3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: My first archery deer!  (Read 933 times)

Offline cynical_ant

• Trad Bowhunter
My first archery deer!
« on: September 17, 2015, 02:59:00 PM »
So after ten years of wishing, wanting and hoping, I finally harvested a deer with archery tackle! And to boot, it was with my Yew selfbow and self arrows from this summers past workshop with RavenBeak Natureworks. This dream was a decade in the making, but this was the first deer I ever shot an arrow at, and I feel so overwhelmed with gratitude that this animal presented itself, and allowed me to use him to feed my family

I was out at the potato farm where I have hunted for years. Deer populations are huge around there. Being Columbia Blacktail, they are supremely weary, and it is hard to find bucks. Does are a dime a dozen, but trying to get past all those eyes, ears and noses is tough man! I have taken several deer from this place in the past with a shotgun, however I have grown tired of packing around a heavy cool "machine", for the warmth and natural feel of a stickbow. Two years ago I built myself a maple board bow, from info gleaned from various sites including TradGang, and YouTube. The bow worked! I never backed it and was so happy that I was able to have something practice with. This past spring I almost went to a wheelie bow, due to marketing of mainstream hunting media. When face to face with one, I just couldn't do it. Too much weight, no life to it. Upon this revelation I decided that I would use that coin and join RavenBeak Natureworks bow building workshop. I had a wonderful time during that four day immersion, making a bow for hunting, along with a dozen bamboo arrows. 66" American Flatbow, drawing 52# at 28", smooth to draw, crisp release and hard hitting arrows. No hand shock, lightweight and beautiful.

Hunting season was upon us. I was packing a fiberglass recurve for the first few weeks, as it was the bow I practiced most with all summer. I had some close opportunities but no shots. "Naka" was beginning to call my name. I took her out for a stumpshoot with my brother-in-law over the weekend, and I was much impressed with my ability with the weapon. I decided that "Naka" would join me on my next hunt.

I reached my stand location, hunting on the ground, in a small grove of trees. A setup less than ten yards where deer frequently enter on to the field to eat. Several hours passed with many deer on the field 60 yards and further away, no chance to stalk them. As darkness neared, I was beginning to think tonight wasn't the night. Suddenly, something made me turn around, a feeling. Low and behold, a small deer was curious of me, and began walking towards me from the rear. The wind was perfect for my set, and he kept working towards me. At first I thought it a fawn, until I saw the spikes on its head. Turning around in my stool, I readied for the shot. My heart raced. I came to half draw and he went broadside at less than 5 yards, and quickly went behind a tree, only to emerge out the other side. I saw a rib, came to anchor and released. I never saw the arrow flight, only the deer take off like a rocket, and I was left thinking "WTF just happened"?

I came out of my hole to check for blood. Nothing. Arrow? Nope. Crap, did I miss? How could I miss such a close shot. I am not the best archer, but I can hold my own inside ten yards, and I was certain I came to full anchor. I looked and looked for sign. I called my pal who was hunting on a different field to come help me. It was getting very dark now. We searched and searched, no sign at all. Disapointed and resigned to the fact I missed, the night was called off, with the plan to return in the morning to look in the light. So many emotions ran through my mind on the drive home and that evening. I dreamt about the shot, vividly seeing the deers rib, but never recalling the arrows flight. A tough sleep to be sure, and an uneasy feeling about heading back to the farm.

As I ready to leave the next morning, I said to my wife "You know he is going to be laying on the field, with the arrow still in him", and I half believed myself. Could it be? Driving back out, trying to keep my level of expectations low and realistic, my stomach was in knots. Pulling into the same field where the shot happened, I slowly drove in, checking the field for any sign at all. It had rained that evening, so chance of finding blood were pretty slim. I had gotten to about where my friend had parked the night before, and what is that in the field? My deer!!! Holy smokes! I was thrilled! I did do it. All my self doubt was instantly released, replaced with confidence and pride. I called my wife, took some pictures and sent messages to my hunting buddies, before getting to work. The arrow was in fact still in the deer. It had entered the in the front shoulder, just missing all the bone, slipping between two ribs and exited out just behind the last rib on the opposite side, just clipping the gut. No wonder there was no blood. When I released the deer was broadside, but must have turned slightly to quarter to me. Broadside the Zwicky would have punched straight through, leaving me lots of blood to follow. The body cavity was full of coagulated blood. The deer certainly died quickly, and if I had looked the direction he ran once out of the trees, would have seen his death kicks. Field dressing a rigored deer was a challenge, got him loaded and headed for home.

