3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 5X7 WY BULL, rest of the story on 6 and 7  (Read 3557 times)

Offline LONGSTYKES

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: 5X7 WY BULL, rest of the story on 6 and 7
« Reply #80 on: September 11, 2015, 08:42:00 AM »
Great bull, congrats.
" The History of the Bow and Arrow is the History of Mankind " Fred Bear

TGMM Family of The Bow
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #81 on: September 11, 2015, 08:43:00 AM »
Oh man nice job!! Great story so far, looking forward to the rest...

Offline champ38

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #82 on: September 11, 2015, 08:53:00 AM »
Congrats .. Nice bull !
56" Shrew Classic Carbon 68@29
58" 2-P Centaur Cabon Elite 57@29

Offline wooddamon1

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #83 on: September 11, 2015, 09:01:00 AM »
:thumbsup:     :thumbsup:    :campfire:
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind..."-Fred Bear

Offline twitchstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #84 on: September 11, 2015, 09:23:00 AM »
Congrats!

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #85 on: September 11, 2015, 09:38:00 AM »
awesome bull, tuned in!
"Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD And whose trust is the LORD. Jeremiah 17:7

"There is a way which seems right to a man,
But its end is the way of death."  Proverbs 14:12

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #86 on: September 11, 2015, 09:53:00 AM »
Congrats on a fine bull...   :thumbsup:    :notworthy:
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline taxyman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #87 on: September 11, 2015, 10:07:00 AM »
Nice Bull! Congratulations!    :thumbsup:    :clapper:
Bear's Paw Classic    50&55# 62"
Blacktail Elite VL    50# 64"
Blacktail Elite VL    53# 62"
Dakota Pro Hunter     50# 64"
Stalker Wolverine FXT 50# 64"
Predator Classic   46&51# 62"
Zipper ILF Hunter     51#
Wapiti T/D 45&50# 62"

Offline Earl Jeff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #88 on: September 11, 2015, 01:23:00 PM »
Awesome!!!!!!!!

Offline joe ashton

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #89 on: September 12, 2015, 09:01:00 AM »
that is a nice bull.!
Joe Ashton,D.C.
 pronghorn long bow  54#
 black widow long bow 55#
 21 century long bow 55#
 big horn recurve  58#

Offline Whitetail Addict

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #90 on: September 12, 2015, 10:11:00 AM »
Congrats on a beautiful bull!!! I enjoyed reading your last post, and I'm looking forward to hearing the details.  :thumbsup:  

Bob

Offline Owlgrowler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #91 on: September 12, 2015, 12:40:00 PM »
Been dealing with truck u-joints and heat and meat, but, didn't lose an ounce of meat and it looks and smells great. yahoo!

Last Sat. the 5th I came in from my hunt and once again studied the maps. And right there it was, a tiny public access to NoName on the side we like to hunt, about an extra mile hike, but what the heck, the Kid had the next day off before having to do about 12 days straight. We were going back in!

It's been pretty much cookie-cutter weather here, 30 at night, 70's in the day, might see a cloud or 2, no smoke. We arose about 4am, downed a 5-hour energy and bottle of water on the drive to our spot, got out, put our heads down and hiked. It takes about an hour and a half to get to the elevation where the elk usually are, and bingo, Jim sees the first one in a tiny park about a mile south of us straight across the ravine. Couple minutes later I spot a nice bull.

The Kid's like "let's go get 'em!" But the old "Flatlander" here was stilled gassed and said, "no no no, let's give a few toots on the horn around here and see if we can't get something goin' closer". We like to elk hunt the way I learned to turkey hunt, run and gun. Call, hike, call, hike. Find a hot one and work him. I got nothing against guys that sit blinds with decoys or treestands. But for me, I like buglin' em in. There's nothing like trying to put an arrow in a 6-800 pound beast that's huntin for you and wants to kick   your ass!

Well, we couldn't find anything after an hour or so. So it was time to go down our side of the ravine and back up the other side. ugh We've been using external reed bugles, but still keep a mouth diaphragm in so that when we make a loud, clumsy human crack or thump we follow with a cow chirp. Elk can be pretty loud too.

We got in close to where the elk were and Jim took off his pack to find a better sounding call. I think we both did a couple chirps and as he was putting his pack back on, I thought I heard a hoof hit a log, but the Kid, who has much better hearing, didn't seem to notice. Probably a squirrel dropping a pine cone.  

I don't think we went 10 yards and there was a huge clamoring of elk fleeing noises about 50 yards ahead. Oops, shoulda said something   :bigsmyl:

After we topped out on that spine and went over to the next ravine, it was time for me to have a sit in the shade. The kid gives a toot and thinks he hears a reply down the ways. So, he take his call and walks a bit up the hill to a better spot. I'm content to stay right where I am. Tough following a young dude through these hills.

