3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Finding my way back  (Read 502 times)

Offline High Desert Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Finding my way back
« on: September 08, 2015, 02:45:00 PM »
After lingering shoulder pain forced me to put my bow down 7 years ago, I am beginning the slow process of working my way back to shooting.  I am still shooting a Martin-Hatfield that I bought new back in 1996, it is rated 60# @ 28", I pull 27".  I am trying not to over do it, and I am having fun.  Bought some new Douglas Fir shafts and materials to go with the new Bitzenberger Fletcher I bought early last year when I was going to start shooting again, but didn't.  It certainly isn't like riding a bike, but it is part of my process of simplifying my life, and getting back to enjoying the things that I find relaxing and yet still useful.  I may end up having to drop down in draw weight, thinking I may eventually try to find a used bow that will get me to 50# at my draw weight.  Been doing a lot of reading on here of late, and have drug out some old Traditional Bowhunting Magazines as well. Still think there is nothing more magical than the flight of an arrow.

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Finding my way back
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2015, 02:52:00 PM »
Do yourself and your shoulder a favor and get a 50 lb bow.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline A.S.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2015, 03:02:00 PM »
Originally posted by KentuckyTJ:
Do yourself and your shoulder a favor and get a 50 lb bow.
Dittos!  Your body will thank you down the road.

Offline highlow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2015, 03:19:00 PM »
X3. Why would you start your comeback from shoulder pain, which forced you to give up shooting, with the same weight bow you were shooting when the pain started? If it were I, a 35#er would be the starting point. Why risk the same problem? That, and the fact that you're now seven years older. Just my opinion.
Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy - Ben Franklin

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2015, 03:55:00 PM »
I'm sure happy to see you making a comeback!  But I would have to agree with the others. Find a lighter bow to do it with.  I'll go in between the others and suggest something like 40-45# as perfect.  Not nearly the stress on your shoulders,  yet still plenty to hunt with for most game.

Welcome back!
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline macbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2015, 04:10:00 PM »
I'm just now trying to rehab. Bought a 43 pound bow from Mike Dunnaway at Wildhorse Creek.

I can shoot it well as long as I stay away from shooting too many arrows in a,session.

You were thinking 50#. Might suggest 47# the three pounds is big on continuing your quest.
United Bowhunters of Mo
Comptons
PBS
NRA
VET
"A man shares his Buffalo". Ed Pitchkites

Online fisherick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2015, 05:25:00 PM »
I shoot a 43-45# bow all year round and hunt whitetails with it. When I hunt elk I change limbs to 54#. Buy a bow with extra limbs.

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2015, 05:37:00 PM »
If you stay with the heavy bow, you have a lot of very careful work ahead. I would second the advice of these guys suggesting a lighter bow. I had an injury 6 years ago that made it tough to handle my 65 pound bow. I can now shoot it all right but do much better with the lighter bows I have become accustomed to. Don't take the chance of further aggravating your injury with the heavy bow.
Sam

Offline slowbowjoe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2015, 06:09:00 PM »
I agree with everyone about dropping to 50# at the most, and 40-45 might be better. If you're considering a good, affordable used bow, there are many in the classifieds. And Big Jim's has several in that range at very modest prices.

I shoot at or around 45#, and have no reservations about it being adequate for anything from deer, and down, in size.

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2015, 08:56:00 PM »
Make straight the crooked path travelled.

Protect yourself and the continued enjoyment of the traditional may be permitted to burn and the consistent harvest of game may prove to be routine.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2015, 09:25:00 PM »
Thank you all, very sound advice!  Right now I am limited on finances, and so I am shooting 1/4 the arrows I would have in the past. Been shooting for 2 weeks now, and other than some muscle soreness,  I am good. I am going to drop down in poundage,  and not just for practice,  I think that the time has come to just shoot a lighter bow. I am a deer and elk hunter for the most part, and I am confident that I don't need a heavy bow to keep hunting. For now, I will keep the sessions short, and keep up with the shoulder exercises.  Thank you again.