The drive home was a reflection on the lessons learned from the hunt and recovery. Always ignore the self doubt is a huge one. Approach the shot follow-up like the deer is dead, not instantly thinking the shot was a miss. Not finding blood or an arrow means nothing. Also, while not wanting to pursue a wounded animal quickly, try to see where it might have gone. If this deer had left the field and went into the woods, he would have been bird food, I may never have found it. And finally, making and hunting with your own homemade equipment is so fun and rewarding. Most of my equipment was self made, including my bow, arrows, quiver and leather armguard. Out of respect for the deer I will not post any grip and grin pictures. I feel blessed to join the ancient fraternity of bowyers and hunters who do it the hard way to gather food for their families. Thank for reading!

Beauforttrad.com

Offline fmscan

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: My first archery deer!
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2015, 03:14:00 PM »
Ant, GOOD ON YOU. You made everything used in the hunt except the broadhead, very well done.

Offline Dave Lay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2015, 03:20:00 PM »
very good post !! thanks for the story and for the respect shown throughout it....
Compton traditional bowhunters
PBS regular
Traditional bowhunters of Arkansas
I live to bowhunt!!!
60” Widow SAV recurve 54@28
60” Widow KBX recurve 53@27
64” DGA longbow 48@27

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2015, 03:38:00 PM »
:archer:
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Online Terry Lightle

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2015, 03:44:00 PM »
Attaboy!
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member

Online ssoden

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2015, 03:44:00 PM »
Awesome ..thanks for sharing

Offline Gen273

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2015, 03:49:00 PM »
Congrats!!!
Jesus Saves (ROM 10:13)

Offline Rick Butler

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2015, 04:01:00 PM »
:thumbsup:     :thumbsup:  Congrats!
"I went to the woods because I wanted to live deliberately. To front only the essential facts of life and see if I could not learn what it had to teach and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived"- Thoreau
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline Scott E

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2015, 04:05:00 PM »
Awesome!!!! You'll remember that forever    :thumbsup:
Self reliance cannot be bought

Offline bowberry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2015, 04:21:00 PM »
great job!! congrats!!
Black locust selfwood longbow
52#@28"
Great Plains Longbow 55#@28"

Offline Ouchigan72

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2015, 04:44:00 PM »
Great job!!....Hope to have my 1st trad harvest this season.....

Online Ulysseys

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2015, 05:23:00 PM »
Hard work paying off.....congrats to you!
Type inspirational or witty quote here

Offline jamesh76

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2015, 05:37:00 PM »
:thumbsup:   good job
-------------------------------
James Haney
Spring Hill, KS
_ _ _ _ _ ______ _  _  _  _  _
USMC Infantry 1996-2001
1st Marine Division
-------------------------------

Offline Caughtandhobble

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2015, 05:38:00 PM »
Congrats my friend. I love to see the respect involved in hunting that you present.   :archer:

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2015, 05:43:00 PM »
:thumbsup:
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline longbow fanatic 1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2015, 06:02:00 PM »
:clapper:

Offline slowbowjoe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2015, 06:21:00 PM »
"very good post !! thanks for the story and for the respect shown throughout it…."

"Congrats my friend. I love to see the respect involved in hunting that you present."

X3.

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2015, 06:41:00 PM »
Very cool, congrats.
shoot straight shoot often

Offline VA Elite

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2015, 06:53:00 PM »
pretty freaking awesome!
If you profess with your mouth Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved Romans 10:9

Offline DennyK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2015, 06:55:00 PM »
Outstanding & Thanks for the story!  :thumbsup:  

Denny
Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©