I hear him bugle out 3 times in about a 20 minute time period. And here he comes back with that look in his eye, "I got one fired-up". "How many times did you call?" "2"  Oh yeah, even I could hear that one. He points to a little bench where the bull is, 5-600 yards away and we start our maneuver.

I'm following close behind when he stops suddenly and I know he's seeing something. Bowhunters. Jim walks over and I see a sign of recognation on the other guys' face. They know each other.

Turns out this guy is the local self-appointed elk hunting pro and he proceeds to tell us to "Stop bugling. These are pressured public land elk that don't come into bugling, cow calls maybe, but never bugles. I don't even carry a bugle". Yeah, but you carry a pistol, and bear spray, and, this isn't even Griz country. And, a pack big enough to summit Everest. Whatever. We head back down the mountain and as soon as we're out of earshot we start recounting all the bulls we've bugled in in the past. It's all good.

Time for me to grind meat, more to come.
Bragging may not bring happiness,
but no man having caught a large fish,goes home through the alley.

Offline sheephunter

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #92 on: September 12, 2015, 06:09:00 PM »
Cool! Congrats!
Black Canyon 64" 3PC LB 58@28
Bob Lee 60" 3PC RC 52@28
Great Plains 64" 1PC LB 57@28
Black Canyon 64" 3PC LB 53@28
"Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow" Fred Bear

Online varmint101

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #93 on: September 12, 2015, 06:57:00 PM »
Awesome, congrats on a fine elk!
Bless The Lord, O My Soul!

Member:
Indiana Bowhunter Association
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline Owlgrowler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #94 on: September 13, 2015, 01:26:00 AM »
That night I slept like a fourteen year-old. After a sitdown breakfast and couple cups of coffee, I still had a sleep hangover! I spent the rest of the day scouting out a new spot and doing some stump shooting. I did pick up a piece of obsidian that appears to have some knapping marks on it, dropped by one of our Brothers a long time ago, and decided I would carry it for the rest of the hunt.

I hunted this area the next morning, arriving at a good glassing spot just before shooting light. Even though I hunted a different area every morning they all started almost eerily the same. First I would hear an owl hooting during walk in, coyotes going off just before daylight and then bulls starting up soon after. This morning was no different, problem was all the bulls were down on private land. One was closer and I thought if I moved a bit to the north I might get ahead of him. Concentrating my sight down the hill where I heard the last bugle, I slipped my pack on and was in the process of putting the binos on when something caught my attention to my left. Cow. She had me. Down the hill she went. Oh well.

So I continued on up, checking out some new terrain, deep in thought about youth, bowhuntin, the west, love, magic.

Wed., Sept. 9, 2015, started out just like the rest of em. Back to NoName, flying solo. Up up up. Owl. Coyotes. No bugles. I was feeling a bit tired, burned out, almost sick. Push on. Daylight. Get out my horn and play a melody. Nobody else wants to play. Up some more, play a tune, listen, nothing. Stop in a sparse aspen grove, feeling a vibe, don't see anything, crack, crash, elk busting out, cow and calf, but, I didn't spook em, they run past me 40 yards out. What the? Nock an arrow, there's gonna be a bull. Here he comes. Raghorn chasing like a whitetail.

That was cool. At least I saw something. Maybe she's running to her preferred lover. I'm gonna follow. Up up up. Call call call. Nothing nothing nothing. That prime morning hunt time window is coming down, almost closed. God must be mad at me. "Are you kidding me you whiney ba$tard? (That's me lecturing myself) You got life by the conjones, great wife and kids, health, friends. You live in the greatest country on earth. YOU'RE IN WYOMING HUNTING ELK!!!" whew, I'm better now. Seems like when the body is getting run down, the mind follows.

Give a bugle. Nada. There's a nice flat spot in the shade under that big Doug fir that looks like the perfect place to take a nap. Off comes the gear. Down goes the old man. Great spot. Lay there a couple minutes, need a pillow, take my vest and shirt off the pack. Now it's perfect. Eyes close, I'm going to nod off pretty qui-"weeeoooo". BULL!!! Spin to my knees, grab my bugle that's carabinered to my pack and bugle with it right there in the dirt-and he cuts me off! He's comin in! Grab my bow, nock an arrow and scoot 10 yards towards him, and get hidden behind a group of small firs, and there he is, maybe 60 yards out, looking and coming. Not quite as big as I wanted, but this set-up is looking too good. I go into kill mode. Wind is nonexistent and if he continues he's going to walk past about 6 yards away below me. Only he didn't read the script.

He gets to the other end of the firs I'm hiding behind, 30 yards, and I can tell he's going behind me up the hill. I'm half crouching, half kneeling with me left knee down. I spin 180 degrees and he hears it. Luckily the firs are thick and he can't make me out and after a minute he's satisfied. He starts walking again, angling slightly towards me up the hill, there's a couple trees he needs to walk by before he's in the clear. And he keeps right on going, clears the last tree and I come to full draw, he steps into the only patch of sunlight on the hill and stops looking straight ahead without a twig between us. I'm anchored-up and it's all systems go.

