3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Wes Wallace Mentor vs. Windauer Silvertip Recurve  (Read 2748 times)

Offline Jack Hoyt 75

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Wes Wallace Mentor vs. Windauer Silvertip Recurve
« on: September 11, 2015, 05:22:00 PM »
It goes without saying that these are two great bowyers.  I have owned a 3 pc. take down Silvertip and got on Wes's build list a long time ago.

Debating weather to get off the list or push my bow back since I have been selling off bows and getting down to my favorites.  Also dream of ordering a 1 pc. Silvertip in the future.

Asking for any info and insights on the Wallace Mentor 1 pc. vs. the Silvertip 1 pc. recurve.  Just curious to get peoples opinions who have owned or shot both and what they liked about each.  Any specifics are appreciated!  Grip, weight, speed, preferred length, two different styles of checking, ect.

When comparing these two I know you cant go wrong with either but interested in the subtle differences and things that make them unique.    :archer2:
Hill Country Bows - RER

TGMM, Compton Traditional Bowhunters, NWTF Member
Indiana NWTF State Board Member
Indiana Bowhunter Association Member

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Wes Wallace Mentor vs. Windauer Silvertip Recurve
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2015, 06:52:00 PM »
I've owned both and below is MY review of the bows:

Checkering goes to Silvertip

Grip comfort goes to Silvertip

Speed goes to Mentor

Handshock, accuracy, noise level is a tie.

Fit, finish, and overall workmanship is a tie.

Better price goes to Mentor.

Resale value and desirability goes to Silvertip.

Dealing with bowyers is a tie.

Shorter wait time to build goes to Mentor.

Your best bet is to see if they will send you a sample to try out.
Lon Scott

Offline S.A.S.A.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2015, 08:36:00 PM »
I have been a dealer for wes for the last 15 yrs and have never had a single bow returned for any reason also have been shooting his bows since 1990 they are great shooters craftsmanship is top notch and wes is great to work with, my son is currently shooting the new 56 inch mentor and it is a real shooter, Daves bows are beautiful and shoot great but I have never had any dealings with him personally.  best of luck in your search
Randy S Harrison

Offline tom cunningham

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2015, 08:49:00 PM »
Because I like a longer bow length I prefer the Mentor...

Offline overbo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2015, 08:04:00 AM »
Blackhawk's review is pretty spot on outside the grip. Grip is  personal preference IMO.

Offline Jack Hoyt 75

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2015, 09:05:00 AM »
More info is appreciated.

I will stay on the Wallace list and leaning toward 62" Mentor one piece with checkered grip.  I think I am more suited to the one piece.

I agree with Tom and with a 29" draw I really like a 62" recurve.  Tips only goes up to 60" in a one piece recurve.

Thanks a lot, keep info and opinions coming.
Hill Country Bows - RER

Offline Tim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2015, 10:26:00 AM »
Silvertip recurves are available in 3 riser lengths and two limb lengths giving several length possibilities with the longest bow available being a 64".  If you are looking for a 62" bow you can achieve this two ways.  A 17" riser with long limbs or a 19" riser with short limbs.

Offline maxwell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2015, 11:26:00 AM »
What Tim said,  I have all three schafer risers and several sets of limbs I find the 62" Schafer to be near perfect.

Offline Danny Rowan

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2015, 11:40:00 AM »
there are actually 4 riser lengths Maxwell. 14", 15", 17" and 19"
"When shooting instinctivly,it matters not which eye is dominant"

Jay Kidwell and Glenn St. Charles

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member
Retired CPO US Navy 1972-1993
Retired USCBP Supervisory Officer 1999-2017

Offline md126

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2015, 05:52:00 PM »
I think the OP was referring to a 1pc Silvertip length not the 3pc

Offline maxwell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2015, 06:35:00 PM »
I stand corrected, I forgot about the 56" bows.

Offline tom cunningham

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2015, 07:36:00 PM »
Regarding the Mentor's checkered grip. I'm not sure if Wes gives a measurement but I have had some Mentor's checkering with "more" lines to the inch as opposed to "less" lines to the inch.  I like the look and feel of mine that have more lines to the inch.....hope that makes sense.

Offline Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2015, 02:06:00 PM »
The 1 PC Mentor should be a very nice bow.

The mass weight will be nice.But not too heavy or cumbersome feeling.

The 1 PC is gonna be more aesthetically pleasing in my opinion..Nice clean lines.

I have had a few silvertips and even the 1 PC Silvertip.I do really like the Silvertip grip alot!Perhaps if you like the silvertip grip you could have Something done similar since this will be a custom bow.

I have had the Wallace T.D.

The closest thing I have had to the Wallace 1 PC was a few 64 inch 1 PC Blacktails.Thier very similar.Both were originally inspired by Brackenbury's desighns.I did really like my Blacktail 1 PC bows.

I think at your 29" draw a 62" would be a good fit.I draw a bit over 29 and the 64 inch Blacktail was about perfect.

The more lines per inch sounds like a good idea that Tom mentioned as far a checkering on the Wallace.Hard to beat a Schafer checking job though.

Offline Keith Zimmerman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2015, 11:12:00 PM »
Just ask Dave for finer checkering.  I did.  Ive never shot a WW.  But I draw 29.5" and the Silvertips handle that easily from the 56" to his 60" that I own.

