3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Feather rest ?  (Read 1799 times)

Offline aim small...release

• Trad Bowhunter
Feather rest ?
« on: September 16, 2015, 07:13:00 AM »
What is the benefit or disadvantage of a feather rest like the bear feather rest. Thanks for all the help as always.
Take a deep breath and pick a spot

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Feather rest ?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2015, 08:38:00 AM »
It gets the arrow up off a flat shelf,gives better arrow flight,forgiving.The only disadvantage is they may flatten a bit if wet,but they are short feathers and they are usally 4 or 5 feathers wide so they may not flatten like fletching does when wet.I like the feather rest on my 2014 Kodiak,works great and has the classic look that just goes with the bow.I have put a couple of Trap's feather rest on a couple of old Ben Pearson's I have.JMO

Online Terry Lightle

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2015, 08:58:00 PM »
Trap builds the best made
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member

Offline jkm97

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2015, 09:14:00 PM »
Always wanted to try one, just have not yet.

Offline Fastltz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2015, 10:12:00 PM »
I love mine. Fixed my nock high. Really seems to smooth out the arrow. Recommend to anyone.
1 Peter 3:15 ...always be ready to give a defense to anyone who asks you for a reason for the hope that is in you.

Offline Mryan2176

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2015, 11:17:00 PM »
Will they work on a slightly radiused shelf? Also anyone using one on a center cut longbow? Not trying to high jack just I'm curious about them too. They look cool I think, that's about all I know about them.

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2015, 06:51:00 AM »
They are about the best rest you can get, other than an elevated rest. Very quiet and forgiving. Rain doesn't affect them much as they are very short in height.

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2015, 09:12:00 PM »
I had one on my first bow in 1965.  I personally did not like the look of it, but I guess it worked ok.

Seemed kind of fragile to me.
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2015, 11:21:00 PM »
I was 4 in 1965. I didn't make that one. Lol
"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Offline Bowitis

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2015, 12:16:00 AM »
LOL!  Trap's are not fragile.  I wish I would have kept track of how many arrows I've put over mine.
JD Berry Taipan
2 Heartland Surge

Offline Jhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2015, 01:41:00 PM »
Trap, can we buy direct from you?

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2015, 02:09:00 PM »
I build feather rests and I sell them so I'm always reluctant to jump in on a thread and talk them up.  

I would rather the rests just speak for themselves.  I get a great deal of support from you guys that use them and I appreciate that.

It seems like folks always want to question their durability and performance when they are wet. I guess I can understand that.  Traditional bowhunters are tough on their equipment and like to shoot it a lot. I'm no different.  When the time is right, I hunt.  Only a downpour keeps me out of the woods and that decision is not made because I use a feather rest.  I don't like losing game to washed out blood trails.

Feather rests are pretty darned durable.  Way more so, than they look. Is that because of something I do? No.  

I make my rests out of the very best feathers from one of the toughest birds to ever walk on this planet.  Wild turkeys are plain tough and their feathers act as their shield against the elements.  They live outside in the rain, sleet, snow, and wind as well as the blistering heat. They have to be able to avoid predators in all types of conditions and be able to get airborne with those wet feathers at a moments notice.  

I just take what nature has perfected and arrange small pieces of it together to form a rest. Of the several thousand 3 Rivers has sold, one has been returned and it was a mess.  I'm betting it was put on the bow backwards or some type of silicon based spray was used to make it "waterproof" and that compromised the adhesive.  In any case. It was replaced.  

I've had the same rest on my 59 Kodiak I named "Broken Heart" since the day I got it back from Bowdoc after the Refinnishing 101 thread was done.  Hard telling how many arrows have been across that rest. Easily several 1000.

If you ever want to try one, buy one, if you aren't satisfied with it, get in touch with me.  I'll either send you another one or refund your money no matter where you buy it.

Daryl
"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2015, 02:12:00 PM »
Jhawk,

Yes you can, but there are some fine sponsors here on TG that sell them and because of shipping prices it's often cheaper for the buyer to include them with the purchase of other items that you're already paying shipping for.

Daryl

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2015, 02:14:00 PM »
3 Rivers, The Nocking Point, Raptor Archery, Big Jim's, and the Footed Shaft carry them.

Daryl

Offline fmscan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2015, 04:51:00 PM »
Get TRAPs rests and your shooting will improve.

Offline Babbling Bob

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2015, 05:31:00 PM »
A red one of Traps rests was on a 59 K Special I bought off Brian in Texas three years ago and its had a bizllion arrows across it in all kinds of weather and it's still just fine. Its often my 3D bow and some of my arrows are thread wrapped at the front of the fletching.  Theyr'e just plain tough.

As a comparison, the one that came with my '63 Tamerlane when it was new (just 53 years ago) showed signs of wear in a few years of target  shooting with 24srt target arrows, 3-inch feathers and nibs for points.

Offline jackdaw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2015, 10:12:00 PM »
I bought my first one from Darryl about 6 years ago, and then I bought six more keep in my kit...!!!! To this day I cannot believe how durable they are! I put one on both of my Ed Holcomb 1959 Kodiak repros....One of which I shot 60-70 arrows across a day, 5 days a week for 2 years.....Over 15,000 a year x 2 years...Literally over 30,000 shots over that feather rest......!!!! I don't care if anyone believes that or not, it is a fact...! I finally changed it because I accidentally knocked the outside feather off...It was starting to get a little dog eared but it still functioned fine....I still have 3 left. Gave one or two away.....Absolutely the best rest available.......Never met trap a day in my life but there's a ringing endorsement from user
John Getz:........... Time flies like an arrow, Fruit flies like bananas.
Ed HOLCOMB 59' KODIAK 51#
Ed HOLCOMB 59' KODIAK 47#
67'1/2  BEAR SUPER K  44#
WILSON BROTHERS BLACK WIDOW 60" 45#
LONGRIVER ELK 62" LONGBOW 53#
1967 WING 62" SLIMLINE 43#

Offline Jack Hoyt 75

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2015, 10:28:00 PM »
Great info in this thread.  I have considered trying one.  I was thinking since I shoot three under and used a fixed crawl (fingers lower on the string) that maybe raising the arrow up some would help things.  Meaning the,arrow rest would raise the arrow up above the shelf so fingers would raise up even with a fixed crawl.

Think it would help, on the right track, make sense?

Thanks
Hill Country Bows - RER

TGMM, Compton Traditional Bowhunters, NWTF Member
Indiana NWTF State Board Member
Indiana Bowhunter Association Member

Offline Jack Hoyt 75

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2015, 10:28:00 PM »
Double post

Thanks
Hill Country Bows - RER

TGMM, Compton Traditional Bowhunters, NWTF Member
Indiana NWTF State Board Member
Indiana Bowhunter Association Member

Offline jackdaw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2015, 01:18:00 PM »
Thought I would bump his back to the top ......I still think people should try these rests..  they're amazing and flight of them is pretty astounding..
John Getz:........... Time flies like an arrow, Fruit flies like bananas.
Ed HOLCOMB 59' KODIAK 51#
Ed HOLCOMB 59' KODIAK 47#
67'1/2  BEAR SUPER K  44#
WILSON BROTHERS BLACK WIDOW 60" 45#
LONGRIVER ELK 62" LONGBOW 53#
1967 WING 62" SLIMLINE 43#

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©