3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: why so many longbows?  (Read 1327 times)

Offline VA Elite

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: why so many longbows?
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2015, 02:15:00 PM »
Im going to have to shoot one
If you profess with your mouth Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved Romans 10:9

Offline TSP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2015, 02:27:00 PM »
There are so many designs for 'longbows' today that the term no longer has much meaning as a good descriptor.

It seems contradictory to call a heavy recurve- risered bow a longbow just because the string doesn't touch the limb when the bow is strung, yet many do.  And then there are the hybrid bows...light risers sculpted to mimic the locator grip style of recurves, with reflex/deflex limbs (some mild, some severe) built to mimic the castability of a recurve...also usually called longbows.  

You have ASL style (Hill style) longbows, English style longbows, primitive style and myriads of 'stuff' in between.  They're all called longbows, I guess mostly to spare us the inconvenience of accurately defining their differences.  And just maybe because they let us cheat (a little or alot) when bragging about shooting prowess with our 'longbows', as if there's no differences or limitations at all in how each substyle within the style shoots and physically performs.

So I guess the reason why folks shoot them would be as varied as the subdesigns.  I think old-school thinkers more often lean towards the English style/ASL style bows.  The learning curve to reach the same skill level is generally longer/harder with them, and some never do achieve their desired level or tire of the added challenges of trying to get there.  That's ok.  But some tend to blame the bow for their shooting difficulties or discomforts, as if the style  itself is inferior and the cause of their inabilities/disdain, lol.  

I think those who warm up to old school longbow styles also tend to lean more towards old school arrows...usually wood.  Same reason...for more nostalgia and challenge.  And probably in good part because the urge to shoot competitively isn't that important to them.  

There's no telling why anyone loves or hates the bows they try.  All I know is that when I see someone shooting old style longbows and arrows BECAUSE of the added challenges rather than in spite of them, I tend to tip my hat.

Online JDBerry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2015, 03:07:00 PM »
Was going to add to this, then read TSP post. Very well said Sir.  ..OE

Offline Wandering Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2015, 03:14:00 PM »
Sounds like you want us to talk you into getting one, lol. Go for it! Or at least get ahold of one to shoot for awhile. Like TSP said, though, there are really several subdesigns under the designation "Longbow" so if you don't like shooting hybrid, try a hill, or visa versa.

For me, it's what I started with but mostly; lighter, quieter, and I don't much care for the really high wrist grip of most recurves. Mostly though, I just really love how light in the hand a one piece longbow is.

Offline Dave Pagel

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2015, 03:20:00 PM »
I shoot and enjoy many styles of bows, but hunt with RD longbows most of the time now.  I like the way they draw better and the limbs are much more bullet proof.  

I agree that the Hill style bows are more difficult to shoot since I struggle with a grip that isn't more recurve like, but I can get to a point of accuracy if I shoot them enough.  My problem is the "thump".  I played a lot athletics in my early days, especially baseball at a fairly high level for a lot of years.  My right elbow (bow arm) had to be fixed once and I took cortisone shots in my shoulders for a long time. The ortho has told me I will probably need a shoulder replacement and maybe an elbow too on that side.  I have not shot them all, but most Hill style bows rattle those two joints to the point I am out of commission in short order.  The thump is just too much for me.

D.P.

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2015, 03:22:00 PM »
I wanted to shoot one for all the reasons mentioned, and I tried quite a few.  But when it was all said and done, I just shot the recurve better. I do like the idea of not needing a stringer, but I always used one to string my nows, no matter what style.

Oddly enough the only trouble I had with a traditional bow  was a shorter longbow.
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Offline Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2015, 03:42:00 PM »
Here's old school longbow to me:

Steve Turay Northern Mist ASL, Art Vincent back quiver and either 1960's Microflite fiberglass arrows or Paul Jalon/Elite Arrows Autumn Legend custom cedar shaft wood arrows built for Ron LaClair's archery shop.

//

Tradgang Charter Member #35

Offline Chromebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2015, 04:09:00 PM »
Originally posted by TSP:
There are so many designs for 'longbows' today that the term no longer has much meaning as a good descriptor.

It seems contradictory to call a heavy recurve- risered bow a longbow just because the string doesn't touch the limb when the bow is strung, yet many do.  And then there are the hybrid bows...light risers sculpted to mimic the locator grip style of recurves, with reflex/deflex limbs (some mild, some severe) built to mimic the castability of a recurve...also usually called longbows.  

You have ASL style (Hill style) longbows, English style longbows, primitive style and myriads of 'stuff' in between.  They're all called longbows, I guess mostly to spare us the inconvenience of accurately defining their differences.  And just maybe because they let us cheat (a little or alot) when bragging about shooting prowess with our 'longbows', as if there's no differences or limitations at all in how each substyle within the style shoots and physically performs.

So I guess the reason why folks shoot them would be as varied as the subdesigns.  I think old-school thinkers more often lean towards the English style/ASL style bows.  The learning curve to reach the same skill level is generally longer/harder with them, and some never do achieve their desired level or tire of the added challenges of trying to get there.  That's ok.  But some tend to blame the bow for their shooting difficulties or discomforts, as if the style  itself is inferior and the cause of their inabilities/disdain, lol.  

I think those who warm up to old school longbow styles also tend to lean more towards old school arrows...usually wood.  Same reason...for more nostalgia and challenge.  And probably in good part because the urge to shoot competitively isn't that important to them.  

There's no telling why anyone loves or hates the bows they try.  All I know is that when I see someone shooting old style longbows and arrows BECAUSE of the added challenges rather than in spite of them, I tend to tip my hat.
Here here!  It's a pretty muddled longbow world we live in for sure, but it's your journey and you have the freedom to choose from a bunch of novel if not bastardized concepts.  It matters not.

