are the most heart-pounding!
For we did not follow cleverly contrived myths when we made known to you the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ; instead, we were eyewitnesses of His majesty.
2 Peter 1:16

Online Basinboy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2015, 09:46:00 PM »
Great hunt! Thanks for sharing it with us  :)
Primal Tech Longbow 42#@26” 62” amo
Palmer Longbow 43#@26" 62" amo
Zona T/D Recurve 48@26" 58" amo
Osage Selfbow 38#@26” 64” amo

PBS Associate Member
Compton Member

Offline Cavscout9753

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2015, 10:12:00 PM »
Awesome hunt!
ΙΧΘΥΣ

Offline Burnsie

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2015, 10:29:00 PM »
Way cool
"You can't get into a bar fight if you don't go to the bar" (Grandma was pretty wise)

« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2015, 11:06:00 PM »
That sounds like an awesome experience! While getting a shot is always cool, it is not always necessary to make the hunt a success.

Good luck for the rest of the season!

Bisch

Offline jwhitetail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2015, 01:20:00 PM »
Wow!  Exciting and really what its all about with Trad gear... getting close enough to hear em breathing!  Get back out there and good luck getting after them!
3 JD Berry Duo-Flex long bows
A pile of JD Berry ASL bows
2 JD Berry "OE" Long Bows

A Coyote ran accross the road, on the move without a home...
T. Petty

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2015, 09:00:00 PM »
Sounds fanastic to me, congratulations on a great hunt
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©