3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Arrow shelf question  (Read 323 times)

Offline stikbow

• Trad Bowhunter
Arrow shelf question
« on: September 09, 2015, 06:14:00 PM »
I was recently given an older Pearson recurve.   I love the bow.. it shoots right where I am looking.  

My issue is this.. the arrow shelf is flat and is wearing put my fletchings something fierce.   I dont like to shoot with a stick on ot a flipper rest.

Would it be possible to make a small radius by carving a piece of wood and glueing it on the shelf?  Just to give my fletchings some clearance.

Have any of you done this? Did it affect performance?  Seems like it should work and I can keep the arrow down close to my hand.. and maybe save my fletchings. Lol

All feedback appreciated..

Ps.. I'm shooting wood arrows if that makes a difference. ..
Don't ask for an easier life; ask to be a stronger person.

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
Re: Arrow shelf question
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2015, 06:37:00 PM »
No need to reshape the existing shelf by filing on it or adding a piece of wood to it.  Put a small piece of leather or other material under the arrow shelf material to make a bump, which will give the arrow more clearance with the shelf.  If you're getting a lot of shelf and feather wear, might also consider raising your nock point.

Offline Cavscout9753

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2015, 06:44:00 PM »
^ I've done this on more bows than not. Works excellent. I use a heavy leather sliver. Just lift up your shelf material and slide under and glue down. Presto. Your arrow is now passing over a very minimal surface plane.
ΙΧΘΥΣ

Offline stikbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2015, 06:49:00 PM »
Thanks guys.. I  appreciate the responses.

Offline Producer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2015, 07:34:00 PM »
That would be a perfect candidate for a feather rest. That should solve your problem and give you better flight and more accuracy as well as less wear of the fletching.
What gives me wings? Flying with my arrows over and over again. And never giving up...For giving up means not believing...

Offline stikbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2015, 08:10:00 PM »
I have never used a feather rest... dhow do they work in the rain?  How long do they last?

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2015, 01:25:00 AM »
I have original featherrests that are 55 years old...and what is this thing people have with bowhunting in rain...I question the ethics of anyone who will shoot an animal that needs to be bloodtrailed when it is raining

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline Stump73

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2015, 05:56:00 AM »
Slide leather under rest x2. Rieht above the deepest part of grip.
BigJim Thunderchild 54" 52# @ 28"
BigJim Thunderchild 56" 42# @ 28"

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2015, 10:08:00 PM »
I agree that the feather rest is a great option for that bow. Increased forgiveness/accuracy and they are amazingly tough. I've got one that's going on ten years old and hardly shows any wear.

Never had any problem with rain either. I can always find a way to keep it fairly dry and treat it with waterproofer as well. Not fond of hunting in the rain anyway.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2015, 11:46:00 PM »
here is a simple elevated rest i just used a couple pieces of rubber and velcro over it on an ILF rig. Good in all weather too.

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2015, 12:11:00 AM »
STIKBOW,

PM your address to me and I'll send you a feather rest.  I'll need to know if you are a Righty or Lefty. After a 1000 shots or so report back  here on Tradgang how it held up.  

Also note the wear on your arrow fletching when you start shooting off the feather rest and how worn they are after a 1000 shots or so.

Put it to the test and answer the same 2 questions that many others have had.  

Trap
"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Offline highlow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2015, 07:15:00 AM »
You guys who live and hunt in western WA or OR must never get to hunt what with all the rain you get.   :laughing:
Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy - Ben Franklin

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©