Offline Cavscout9753

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2015, 08:52:00 AM »
I just got back from spending sone involuntary time in the alamogordo area. I was not permitted to have my bow with me, but while I spent days wandering around in the "chia pet" desert mounds I couldn't help but to curse all the rabbits running around. Were I to live there I think I would make a full time sport out of chasing them around with a low poundage bow and some light, zippy arrows.
  Deer and elk can and do regularly drop from some reasonably light bows. Were it me, I would drop the weight and invest my time and efforts into some good front heavy arrows and never look back. I shoot 60# now, but I'm 33 and lift weights every day. Im also no fool, one day 60# will be too much to enjoy, and I will accept that and go lighter. I'll say this, I'll shoot a 30# bow before I give it up. Good luck!
ΙΧΘΥΣ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2015, 02:14:00 PM »
Borrowed my Son's 45# Bear Grizzly and did some shooting today, despite having the incorrect spine, arrows flew true, definitely easier to maintain form.  I did however notice something disconcerting, my anchor point that I am getting the best accuracy at, has shortened my draw even more, I am tucking the knuckle of my thumb into the hollow of my cheek, fingers don't quite touch my mouth.  I am really on mark with this anchor point, but instead of drawing 27", I feel like I am drawing closer to 26".  I did fling 8 arrows with the Martin before ending the session.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2015, 02:15:00 PM »
CavScout, that must have been a very warm trip, I'm guessing you were playing on the Ft. Bliss Range complex.

Online David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2015, 02:38:00 PM »
Originally posted by High Desert Hunter:
Borrowed my Son's 45# Bear Grizzly and did some shooting today, despite having the incorrect spine, arrows flew true, definitely easier to maintain form.  I did however notice something disconcerting, my anchor point that I am getting the best accuracy at, has shortened my draw even more, I am tucking the knuckle of my thumb into the hollow of my cheek, fingers don't quite touch my mouth.  I am really on mark with this anchor point, but instead of drawing 27", I feel like I am drawing closer to 26".  I did fling 8 arrows with the Martin before ending the session.
Nothing at all wrong with that--lots of guys on here draw 25-26 inches.  I have a friend who has a 25" draw, shoots bows in the low to mid-40s at his draw, and has killed all kinds of animals.  I totally agree with the others above who recommend dropping bow weight.  Due to age and past shoulder issues I now shoot 44-45#.  Your shoulders will thank you.
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline JD Page 1965

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2015, 02:39:00 PM »
Hang the 60 on the wall.
Assenheimer 62" 56 @ 28
Silvertip 60" 53 @ 28

Offline AZ_Longbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2015, 04:00:00 PM »
I may have a martin r/d longbow in the mid to low 50#. No reason to destroy a shoulder. I could send it to you. Use it till you don't need to anymore and pass it on to some one else in need.
"There's only two things an arrow wants to do, it wants to fly and it wants to hit its target. It's in its very nature. Don't over think it."

Offline AZ_Longbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2015, 06:09:00 PM »
Martin l100 55lb at 28 inches may still be to heavy?
"There's only two things an arrow wants to do, it wants to fly and it wants to hit its target. It's in its very nature. Don't over think it."

Offline Cavscout9753

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2015, 06:41:00 PM »
High Desert, it wasn't bad. I was there in May so it was quite comfortable. I did get a chance to see an Oryx (gemsbok), which I didn't know were even in the US.  Kind of crazy to see!
  Thats great news on the grizzly! 45#, even with an inch short draw, ain't no slouch of a bow. Another thing I was thinking of, I'm not sure how many different bows you can get your hands on, but I do find some bows are more gentle on my body than others. I attribute it mostly to the different grips, but I imagine even how the limbs load up plays a part. The straighter the grip, the more heel of my hand I can lower into it  and it seems to be a more agreeable pressure on my body as a whole. Perhaps see how many bows in the 40#'s you can try and find a grip and limb style that suits you and then go digging around for one like it.
ΙΧΘΥΣ

Online varmint101

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2015, 06:46:00 PM »
Awesome you've been able to get back!  The suggestions on a lighter setup are valid.  

Might I throw out when funds allow a possible ILF or DAS bow?  The ability to switch up or down with different limbs is endless.  Several bowyers make ILF wooden risers now also that are stunning if you don't like metal risers.  Myself I own a DAS Dalaa and enjoy it's shooting.  I got it for the ability to change limb weights, lengths, grips, or styles much cheaper than if I were to buy separate sets of limbs for a custom.
Bless The Lord, O My Soul!

Member:
Indiana Bowhunter Association
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©