3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Wood arrow Guru's & Makers  (Read 430 times)

Offline H1tman7

• Trad Bowhunter
Wood arrow Guru's & Makers
« on: September 11, 2015, 04:16:00 PM »
I built an Osage self bow, it's 55 @ 30" which is my draw length. It does have a shelf cut that i would estimate will be 1/3 of in inch short of center once I get material on the shelf.

I need to pick up some shafts for it that I can work up into the 550-600 grain range.  Point weight will be approx 100 grains (stone points).

Any recommendations on a wood shaft spine & material?  This is my first go at getting a spine for a self bow.

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Wood arrow Guru's & Makers
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2015, 05:00:00 PM »
Self bows are real individuals when it comes to spine, but assuming a centered string, shelf well out from center and a 31" BOP arrow, I would figure 50-60 lb spine.  Ramin would be a great arrow wood if you can find the spine. Doug Fir would be my choice.  Spine and desired weight should be easy enuf to get.  I figure a shaft around 400-450 grains.

I have some test arrows:  50, 53, 53 and 59 lb spine full length if you would like to try them.  They have 125 points on them and I don't think I have any 100's, but that should be easy enuf to adjust for.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2015, 05:18:00 PM »
sounds like great fun.

If I were you I'd get a spine kit of Douglass Fir or maybe ash.

I'm sure you'll make more bows and have these questions all over again.

A 32" DF shaft in 50# might weigh only around 400grains.
Ash would be quite a bit heavier....not sure how heavy.

Ash is a pain to straighten.

I guess if I was knapping the heads I'd try to knap out some 200ish grainers and put em on some fir...

I'd think 100 grain heads on a heavy shaft like ash would give you a sorta unstable combo ... not much weight up front..

I won't even put a spine guess out to ya..it would just be a shot in the dark..sorry bud.
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2015, 05:56:00 PM »
With 100 gr points you will need to go to something heavier than POC ,for example.  A  full length POC with 100 gr points will come in at 440 to 460 grains, just for a reference.  My only other reference is Doug fir but they will probably be on the light side too.
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2015, 06:07:00 PM »
Actually POC weight ranges more than that.  I have bare shaft 11/32 POCs that weigh 440-460 grains.  With feathers and finish and a 100 grain head, they'll be in the 560-580 grain range. Just ask your supplier for shafts in the 400-450 grain range as Fletcher suggests.  They're available in POC, though not as common as Doug Fir in that weight range.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©