3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: weed whacker line for arrow weight - HELP  (Read 860 times)

Online BigJim

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: weed whacker line for arrow weight - HELP
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2015, 09:05:00 PM »
What ever makes you happy, but one of the biggest advantages of carbon arrows is that they are relatively light for their spine. This allows us to weight up the tip and obtain superior flight and penetration...and not have to listen to rattling arrows all the way down range.

With out having anything custom made, you can achieve as much as 600g up front and maybe even more, not that is necessary.

100g brass inserts can be backed by 50 g weight screw adapters for as far as you like and then points or broadheads out to 300g.
Contrary to popular beliefe, adding excessive front weight won't jump you up several spines. At most one spine if you can't shorten the shaft enough to accommodate.

Or fill them with weed eater line.
BigJim
http://www.bigjimsbowcompany.com/      
I just try to live my life in a way that would have made my father proud.

Online smokin joe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2015, 11:24:00 AM »
Thanks everyone. I know I could add weight up front, but the back of the broad head is getting pretty close to my bow hand, so I may need to find another way to add 50 or 100 grains that won't make it necessary to shorten the shaft too much.

So, tomorrow I will try these options:
1. Add more weight up front, and see how much I have to trim off of the shafts to stay in tune. I like this option the best, but I will be getting close to not having enough shaft left to work with -- we shall see. I weighed all of the components to do this and it results in a total arrow weight that I like.

2. Add 50 or 100 grains of cord inside the shaft. I know that parachute cord is very quiet.

3. Break down and buy heavier mass weight shafts. I would rather not spend the money if I don't have to.    :confused:  

I'll post a report of the results of the experiment.

Again, thanks everyone for the feedback and input.

:wavey:
TGMM
Compton
PBS
Trad Gang Hall of Fame

Online BigJim

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2015, 06:17:00 PM »
It is unlikely you will have to cut for 50g, but 100g maybe.
If you have standard inserts in, you can replace with the longer 50 or 100g inserts (if they are gold tip). The longer insert will stiffen up a bit.
Adding front weight shouldn't require major cutting.
bigjim
http://www.bigjimsbowcompany.com/      
I just try to live my life in a way that would have made my father proud.

Offline sheepdogreno

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2015, 10:50:00 PM »
Played around with this filling the shaft concept tonight. I used some paracord I had lying around and I've increased my arrow weight 95grains. I'll shoot em tomorrow and see how they fly. This is mainly an experiment and for another reason to play with bows and arrows lol
I'd rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6

Tradtech Titan 2 is my go to platform

Online smokin joe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2015, 03:21:00 PM »
DONE.... SUCCESS....I now have a hog arrow I really like.

I managed to cook up an arrow that is the weight I want for hog hunting (over 600 gr) and I did it all by adding weight to the front end and carefully cutting the length of the shaft.

The arrow is a 340 Warrior with a 125 glue-in-glue-on brass insert and 160 gr. VPA 3-blade head and a 3-Rivers carbon collar. I also used an 8.5" wrap, three 5" feathers, a glue-in-glue-on aluminum nock adapter and a Bohning Classic nock.

The FOC calculates at 24%. It flies like a laser beam.

And I didn't have to alter the tune on my bow, so my 515 gr. whitetail arrows still hit where I look and get to the target in a big hurry.

Thanks everyone for sharing your thoughts and experience. This was a fun project.
TGMM
Compton
PBS
Trad Gang Hall of Fame

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2015, 05:00:00 PM »
Congratulations, Joe!!!

Way to persevere and get what you want that flies the way you like!!  

Having 2 varied weight and FOC arrows shooting to same POI is really cool!    :bigsmyl:
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©