3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: A game of peek-a-boo  (Read 224 times)

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
A game of peek-a-boo
« on: September 16, 2015, 08:12:00 PM »
Yesterday, I went to my ground blind for a rare evening hunt. I had not been there long when a small doe began to work her way toward me. About the same time, 3 approached from the other direction.

So here I was, not knowing which way to turn. The deer from behind were blowing, and the deer in front was blowing in return. I don't think any of them made me out because they were concentrating on each other, and the angle from which the breeze was blowing kept them from smelling me.

One of the deer circled and joined the deer in front of me. Both of these very young deer still had traces of spots on their coats. Since I knew I would not take a shot on them, I just sat back and watched, even though they came within 15 yards of me. This lasted almost an hour.

The most surprising thing about this whole scene was that my neighbor was running his lawn mower just a few hundred yards from us. None of the deer ever reacted to this loud noise. They are used to human noise and activity. Obviously, they have us patterned pretty well. Now the only question is, "Where is that big buck?"
Sam

Re: A game of peek-a-boo
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2015, 08:43:00 PM »
Hope that buck shows for you, Sam!

Good luck,

Bisch

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: A game of peek-a-boo
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2015, 08:31:00 AM »
Sounds like a fun hunt.  The deer know all the noises of the human activity that goes on around them.  I would not be surprised if they recognize the smell of the homeowners compared to you.
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©