3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Best type of string  (Read 688 times)

Offline M Beach

• Trad Bowhunter
Best type of string
« on: September 10, 2015, 05:15:00 PM »
What is the best type of string to use on the Bear Super Grizzly? Looking to try to quiet the shot even more.

Offline Producer

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Best type of string
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2015, 05:31:00 PM »
I would ask Allen at Ten Ring Strings. I think the new Bear come with D-97. I just ordered a D-97 from Allen but I have never tried one before. I mostly use B-55 but I am trying something new because they seem to be like a living organism and never stop streaching. I have never found a major audible difference in strings. I beleive any bow and string can be made to be quiet with tuning and various silencers.
What gives me wings? Flying with my arrows over and over again. And never giving up...For giving up means not believing...

Offline LostNation_Larry

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2015, 08:10:00 PM »
The new Super Grizzly is Fast Flight compatible and comes with a DF 97 string.  Of course, the Super Grizzly's made in the early 70's were not FF compatible.

Personally I like a DF97 flemish Twist string.  I use brace height and silencers to tame the noise, not a different strand count or string material.
www.lostnationarchery.com
Where "Traditional" means "Personal Service."

Offline dbd870

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2015, 08:37:00 PM »
One made by Allen!
SWA Spyder

Offline Jayrod

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2015, 08:42:00 PM »
Originally posted by dbd870:
One made by Allen!
DEFINITELY!!! TRY one of his fast flight strings in the Fury material
NRA Life member

Compton traditional bowhunter member

Online SuperK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2015, 08:48:00 PM »
Get Allen from Ten Ring Strings to make you a string from Fury.   :thumbsup:
They exchanged the truth of GOD for a lie,and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator-who is forever praised.Amen Romans 1:25 NIV

Offline M Beach

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2015, 09:54:00 PM »
I do have the Grizzly from the 70's and I know part of the noise issue is that I shoot 2 under and not split finger. I have string leach and
cat whiskers on the string as well as padding where the string meets the bow, I have also switched to a glove over a tab because that made a difference. The bow is 50@28 and my arrows are right at 503 grains.  I am just trying to get the bow as quiet as can for the season coming up.  Just picking every ones brains for any tips that may help.

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2015, 10:40:00 PM »
IMO tuning makes the most difference, along with nock fit, arrow weight, your release, silencer placement, etc.

After all of that, the quietest materials in general seem to be the Dyneema/Vectran blends, like BCY X, but you can usually get a bow very quiet by tuning.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2015, 11:29:00 PM »
The 450+ was the quietest string i've ever used, but its soft nature made durability a problem.

I've been using the Rhino string since it came out & am real happy with it all the way around.... But... Like LBR mentioned...Tuning your set up with the right brace height and the right arrow weight is a huge factor. Much bigger than string material alone.

Online Terry Lightle

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2015, 07:51:00 AM »
We sell bunches of Rhino strings with no complaints.Seems really quiet on the bow I am hunting with this year.And I am a quiet bow freak,also swear by Wooly Whispers silencers
Terry
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2015, 10:57:00 AM »
450+ feels soft because it's a larger strand and the Vectran doesn't hold color as well.  It's practically the same thing as 452X (much smaller strand), which has been the benchmark in the wheel world for years and years.  The trend was going with a very low strand count, which could cause a durability problem.  

Rhino is 100% HMPE.  No idea what grade or brand, but Dynaflight '97 (SK75), 8125 (SK75), 8190 Universal (SK90), and 8190F (SK90) are all 100% HMPE (Dyneema brand).

Something I hadn't really considered before...the quietest string in any material should be white, because it has no color added.  The color process is what makes a material feel "harder", and may change the noise--especially with recurve bows.

I've never owned a bow I couldn't get quiet through tuning, but I think my next personal string will be white, just to see if I can tell a difference.

Offline kevsuperg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2015, 11:38:00 AM »
M beach.
 If its the early 70s bow you'll need B50.
 Try increasing your arrow weight another 100 grains. That will help quiet things.
USAF Medic 1982-1992
Life member BHA.
RMEF, PBS, Compton, idaho trad bow hunters

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2015, 12:12:00 PM »
Yes, if it's an older bow use Dacron.  B-55 is the one I prefer.  A heavier arrow will definitely quieten a bow.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2015, 03:58:00 PM »
Rhino is 100% HMPE. No idea what grade or brand, but Dynaflight '97 (SK75), 8125 (SK75), 8190 Universal (SK90), and 8190F (SK90) are all 100% HMPE (Dyneema brand).