The same nuances exist in all outdoor sports we may dabble in.  All I can say about it is a quote once shared with me..."The highest form of ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about".  So make your own trail and don't look back.

Best.
62" JD Berry Taipan 53@28
60" Super Shrew 2pc 53@28
58" Ed Scott Owl Bow 53@28

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2015, 04:10:00 PM »
It's just another fad!  Been going on for 10,000 years.
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Online STICKBENDER98

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: September 18, 2015, 04:15:00 PM »
I switched to shooting longbows 4 or 5 years ago, I had shot recurves for about 16 years before that, when I made the switch from my compound.  For me it was just wanting to try out something new.  I tried a couple of the short "longbows", I traded for a Kanati from someone here on tradgang, but couldn't get the consistency I thought I should.  (mostly me, the bow was an awesome shooter). I tried a Hill Country and had the same results.  I ended up with a Liberty Rouge from Alan Boise in a trade and shot it great, I ended up selling that one and had a Northern Mist Baraga made for me, I love that bow quick and quiet.  Last year I bought a Northern Mist Whisper that has a reverse grip and shoot that bow as well as any of my recurves, it's quickly becoming my favorite.  So short story long for me it's just the excitement of something new and challenging.  If you do try one out be careful because it can be addicting...I'm planning my third one in my head right now, just don't tell my wife.
Too many bows to list, and so many more I want to try!  Keep the wind in your face, and your broadheads sharp.

Offline fmscan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: September 18, 2015, 04:50:00 PM »
Ray, Wow! Pretty bow, pretty arrows, pretty quiver and arrows. No comment on your picture... Just a nice setup. Makes you want to walk in the woods....

Offline Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: September 18, 2015, 09:04:00 PM »
Originally posted by fmscan:
Ray, Wow! Pretty bow, pretty arrows, pretty quiver and arrows. No comment on your picture... Just a nice setup. Makes you want to walk in the woods....
I love walking in the woods and stump shooting. Did it a lot in the 80's with my Howard Hill bows and judo points.
Tradgang Charter Member #35

Offline Cavscout9753

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: September 18, 2015, 09:13:00 PM »
They'll probably put a Hill bow in my casket with me. An ASL with wood arrows and a back quiver is (to me) the peak of what I've always been after. R/D longbows are great too, I just prefer the simplicity, lightweight, and grips of ASLs. I have no idea what hand shock is, but I will say this about ASLs - for me, it took a total commitment to be consistent. I couldn't/didn't bounce back and forth between these and recurves or R/D's. I went all in. Once I accepted what the bow was wanting from me, the puzzle pieces fell into place. Some folks bounce back and forth with no problem. Others either have to or simply choose to commit. The learning curve can be sharp, and humbling. Many draw lengths shorten up, stance crowds up a tad, but the simplicity is addictive! Good luck!
ΙΧΘΥΣ

Offline Stump73

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: September 18, 2015, 10:12:00 PM »
I just think they are more fun to shoot.
BigJim Thunderchild 54" 52# @ 28"
BigJim Thunderchild 56" 42# @ 28"

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: September 18, 2015, 10:48:00 PM »
On the other hand,

there are long recurves and short recurves and really heavy handled recurves and rather mini handled recurves,

some have nice neat curves, others have long accentuated ( almost siyah sp?) curves.  Some have short limbs compared to their riser, some have short risers, compared to their limbs.  

Some are very reflexed, some are deflexed, some a little of both and some are more straight than others.

Some are green, some are blue some are black. . .  but we call them all recurves and don't feel bad about it.
ChuckC

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: September 18, 2015, 10:55:00 PM »
I have a recurve I love and a longbow I love. I lean more toward the longbow and shoot it almost exclusively now. I'll never get rid of the recurve though....

The longbows, in my opinion, are just easier to deal with from silencing to stringing.

Offline sheepdogreno

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: September 18, 2015, 11:30:00 PM »
Love my curves but my new stik is hard to put down...smoother and just as fast
I'd rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6

Tradtech Titan 2 is my go to platform

Offline COMPOUNDLESS IN CONCRETE

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: September 18, 2015, 11:56:00 PM »
I've owned nothing but recurves (with the exception of home made tree limb longbows as a kid) simply because used recurves at reasonable prices are plentiful.    

The owners son of a local archery shop let me shoot his 45 lb Martin Savannah about 2 months ago and I've been looking for a good deal on a used one since.  I immediately noticed how much smoother it was than the recurves I'm used to shooting, and how it felt lighter than 45 lbs in comparison.  I found a used Savannah Stealth and it should be here next friday.
"I am the way, the truth, and the life, no man cometh to the father except by me."  John 14:6

Offline WildmanSC

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: September 19, 2015, 10:14:00 AM »
I've owned 250+ recurves and longbows over the past 15 years.  It didn't matter what kind of bow it was, I always used a bowstringer to string and unstring the bow.  Now the I've retired, I've owned one recurve for over 2 years now.  It is as quiet as any of the longbows I ever owned and it has a low, recurve grip.  I love it.  The Morrison Cheyenne with Max 1 limbs is hard to beat, IMHO!  :)

Bill
TGMM Family of the Bow

-----------------------------------
Groves Flame Recurve 62", 45#@28"

Praise the Lord Jesus Christ, He is Worthy

Offline BWallace10327

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: September 20, 2015, 08:32:00 AM »
I like the draw force curve of a r/d longbow more than that of a extreme hybrid or a recurve. I like the way they look. It is unlikely to twist a limb and I don't have to keep track of a stringer. I think they are easier to tune, quieter, and are more forgiving of errors that I can be very good at making. I've owned and shot some nice recurves, but my accuracy in the field has not been the same as with a bent (fiberglass-laminate) stick.
***$ Brent Wallace $***
NRA Life Time Member

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©