3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: why so many longbows?  (Read 1325 times)

Offline VA Elite

• Trad Bowhunter
why so many longbows?
« on: September 18, 2015, 11:17:00 AM »
Being around this group and at shoots I see that most seasoned veterans are using longbows a lot. I know there are still many recurvers, but it just seems long there are more longbow shooters. If this is the case, is there a reason why?
If you profess with your mouth Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved Romans 10:9

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: why so many longbows?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2015, 11:23:00 AM »
I don't know for the rest but for myself I prefer a longbow because I like the light weight , the wand like feel and the fact that I don't need a stringer
JD Berry Taipan (original) 53@28 62”
Cascade mountain Brush Hawk 53@28 56”

Offline VA Elite

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2015, 11:24:00 AM »
man I thought my recurve was light...I do know they are more quiet. are just a smoother bow to shoot?
If you profess with your mouth Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved Romans 10:9

Offline Steve Jr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2015, 11:42:00 AM »
X2 Brian
Steve Jr

Stalker Coyote FXT LB 58" & 48#@26"
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member

Offline Green

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2015, 11:47:00 AM »
X3 on Balentine's comment.  Magic Wands.
ASL's, Selfbows, and Wood Arra's
Just because you are passionate about something, doesn't mean you don't suck at it.

Offline AZ_Longbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2015, 11:51:00 AM »
Light, quiet, fun and simply sleek. Though my Hoyt buffalo recurve is more efficent, I still shoot my bamabows tribute and hunter 95% of the time.
"There's only two things an arrow wants to do, it wants to fly and it wants to hit its target. It's in its very nature. Don't over think it."

Offline shedhunta

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2015, 11:51:00 AM »
Every recurve I owned ended up having problems.  Limbs twisted, cracked etc.  i took care of them well.  I like the durability of a simple longbow.  Thats mainly why I am a longbow only guy now.
Toelke whip 2 piece.  58" 50@28"

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2015, 11:52:00 AM »
Two main reasons for me.

#1 - Longbows go "thud", recurves go "TWANG"! I like the thud of a longbow much better!

#2 - No stringer needed for my longbow. I hate stringers, and can't keep up with them very well!

Bisch

Offline GreyCrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2015, 11:52:00 AM »
I often wonder about this as well. I too am newish to this whole archery thing and have never even had a longbow in my hands. I do however shoot what I think is a very 'longbow-y' recurve, a 64inch Toelke super static with a classic grip.
Now when I pick up my old bear recurve it feels too 'chunky' in my hands...

I think my next will be a mild to medium R/D long bow
   :archer:

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2015, 11:53:00 AM »
I think they look better hanging next to me in a tree. I think they look better laying on a dead critter to. I cant find enough performance difference to justify that one way or another, so it must be all about the looks for me.

Offline VA Elite

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2015, 11:56:00 AM »
so I always here the revurve has more power or efficiency and are faster etc... I don't know. I do know that my recurves are louder than any longbow i have heard.  As far as accuracy goes, I never shot a longbow so i wouldn't that either. I can say that I hate, I mean I cringe every time I have to use my stringer!

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2015, 12:13:00 PM »
I think you are looking for a reason to get a longbow...  :D    :D  

Seriously tho, D/R longbows don't give up much to the recurves in performance anymore.

Plus all the other reasons mentioned above.

So go ahead and getcha one!   :archer2:
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline snakebit40

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2015, 12:21:00 PM »
I made the switch this season to an HHA Wesley Special because I just loved the simple look. Then I shot it, and the more I shoot it the more I love it. The simple thud, light weight, no stringer, seems to shoot where I look with less effort, and again I just love the simple D shape look. I looked at HHA's for years and have always been drawn to them, and finally this year found one at the perfect weight and length.

Nothing at all wrong with recurves. I honestly still love mine and I'm torn about leaving it at home because they are such great bows. I made the commitment to at least give a full hunting season to the longbow.

Do you have one in mind you'd like to try?
Jon Richards

Isaiah 6:8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”.
>>>>------------>
Schafer Silvertip 71@28
Big River 60" 59@28

Offline M Beach

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2015, 12:25:00 PM »
I was wondering about the difference also. I have only shot recurves but the Toelke Pika has peaked my interest. As a recent wheel bow convert I am just trying to get up to speed on all the different ins and outs of traditional archery.

Offline VA Elite

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2015, 12:32:00 PM »
I don't have one in mind, but I would like to shoot one for a bit to see if I would enjoy as much as I have the recurve.

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2015, 01:03:00 PM »
I like em all.  I'll default to a hybrid or longbow but I love recurves too.  As long as it is reasonably quiet.  To me the silky smooth draw of a well designed recurve limb is hard to beat.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline tomsm44

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2015, 01:26:00 PM »
Also remember, there's a big difference between a modern R/D longbow and a Hill style.  There's really three classes of laminated trad bows IMO instead of two.  

As for power/efficiency, I read one time where a guy did a testing that.  He used one recurve and one longbow, so I'm not sure how well it applies across the board, but it was interesting nonetheless.  He used a recurve and longbow, not sure the model/design,  of the same draw weight and chronoed them with a variety of arrow weights.  With the lighter arrows, the recurve was quite a bit faster, but as he increased arrow weight, the gap narrowed.  When he got up around 15 gpp or so, I believe the longbow actually caught up and maybe even passed the recurve.  Like I said, I don't know how scientific the test was, but it seemed to indicate that it's not so much that recurves are faster, but that different designs need different arrow weights to maximize efficiency.
Matt Toms

Flatwoods Custom R/D:  64", 47@28
'66 Kodiak: 60", 55@28
Redwing Hunter:  58", 53@28
Ben Pearson 709 Hunter:  58", 47@28
Ben Pearson 709 Hunter:  58", 42@28
Hoots Recurve:  56", 42@28

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2015, 01:39:00 PM »
They grow on you.  They are just more what I have in mind when I think archery.
ChuckC

Offline VA Elite

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2015, 01:43:00 PM »
I want to shoot one!

Offline Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2015, 02:13:00 PM »
Longbows and wood arrows are just way cool. I like shooting recurves too and employ both types in my hunting (especially vintage Bear recurves), but longbows are ultimately where my heart is.
Tradgang Charter Member #35

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©