Well i don't no why brands  of 100% HMPE would make a difference. but with D97  vs Rhino string made by Brownell there is a serious difference in the tone.  D97 has a much higher pitch to it than Rhino does.... I wonder Why that is?  

both strings with a 12 strand construction built by the same string builder and the rhino stays put, and is much quieter, & the D97 is still creeping well after its been shot in......  Why is that LBR?

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2015, 11:48:00 PM »
Well i don't no why brands of 100% HMPE would make a difference.
For the same reason brands make a difference with anything else.  Some companies are well established with a great reputation for quality, and some companies offer cheap knock-offs.  DSM is a company known for it's quality.  They are so proud of their reputation that they require the companies that use their fibers to state it on the label.  

but with D97 vs Rhino string made by Brownell there is a serious difference in the tone. D97 has a much higher pitch to it than Rhino does.... I wonder Why that is?
Tons of variables to consider, one of which is personal opinion.  Can't argue with opinion, and without formal testing with calibrated equipment that's going to be all we have.  

I've had lots of people over the years tell me that Dynaflight '97 was super quiet on their bows.  I've heard complaints about every material, including rhino.  Opinion.  

Dynaflight '97 has been very quiet on my bows.  Some of the variables are tuning, bow design, release...more than I care to think about.  A controlled test using calibrated equipment and eliminating as many variables as possible--even using white in both for testing--would be the only way to determine which, if either, was quieter;  if there was a notable difference, etc.

both strings with a 12 strand construction built by the same string builder and the rhino stays put, and is much quieter, & the D97 is still creeping well after its been shot in...... Why is that LBR?  
I'm no psychic, so there's no way I could say with any certainty.  Again, pointless to try to argue with opinion, and without any controlled tests and other specifics that's all we have.  

One thing I do know is all HMPE string materials have a degree of creep to them.  Even the highest grade on the market, SK90 by DSM, will have a degree of stretch/creep under the right conditions.  That's what led to the development of materials like 450+, 452X, BCY-X, etc.  Blended with Vectran, they are more stable, especially in higher temperatures.

I've heard of all sorts of things about strings over the years...that Dacron doesn't stretch; that this or that is tons faster, or quieter, or just "better";  that a Flemish string caused a bow's limbs to twist;  that a string made a bow draw 4# heavier;  that Flemish strings were less accurate and could even be dangerous...the list could go on.

With at least some I don't doubt the sincerity, but that doesn't make the claim any less of a mistake.

Offline Mike Mecredy

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2015, 01:15:00 AM »
D-10, or I wouldn't use it.
TGMM Family of the bow
USAF, Retired
A.C.B.C.S.

Offline LostNation_Larry

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2015, 07:31:00 AM »
It is a 70's Grizzly.  B55!  Tricks to make it quiet?  Where are your silencers?  Try 1/4 in from the touch of the limb.
www.lostnationarchery.com
Where "Traditional" means "Personal Service."

Offline Mike Mecredy

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2015, 11:21:00 AM »
I didn't catch the year  I'd stick with Dacron on the older bows unless somebody made the tip overlays compatible with low stretch string
TGMM Family of the bow
USAF, Retired
A.C.B.C.S.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2015, 04:50:00 PM »

both strings with a 12 strand construction built by the same string builder and the rhino stays put, and is much quieter, & the D97 is still creeping well after its been shot in...... Why is that LBR?

I'm no psychic, so there's no way I could say with any certainty. Again, pointless to try to argue with opinion, and without any controlled tests and other specifics that's all we have.  

Ok... hows this for a controlled test. I've been using the same 55# long bow for 4 years now. i had a D97 12 strand string on it for two years And was constantly having to adjust my brace height with it when i left it strung for months at a time during hunting season....... After switching to Rhino 12 strand, i've had the same string on the bow for almost 2 years and have never once had to adjust my brace height after the initial settle in period. I've left this bow strung and shot it a lot for months at a time in all kinds od weather too....... That..... and the noise level is night and day difference between the two materials. Maybe not in decibels... but the tone pitch is much higher in D97.... this isn't an opinion... it's a conclusion i've drawn from personal experience.

don't get me wrong here... i'm not bad mouthing D97 at all. its a tough string material that held up real well in all kinds of lousy weather, and you could definitely tone it down with string silencers..... But i prefer the Rhino.

Offline Producer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2015, 07:22:00 PM »
I may be wrong but some of the reason that strings of certain material keep straching is that they buy strings that are not long enough and they twist them up a lot so the string continues to streach. That is just a theory and maybe the string pros can weigh in on that.
What gives me wings? Flying with my arrows over and over again. And never giving up...For giving up means not believing...

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©