3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Problems sharpening grizzlys  (Read 242 times)

Offline snowplow

• Trad Bowhunter
Problems sharpening grizzlys
« on: September 17, 2015, 08:48:00 AM »
Hey guys, I was sharpening some first generation grizzly's last night and got a little frustrated. I am wondering what I am doing wrong.

I can usually sharpen anything and my new favorite tools to do it are paper wheels. I spent a bunch of time on these things, even touching them up at the end with a diamond and ceramic steel as a last ditch effort. Even still they wouldn't shave hair. I can slide them right down my arm without fear of being cut. These are my first single bevels, so then I thought maybe it was the bevel angle (similar to how the 3 blades dont 'feel' as sharp) But I dont think that's it because it doesn't look to be different than my ace heads; just skewed single bevel style. I tested them cutting paper and they dont even want to do that. Finally I grabbed a new ace that never was sharpened. In under a minute it was so hair popping sharp it was ridiculous. So what the heck am I doing wrong guys? This should be the easiest thing in the world to sharpen. I think it must just be the difference in steel or that someone got it too hot putting the hotmelt in or something.

Offline meatCKR

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Problems sharpening grizzlys
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2015, 08:56:00 AM »
Are you raising a burr that you can feel on the other side of the edge?  I have found the trick with single bevels is to raise a good burr then flip the head over and ever so lightly take that burr off.  Always got hair to fly off my arm after that.

Steve
"Leave it as it is. You can not improve on it. The ages have been
at work on it, and man can only mar it."
- Theodore Roosevelt upon seeing the Grand Canyon.

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2015, 09:12:00 AM »
Snow,
First thing to do is flatten the "flat" side.  News flash- it's not flat. No, it's NOT flat. And remember, please, he asked about the original grizzlies....not Bill Dunn's version...so this likely isn't required for the new ones...I don't know.  I have so many of the old ones I've never ordered the new!

Second, the device used to create the bevel was round....and because of that it's not perfectly flat either.  So initially, there's a lot of filing to do.

Using a very aggressive file, laid flat on your bench with the tang pointed directly away from you, in your right hand grab the head by the opposite bevel, lay it down on the file with the tip away from you, and pull it along the right hand side of the file pulling toward your body.  Do this several times. What you'll see if you check it is paint and metal being removed unevenly.  That's good. Keep going until you've removed the paint all down the edge at the very least.

Now it's time to do the beveled side....in this you're going to hold the head on a piece of shaft in your left hand, laying it against an immovable surface point toward YOU( could be a stair railing post, a vise in your shop- anything that you can rest the shaft on and be able to run the file in your right hand down along the beveled side from tip to rear of the head in a smooth, evenly maintained angle - Do NOT use your knee- it gives too much- there's too much motion for effective filing) the biggest mistake people make here is trying to 'CUT" metal.  Don't do that- you want to just let the file's own weight and teeth do the cutting, don't apply a ton of force. Now early on, it might be useful to use a magic marker - a red one perhaps- and mark the whole bevel....then you can see when you've removed it you should be close. The opposite side will have to be done facing away from you- back to front...unless you are ambidextrous.

What you will see as you continue - your heaviest strokes at the beginning and progressively lighter and lighter toward the end, is a very fine piece of "foil" forming on the edge.  That's what some people call a burr.  I call it a foil edge, because it looks like silver leaf or gold leaf....it's very thin.  

Once you see that (sometimes depending on the light you must turn the head back and forth to get the light to catch it for your eyes) S-T-O-P.

Now here I like to use a wood paddle with belting leather and flitz metal polish on it- you can use just a piece of thin cardboard (the gray side, not the side with printing on it) Hold the head on the shaft in your right hand, hold down the piece of cardboard or the strop with your left hand-flat on the table- and with a wiping motion try to move that piece of foil from side to side stropping it on the surface you've chosen until you see it come off - when you see it come off- S T O P.  Often you see it come off in one big curl.  Other times it removes in sections- what that means is the flat side is likely not quite flat. Once it comes off....

Go no further. have this image in your head- you are wiping peanut butter off a knife onto a piece of bread- the whole length of the knife at once- side to side- trying to 'clean' the knife of peanut butter back and forth, wax on, wax off.

It will make your eyes bleed just looking at it.

From this point on, keeping them sharp takes just seconds per head...think of this as setting up the head for being sharp- once this is done, they take about 20 to 30 seconds per head.  You'll also find that they stay sharp much longer than most traditional heads because the rockwell hardness is so high. Most heads are very soft so they can be easily sharpened, but the edge doesn't last for that reason.
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2015, 10:49:00 AM »
Here is a quick how-to that I put together a couple weeks ago...

http://www.probowsociety.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=2856
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Offline snowplow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2015, 11:33:00 AM »
Thanks a lot guys!

I tried to raise a burr and did a little but was surprised how much grinding it took so I backed off. I got a wire edge a few times but it was always uneven; right in front or back.

It makes perfect sense if they are not flat and need file work. I almost grabbed the file but figured I was just missing something.

Thanks for all the help guys.

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2015, 02:50:00 PM »
I sharpen the new Grizzlys by hand after I hit the file like Ray sez. I can get them sharper than any head I have ever used and thats a lot. Thats why I choose to hunt with them. after dropping to 45@27 with my longbow I have used Grizzlys and have had pass throughs on 4 hogs and a small 8 pointer. Fine broadhead. RC

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2015, 03:14:00 PM »
My first Grizzlies, the year they came out, I read the destructions on the pack. Which said to file the beveled surface until the bur is raised on the flat side and then lay the file on the flat side with pressure added towards the bur and give a short and forceful back to front push to straighten up that bur.  With my right wing arrows I was amazed by how deadly they were. One day I bought a left wing Jo-Jan fletcher, thinking about the opposite spin to the cut, I serrated the head from the flat side like Hill sharpened his heads, that worked just as well on deer.  Now days, with the originals, I still have some, I flatten the back, take down the beveled side, black it with a magic marker file sharpen it again, black it again, hit it wit a fine diamond hone, and then strop them with a leather belt, flat on the flat side and angled on the beveled side and they are absolutely shaving sharp.  The key when using a file besides using progressively lighter strokes is to make sure that your file strokes are machine like straight and not a rounding motion.

Offline snowplow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2015, 04:46:00 PM »
Awesome advice guys thanks so much.

Offline kiamichi kid

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2015, 01:31:00 AM »
If you find that you are getting your heads to the verge of sharp but cannot get them all the way there, you might want to cheat like me. While i sat frustrated during a sharpening session with my grizzly's today I decided to cheat and pull out the accusharp. I tilted the sharpener to the 11 o'clock position to match the angle of the bevel and began making swipes. in 2 minutes I was shaving gobs of hair off my leg with minimal effort. In the future I hope to not need the accusharp as I have found the edge they produce isn't as durable as those made by other methods. But for today I am well pleased with some broad heads that will get the job done.
For me, to live is Christ and to die is gain. Phil. 1:21

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©