3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Back quiver design help  (Read 356 times)

Offline Wandering Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
Back quiver design help
« on: September 09, 2015, 10:43:00 AM »
I focus more on carving than I do equipment design, so I'm looking for opinions on the proper way to construct a hill style back quiver.

I'm sure opinions and experiences very, so please give your reasoning behind your answers so I can best determine which advice best suits my needs.

This is a project for myself because I would like to give it one more honest try. I made a back quiver before but didn't like using it because it had some design flaws. I've since found out that it's better to have a thinner leather so it collapses on the arrows. Dumping all my arrows was a big pet peeve with the back quiver I made.
Other than that, I think most of the my  problems have to do with the shoulder strap.

So here is my question, what are the best attachment points for the strap?

A problem I have with my quiver are two fold:
 1. it likes to slide around under my armpit of my bow arm.
2. It falls/rolls away from my shoulder, making it difficult to get to the arrows, and sometimes I even have problems with it wanting to slide off my shoulder.

I want the top of my quiver to stay tight against the top of my back(behind my ear), and I would like the option to pull it under my bow arm, but I don't want it to do that on it's own.

My quiver is attached slightly off center at the top and at the very bottom against the side that faces me. It seems that I should be attaching the bottom of the strap to the side of the quiver and the top of the strap to the middle of the top of the quiver. But, how far down the quiver should the bottom of the strap be attached? It seems I've seen them attached to the bottom of the quiver as well as 1/4 way up the quiver. None of the tutorials I've found seem to address the exact placement of the shoulder strap.

And for those of you interested in the details of the build, I'm going to give it a rabbit fur trim and straps so I can roll up my hunting gear in my pullover and attach it to the back of the quiver as a makeshift backpack.(I'm also interested in your opinions on this. Would that create too much weight for the quiver to function properly?) This is secondary though.

Offline two4hooking

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Back quiver design help
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2015, 11:14:00 AM »
Sounds like you need to adjust the quiver a little tighter.  It should slide but not freely.

I actually like thicker heavier leather but I break it in well so it collapses easily.

Check out this info. on my blog.  It should help answer a few questions and give you some food for thought.

I have been known to put an occasional grouse or squirrel in my quiver, but using it as a backpack would defeat some of the mobility in the system for me.

http://traditionalknowhow.blogspot.com/2014/03/hunting-with-back-quiver.html

Offline Dorado

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2015, 12:50:00 PM »
Here's one that Bud B. made. I made one following his guide and it turned out great.
   Back Quiver build along
Here's the one that I made. With some modifications

The strap attaches at the top in the middle of the back just below where the leather overlaps. It attaches at the bottom with lacing on the side. It does have a small tendency to slide down my back a bit but I just push up on the bottom with my bow hand and it moves where I need it. That doesn't happen much though it usually stays where I want it to. I'm able to slide it under my bow arm if needed and it holds my arrows very well. I'm able to bend over and pick something up off the ground without dumping my arrows.
Samick Sage 35#
Bear Polar 59#@29

Offline Gordon Jabben

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2015, 11:13:00 PM »
Nick I use a back quiver for all my hunting and I want the leather just thick enough to hold its shape.  Looking at the back of the quiver, I like the strap attached to the top right side and the bottom left side for a right hand person. This way the arrow nocks will be easy to reach and they will still be low enough to stay out of limbs and such.  Here is the only picture I could find the quiver I have used for many years.

Online DesertDude

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2015, 01:25:00 AM »
Pm sent
DesertDude >>>----->

US Navy (Retired)
1978-1998

Offline Wandering Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2015, 01:12:00 PM »
Thanks for the info guys.

Dorado: I'm planning to use that build along as my main resource, thanks.

DesertDude: I'll try to remember to get to your PM after work today.

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2015, 06:47:00 PM »
I wonder if the one strap will give you the needed support for hanging extra gear off the quiver? It also seems to me hanging gear will make the quiver want to move the arrows away from your reach.

Offline Wandering Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2015, 09:30:00 PM »
Originally posted by M60gunner:
I wonder if the one strap will give you the needed support for hanging extra gear off the quiver? It also seems to me hanging gear will make the quiver want to move the arrows away from your reach.
Yeah, I have the same concerns. It'll be an experiment, and will be removable. We'll see I guess.

Offline Jock Whisky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2015, 10:59:00 PM »
When all else failed I tied a hook to the bottom of the strap with leather lace. I adjusted it so it hooks to my belt or a belt loop and holds the top of the quiver exactly where I want it. The hook is large enuf that it slips off the belt easily if I want to pull the quiver under my bow arm when the going gets brushy. Works for me, maybe for you.
Old doesn't start until you hit three figures...and then it's negotiable

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2015, 11:08:00 PM »
I have other guys about my same height try my back quiver and had a lot of the same difficulties.  Even tightening or loosening the strap was not the answer.  When they got their own identical quiver, the longer length original HHA quiver, they had problems at first but as the quiver broke in the problems went away, but mine was still difficult to use for them.  I think that mine was broken in to conform to my back and shoulder size and shape. I have had back quivers that required me to  change the location of the top holes a little bit to get the hanging angle that I was accustomed to.  It is a nearly one size fits all, but things may need to be tailored for the individual a little bit here and there.

Offline Dorado

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2015, 10:58:00 AM »
Originally posted by M60gunner:
I added that pocket to the outside of mine. I really don't have a big problem with the extra weight. I don't know if it' because the quiver has formed to my back or what. It does slide down just a little bit but only where I'm not grabbing the arrows where I want to.
I keep a few things in that pocket. A compass, 3 225gr broadheads, about a half dozen 225gn blunts, a stringer, spare string, spare tab, string wax, and I'll add whatever I need for the day. The weight really isn't much issue. I hardly noticed the difference.
If your wanting to add a bunch of larger items, then you might need to anchor it in some fashion. Such as what Jock Whisky said. An extra strap going down to his belt.
Samick Sage 35#
Bear Polar 59#@29

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©