Offline goldentrout_one

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2015, 01:54:00 PM »
I own three WW one-piece recurves, so I'm going to be a bit biased. Two are 64" and one is 66". These are the best-shooting bows I've every shot, super-easy to tune off the shelf, fast (well, fast enough), just a real stable shooting platform. I'd say the bows have somewhat of a target vibe to them. I have a 30" draw length, and the past few years I've really been moving toward longer bows. Many, but not all 60" bows I've shot have either stacked, or to some extend 'tightened-up' toward the end of the draw cycle, I'm finding longer bows just work a bit better for me, more forgiving, and I'm just more accurate, with scores on the standard 14-target field range having a marked improvement. The only downside to my Mentors is they are a bit challenging to keep the noise level down, but not unreasonably so. The fact that it's a beautiful bow doesn't hurt either!

Of my three bows one has a bubinga riser, one has a Bolivian rosewood riser, and one has a zebra riser. With respect to mass weight, from heaviest to lightest is bubinga, B rosewood, and zebra. My zebra bow weight about as much as a 1970s super kodiak, whereas the bubinga riser bow is a heavy-weight! The weight certainly adds stability, but I do like the zebra bow for carrying around (because when hunting I'll be carrying a bow more than shooting it). I don't thing there's a right choice here...

None of my bows have veneers on the limbs. For core limb wood, I have one with osage, one with red elm, and one with yew. Of those three woods, osage has the highest density, and I do notice a tad more vibration from the osage-limbed bow. However, that's also the bow with  the zebra riser, so is the extra vibration due to the heavier osage limbs? Or is it due to the over-all lower mass weight of the entire bow? Not sure... From a performace-standpoint, all three bows seem to perform the same, just a tad more vibration from the osage. The bow shoots great, the slight vibration issue is just an observation, the osage limbs shoot just as good as the other bows. If I could do it again, I'd actually get my bows with bamboo limbs and BLACK GLASS. If I was to get clear glass, you simply can't beat the looks of that yew, just beautiful. I'll probably be ordering another bow soon, it'll be a 66" version. I'm actually considering a stealth, something not quite as beautiful to take into the mtns, maybe even camo-paint the whole thing!

I've looked hard at the one-piece Silvertip, very nice bow, but unfortunately with my long draw length the 60" amo is a deal-breaker, unless I ever get a chance to shoot one and assess it's suitability with a 30" draw.

Offline Straitshot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2015, 03:43:00 PM »
I have a 62" Mentor one piece and a 62" Schafer Silvertip T/D. I like both bows. I really like the simplicity of the Mentor one piece. Both bows are equal draw weights and great performers. I do believe the Silvertip may be slightly faster. There are slight differences in shooting characteristics but both are quality performers and I enjoy both of them. Here are a couple pictures of the Mentor. I bought this very nice Mentor from TradGang member Tom Cunningham. The photo of the Silvertip is with another one I use to own. The one I still have is the dark charcoal riser bow on the top.

A man's true measure is not found in what he says, but in what he does.

Online matt steed

• Trad Bowhunter
  • For God So Loved The World
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2015, 05:25:00 PM »
I got a Wes Wallace on order. Still trying to decide which model and what length. I have heard great things about both bowyers. I decide to go with Wes based on his reputation of taking care of his customers.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline tom cunningham

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2015, 05:49:00 PM »
The 64 and 66 lengths are the ones I still have and are pretty easy on the eyes...but it might be that Louis got the looker. Glad it's working out.  Tom.

Offline Jack Hoyt 75

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2015, 08:20:00 PM »
Great info Steelhead, goldeneye-one and Straitshot.  You guys may convince me to go with a 64" after all.  I got some amazing figured Myrtle from the Wood Vault waiting for this bow.  Tom C. my Wallace may end up looking similiar to the one you let go.  I am thinking dark riser like Wedge or Macassar Ebony or ? with yew core and my veneers. It might turn out to be more of a target bow for me.

Time will tell...
Hill Country Bows - RER

Offline Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2015, 11:48:00 PM »
I think you would be very happy with the 64 incher.It might be perfect for you at 29".The risers are pretty long on those.The 64 would give you plenty of working limb no doubt.The 62 might not feel quite as sweet all around.

I would discuss it with the Bowyer before you make your final decision.

My 62 inch blacktail T.D did not fit me nearly as well as the 64 inch T.D and 64" one piece.The long riser makes a big difference IMO.I prefer the longer length with the long risers.

You can still hunt with a 64 inch recurve in most situations and shoot 3-D as well.It would be a good all around bow.

That Myrtle from the Vault is gonna make some killer lams.I almost bought some myself.

Your riser choice was exactly what I was thinking with these figured Myrtle lams.Macassor sounds about perfect.Dark Ziricote would be superb as well.Wenge is nice and I like the color with those veneers,Its also very strong.But its hard to get it sanded really smooth like a babies butt.My Berry has a wenge riser and I have had a few other bows with it.I like Macassor and Ziricote.I had antler tips on a Wallace Royal longbow that were very nice.It was an excellent shooting bow.

That's gonna be a sharp bow!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©