I watch the arrow hit him a couple inches lower than I was looking and sink almost to the fletch. And when he spins straight away I catch a glimpse of the business end sticking out the off side.

Offline Owlgrowler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #95 on: September 13, 2015, 10:32:00 AM »
As my good friend John P. would say when describing a good shot on game, "It was beautiful!". But, I did have something nagging me, no blood visibly gushing immediately on impact.

I sat down and texted the Kid the same message I sent 4 years ago when I killed my last bull on this very same mountain. And, unbelievably, he was with the same client on the same river that he was 4 years ago. His advice was to wait at least an hour.

Couple minutes later I have my binos back on and I'm at the impact site looking for blood. Sparse. I start to have a sinking feeling. You know, I never felt like I tricked this bull, or that he made a mistake. It was more like the Great Spirit putting 2 of His animals together on 1 of his planets to do what predator and prey do.

After the shot I only got about 1 second of visual contact as he fled straight up the hill. But it did appear that he stumbled on his second jump, and then he was gone.

I got on the blood trail, which consisted of about 10 drops, the largest being the size of a dime, and that was it....nothing. My mind went straight to the bottom of despair, this might not end up good. I looked up at the heavens and vowed to God that if I didn't find this bull I would quit bowhunting forever.

The bull initially ran straight west, directly at a huge blowdown. I know he didn't turn south because I would have been able to see him. So I started checking all the avenues he could have taken in a northerly direction. And there it was, another drop or 2. Makes whitetail hunter sense. He's gonna head back down from whence he came. At least I have a direction determined.

But for some inexplicable, (at the time), reason, I headed up the hill to the west. Just stillhunting, glassing, going real slow, when all of a sudden I hear a crashing of sticks, bodies, antlers, and all the while there's a great bellowing roar. 2 bulls fighting high up on the hill above me, about a hundred yards away. I take a couple steps towards them, and I hear em starting up again. Only now I catch motion 20 yards in front of me, (my hearing really stinks), throw up the binos, it's a decent bull, wait, that bull is on the ground and there's a bloody wound on his side with an arrow protruding from it!!

I watch him for a minute and can't detect any breathing movement. I nock up and slip silently a few yards closer until I have a clear shot...he doesn't react. The Great Spirit has let me witness my warrior Brother enter Elk Valhalla. And I feel great, predator and prey, doing what we are supposed to be doin. THANK YOU LORD!

Offline Owlgrowler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #96 on: September 13, 2015, 10:42:00 AM »

Offline Owlgrowler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #97 on: September 13, 2015, 11:13:00 AM »
I call Jim to let him know it's a sure thing and tell him to try and line somebody up to pack this beast down to refrigeration. I quarter him up, wrap the loins in my space blanket. Tear a piece of the space blanket off, wrap the hanging tenderloins in it and carry them off the mountain. The Kid and I both arrive back at his place simultaneously and he is noticeably agitated. He either can't get a hold of the packers he knows or gets excuses from friends with pack animals.

I tell him to forget it, I'll get up in the middle of the night, hike up there, bone him out, and take 2 trips to get the meat in the coolers. Leave the head for another day. It'll be fine. He says, "Let's go see Eric."

Eric is a part Native American, former hockey player,former bull rider, construction business owner, with a beautiful pack string of mules and horses. We pull in his driveway unannounced and he starts grinning. The grapevine has been at work and knows exactly why we're showing up now. It was like meeting someone I've known forever, Brothers from different Mothers. And, his busy work schedule had an opening tomorrow big enough to get my bull off the mountain.

Your looking at one happy boy in this pic.

Offline Owlgrowler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #98 on: September 13, 2015, 11:40:00 AM »
I have to throw in a disclaimer about Eric. He is NOT an outfitter and would not take a penny for packing my bull out. Sonofagun even paid for dinner that night when I went to the mens room to clean the ribs residue off my hands and face! That's the kind of guy he is, they don't get any better. Now he's letting me use his grinder and vacuum sealer, unbelievable how the stars align sometimes.

Well, this has been one heck of a hunt. A lot of soul searching, reflection and reckoning. This whole year has had a lot of foreboding for me. The magic of youth, the west, bowhunting and love, was feeling gone forever. And in a way it is. But I think it's only because you've figured out the trick to the magic, and you've got to be satisfied with that. Have I reached the age were I'm actually achieving wisdom? I think maybe it's all about satisfaction, and realizing it's satisfaction.

I do know I want to do it again. And I want a bigger one next time! Ha Thanks for reading my ramblings and may the Great Spirit be with you.

Offline Kopper1013

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #99 on: September 13, 2015, 02:14:00 PM »
Great story thanks for sharing, congratulations on a wonderful animal. I'll be in alfin Friday night and up a mountain Sunday, sure hope they are still rutting
Primitive archery gives yourself the maximum challenge while giving the animal the maximum chance to escape- G. Fred Asbell

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©